The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

France has a strong tradition of secularism. If you don't like it, tough.
Reply 21
Original post by HAnwar
Yes, how dare a woman cover up and choose what she'd like to do with her own body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When the wear is clearly disproportionate compared to the society hosting her, then it is up to the society to decide whether that is acceptable or not.

And, as above, go tell that to Saudi Arabia. Or any other traditional Muslim country.
Original post by childofthesun
Ridiculous on so many levels. Firstly, how on earth do burkinis signify an allegiance to a terrorist movement? Next thing you know by wearing a simple hijab you might as well be waving the Daesh flag.

'Good customs' is the founding principle of the French Republic, but evidently good customs doesn't include the right for women to dress as they please. People criticise Saudi for their strict regulations on female dressing, but I wonder how many will extend criticism to the French in this case, or is feminism only about being able to wear bikinis and the right not to be covered up? :rolleyes: Thierry Migoule labels the burkini as ostentatious- I wonder if he knows what the word means?

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!

Wearing a burkini signifies that you hold your religion to be more important than anything else.Since
its not actually a requirement to wear one in Islam, its taking islam to the extreme.The difference is that in saudi its not a choice to be covered up and this is an extension of that.Muslim women are forced or indoctrinated into believing they must cover up.They dont do it out of free choice.By banning it we're protecting their right to free expression and the right not to be forced into covering up.Using liberty,equality and fraternity in that context is just bastardising the original meaning of the term since Islam is completely at odds with enlightenment values.
Original post by Robby2312
Wearing a burkini signifies that you hold your religion to be more important than anything else.Since
its not actually a requirement to wear one in Islam, its taking islam to the extreme.The difference is that in saudi its not a choice to be covered up and this is an extension of that.Muslim women are forced or indoctrinated into believing they must cover up.They dont do it out of free choice.By banning it we're protecting their right to free expression and the right not to be forced into covering up.Using liberty,equality and fraternity in that context is just bastardising the original meaning of the term since Islam is completely at odds with enlightenment values.

I don't think you know much about Islam.
Original post by Ribbit1234
It won't work so the French president can go f himself. They banned the burka too, but subhanallah, praise be to God, it didn't stop Muslim women from wearing it. Bless the French Muslim sisters in France x

And why on bloody earth would you want to wear a burka? Do you even know what that is?
Reply 25
I'm all for banning certain types of clothing in professional situations like work and school. However, when the country tries to impose on people what to wear in their everyday life then that's wrong. Saying to women that they are not allowed to cover up is just as bad as telling them that they have to. What if someone wanted to cover up for non religious reasons? Also the reason they give... how does a burkini support terrorism? This is just getting silly
Original post by mercuryman
And why on bloody earth would you want to wear a burka? Do you even know what that is?

Full body cover?
Utterly ridiculous it's a flipping swimsuit. 😑
I don't see how Burkinis show an allegiance to any terror group, he's pretty much accusing all Muslims of having an allegiance with terrorists, as the Burkini is nothing more than religious swimwear.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IdeasForLife
Full body cover?

image.jpg

Yes. Mate it's no surprise France have banned this. Just want on earth is this, it's making me feel sick, this is not islamic at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Robby2312

Saudi laws surely don't apply in France, where it would be a free choice.
Original post by mercuryman

Yes. Mate it's no surprise France have banned this. Just want on earth is this, it's making me feel sick, this is not islamic at all.

What proof have you got for things like niqab burkha etc not being islamic?
Reply 32
Original post by teenhorrorstory
The mayor of Cannes has banned the wearing of burkinis - full-body swimsuits - on the beaches of the French Riviera resort famous for its annual film festival, officials said on Thursday.
Mayor David Lisnard signed off on the ruling that "access to beaches and for swimming is banned to anyone who does not have (bathing apparel) which respects good customs and secularism," which is a founding principle of the French republic.
"Beachwear which ostentatiously diplays religious affiliation, when France and places of worship are currently the target of terrorist attacks, is liable to create risks of disrupting public order (crowds, scuffles etc) which it is necessary to prevent," it says.
Thierry Migoule, head of municipal services for the town, sought to clarify the ruling's intent.
"We are not talking about banning the wearing of religious symbols on the beach ... but ostentatious clothing which refers to an allegiance to terrorist movements which are at war with us," he said.

Burkinis banned on Cannes Riviera beaches by French mayor - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/AVJQTqAaaRaKTNe5_BrQzIQ

Thoughts?? I think this is quite frankly ridiculous.

I think she is absolutely right
Let them wear what they want. They shouldn't be forced to wear actual bikinis much like they shouldn't be forced by anyone to wear burkinis.
Everyone saying, "we can't do this!, it'll push Muslims in to the hands of Isis".

I'm sorry, but if we shouldn't do this due to avoid upsetting Muslims and turning them into terrorists, doesn't that say something about Muslims and Islam?

It's just a cancer on the world like any other religion. Religions are evil and were invented by men to control women.
I bet if bikinis were banned in France there would be a madness. I don't see how this is any different.
Original post by Nadile
Also the reason they give... how does a burkini support terrorism? This is just getting silly

It's estimated around 150 women all over the EU are murdered in religious honour killings every year (we get 10-15 alone in England every 12 months), mostly over stuff like what they decide to wear or who they decide to date.

I don't really think it's getting silly, European governments have got to combat this kind of violence in families somehow.

Banning full body Burkas and telling Islamic community here that it's not acceptable in the west is just one such fix.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ban the burkini/burqa. It's absolutely ridiculous for me not to even be able to identify who's who. What's if it's a male terrorist or a robber under there? Faces should be visible at all times.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cashcash871
I bet if bikinis were banned in France there would be a madness. I don't see how this is any different.

Totally different. Bikinis don't represent a religion. France has a strong secular belief. Nobody makes anyone live in France so if they think don't like it, they can leave, maybe to Saudi Arabia or Iran and then see how they feel about Islamic attitudes towards women. They'll be running back to Europe I can assure you.
Original post by IdeasForLife
What proof have you got for things like niqab burkha etc not being islamic?

We've discussed this in ISOC.
There are a few Hadiths that hint the niqab. (Yes, this isn't even in the Quran)

But nothing supports the burka though. There is no evidence for it whatsoever.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending