The Student Room Group

Joining university with a medical condition:

What happens in the first week? Do you register with the local GP and just continue your monthly prescription? What about payments?
Original post by lalalightwood
What happens in the first week? Do you register with the local GP and just continue your monthly prescription? What about payments?

Depends on the condition.
Will it affect your ability to do the course?

The Uni will have people in charge of disabilities and mental health. They can assist in making sure adjustments are made to assist you on your course.

You should also tell your department or course titor if it will impact your performance and anyting they need to do.

The Uni will also have its own clinic usually. You cna register with them or a local GP.

Just common sense to make sure they are aware, have put in place anything you need and you have access to medical care and advice.
Is your condition minor or major? Because my consultant said he would contact a consultant in the area, depending on which university I go to. When I actually go that is...
Original post by ColossalAtom
Is your condition minor or major? Because my consultant said he would contact a consultant in the area, depending on which university I go to. When I actually go that is...

Type 1 Diabetes... so major?
Original post by 999tigger
Depends on the condition.
Will it affect your ability to do the course?

The Uni will have people in charge of disabilities and mental health. They can assist in making sure adjustments are made to assist you on your course.

You should also tell your department or course titor if it will impact your performance and anyting they need to do.

The Uni will also have its own clinic usually. You cna register with them or a local GP.

Just common sense to make sure they are aware, have put in place anything you need and you have access to medical care and advice.

I have Type 1 Diabetes.. so although it's not really going to affect my performance at univerisity, I am dependant on my medication. I'm worried most about the transition from home-uni, and whether I'd be recieving my medication from the set GP. Thank you.
I have Type 1 Diabetes.. so although it's not really going to affect my performance at univerisity, I am dependant on my medication. I'm worried most about the transition from home-uni, and whether I'd be recieving my medication from the set GP. Thank you.

Ok theres no harm in letting.

1. Department and tutor know.
2. People in charge of hall assuming thats where you are going.
3. The disabilities team- they can advise you on medical facilities at the Uni, some have full clinics. you can then decide whether you wnat to reguster there or elsewhere. Just look it up on the website. Am sure they must have had plenty of experience with diabetics. Sooner you noify and become satisfied things are in place then it can put your mind at ease.

Thats what I would do. Practical really.
Type 1 Diabetes... so major?

It certainly would be. How do you get your medication at the moment? I get all my medication from a company, who drops it off at a nearby Lloyd's pharmacy, which I have to go there myself to pick up the box of medication. I'm worried a little bit too when my time comes. I can't imagine students seeing me swallow like ten pills when I eat my breakfast.
It certainly would be. How do you get your medication at the moment? I get all my medication from a company, who drops it off at a nearby Lloyd's pharmacy, which I have to go there myself to pick up the box of medication. I'm worried a little bit too when my time comes. I can't imagine students seeing me swallow like ten pills when I eat my breakfast.

Same- repeat prescription. Because I've been geting my med from the same place for nearly a decade, I'm concerned to whether they might mess up the prescription and leave me around scrambling. Also, GP, I don't know if it would be worth registering up my uni, or just returning home for appointments. I agree, I've contacted my uni bc I have to store my meds in the fridge, so I've asked for a mini one to keep in my room- don't want to imagine the shock on someones face due to them opening the fridge and seeing it already half full!
Original post by 999tigger
Ok theres no harm in letting.

1. Department and tutor know.
2. People in charge of hall assuming thats where you are going.
3. The disabilities team- they can advise you on medical facilities at the Uni, some have full clinics. you can then decide whether you wnat to reguster there or elsewhere. Just look it up on the website. Am sure they must have had plenty of experience with diabetics. Sooner you noify and become satisfied things are in place then it can put your mind at ease.

Thats what I would do. Practical really.

I was concerned about contacting the disabilities team because I know some people [like me] don't really see it as a disability, and I found it hard to contact them without somehow applying for DSA. :biggrin: But I see what you mean- I'm going to prepare what I'm going to send to my uni come Results Day. Thank you for your advice.
I was concerned about contacting the disabilities team because I know some people [like me] don't really see it as a disability, and I found it hard to contact them without somehow applying for DSA. :biggrin: But I see what you mean- I'm going to prepare what I'm going to send to my uni come Results Day. Thank you for your advice.

Just contact them and see whether they can or do offer any practical assistance. they will ahve dealt with it before. They will know whats available better than you. Uoi might need nothing but a bit of advice and referring to the clinic.

Do think whether it will umpact your studies, in which case your department should know.
Same- repeat prescription. Because I've been geting my med from the same place for nearly a decade, I'm concerned to whether they might mess up the prescription and leave me around scrambling. Also, GP, I don't know if it would be worth registering up my uni, or just returning home for appointments. I agree, I've contacted my uni bc I have to store my meds in the fridge, so I've asked for a mini one to keep in my room- don't want to imagine the shock on someones face due to them opening the fridge and seeing it already half full!

Have you had an experience where your prescription was messed up? Sounds like your uni isn't too far from home if you can travel back for an appointment.
Reply 11
You can cure type 1 diabetes with diet, herbs mainly and homeopathy. Mainstream medicine treats conditions but does not cure them.

Every disease has a cure, except death.
Reply 12

You don't have to change GP straight away (or at all). If you do change then wait until immediately after you've collected your prescription - this leaves you a month to get things sorted before the next is due.
Original post by Gman786
You can cure type 1 diabetes with diet, herbs mainly and homeopathy. Mainstream medicine treats conditions but does not cure them.

Every disease has a cure, except death.

Type 1, not type 2 diabetes. You can't 2 "cure" diabetes, injecting the insulin is to compensate for what the pancreas can no longer do. I wouldn't say it's a cure because I can not fix my body to do what it's supposed to do. I'm not saying it's a disability, but it is impossible to get rid of i, just manage it and lesson it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you had an experience where your prescription was messed up? Sounds like your uni isn't too far from home if you can travel back for an appointment.

Oh yes. One time they sent the wrong types of medication- luckily I had enough spares so that I didn't go without [which could have went wrong], but I'm still concerned about it happening at university, whereas I might not be oversupplied as much. It's around an hour by car, which I think could justify the travelling back and forth once a month.

Quick Reply

Latest