The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
Congratulations on your score, it's amazing! :biggrin:
Couldn't agree more about the 1000 Qs book, though.

Thanks im just glad im freee :biggrin:
Original post by Susi3b
How hard ws the QR? im doing so badly in that section :frown: were there loads of looking at various graphs and table type questions?

Heya

Thank you. As for tips I would say for QR dont skip the decision making as it has some maths question in there and try to do them to get your head in the maths mindset. Just try to take a deep breath and read the question fully sometimes you can miss out seriously simple things. also what i did was in the decision making time coz i had 30 mins i wrote down all then formulas like %change area of different shapes....speed formula as it all helped....other than that just dont panic when you get a tough quesiton flag and move on as there are much easeir questions towards the end....
As for VR in my opinion the statemnts only seem long (2 lines) because the screens resolution is different to our computers so dont panic for statemnt VR skim read then answer for t/f/ct passages read the question first then pick out key word and try to answer then....hope this was helpful...
Original post by bluebell786
well done on your score! Was verbal mainly the statement style questions? Also in the AR were the patterns relatively simple or quite complex? Thank you!

Heya

Thank you. As for tips I would say for QR dont skip the decision making as it has some maths question in there and try to do them to get your head in the maths mindset. Just try to take a deep breath and read the question fully sometimes you can miss out seriously simple things. also what i did was in the decision making time coz i had 30 mins i wrote down all then formulas like %change area of different shapes....speed formula as it all helped....other than that just dont panic when you get a tough quesiton flag and move on as there are much easeir questions towards the end....
As for VR in my opinion the statemnts only seem long (2 lines) because the screens resolution is different to our computers so dont panic for statemnt VR skim read then answer for t/f/ct passages read the question first then pick out key word and try to answer then....hope this was helpful...
As for AR the questions were not that complex although the series one were a buit tricky....main advice write the different ways you detect the patterns on the white thing they give to write in the time yuo have before you start AR...preferably in the decision making session as you have nothing else to do :tongue:

Good luck!
Original post by Gogregg
I think your score would definitely be good enough :smile:
There's a score calculator for Birmingham which you can use ( you get it from their website) and you can work out your score using Leicester's admission document, and then make a more informed decision for yourself based on your score. I don't know much about Barts, but your score is quite high, so i wouldn't be too concerned about it for most other unis if it comes to that :h:

It would depend on the averages. If you were to be high enough, you would probably be on the low side of the cut-off (if they have one, which i think they do, but i might be wrong). I think kings look at multiple aspects of your application and i think it balances out, but you'd be better looking at their website for yourself and looking at their past cut offs. We can't do the research for you, that's something you'll have to do yourself.

Okay thanks and I just thought people on here might know haha
Original post by saudkhan2508
Heya

Aw thank you! and congrats on your great score!!
Original post by Moodicrus
I sat the test today. hate the 1000 ukcat book, I really think it overestimates the difficulty on AR and QR. Medify is God's gift to medics ( and dentists and vets) its just soooo good, AR and QR were at the same level. In situational judgement the texts were longer in my actual exam but the difficulty was the same, I actually got band 1 wich i had never got in mocks before.

The official UKCAT mock QR are ridiculously long, I didn't get one question that long Although I got questions that were harder than Medify IMO my friend who was apprehensive about QR actually did really well in it so dont take the UKCAT mocks as Gospel, or even a Psalm cos its not accurate for that. AR and SJ were fine though. What got me on QR was the wording of the questions, I tended to read it too fast and then miss out a key word like ' not' or I would assume I had to work out the percentage when the answers were only values.

However, nothing could've prepared me for VR today :frown: . I went in there expecting to have a mix of 'true false cant tell' and the longer ones. But lo and behold, i got TWO 'true false cant tell' and the rest were the longer ones it was ridiculous I was so annoyed since VR was normally my best. Just be ready for that. I ended up getting 640 770 800 B1 in VR QR AR ST respectively but VR really let me down :frown:

Well done on your amazing score, when you say you got 2 true or false ones, is that 2 sets of 4 im guessing?? so 8 questions? also i've heard the QR is easier than medify in the real thing as i struglle with some medify ones in the time limits
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Some of those on medify are quite big - i have to agree with that. You might get one or two like that, but most will be much shorter.

oh how come evryone says medify is easier than the real thing then? surly if they were prepared enough by these questions on medify
Original post by Moodicrus
I sat the test today. hate the 1000 ukcat book, I really think it overestimates the difficulty on AR and QR. Medify is God's gift to medics ( and dentists and vets) its just soooo good, AR and QR were at the same level. In situational judgement the texts were longer in my actual exam but the difficulty was the same, I actually got band 1 wich i had never got in mocks before.

The official UKCAT mock QR are ridiculously long, I didn't get one question that long Although I got questions that were harder than Medify IMO my friend who was apprehensive about QR actually did really well in it so dont take the UKCAT mocks as Gospel, or even a Psalm cos its not accurate for that. AR and SJ were fine though. What got me on QR was the wording of the questions, I tended to read it too fast and then miss out a key word like ' not' or I would assume I had to work out the percentage when the answers were only values.

However, nothing could've prepared me for VR today :frown: . I went in there expecting to have a mix of 'true false cant tell' and the longer ones. But lo and behold, i got TWO 'true false cant tell' and the rest were the longer ones it was ridiculous I was so annoyed since VR was normally my best. Just be ready for that. I ended up getting 640 770 800 B1 in VR QR AR ST respectively but VR really let me down :frown:

Hey that's really awesome! Well done!! I wish I get like that. Been slowly doing medify but think I may have started too early. Yea the a&m complete guide warned against the difficulty of some of the official mock questions :/

you must be so relieved that it's over though. This is making me dread my existence :frown:
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Ahh, I made a mistake and bought the UniAdmissions question booklet along with their online content >.<. Definitely do not recommend that site guys!!

On another note, I've spent 2 weeks just familliarising my self with the exam and noticed quite an improvement with my VR and AR (not hard as I was very very sh**). I plan on working 2/3 hours a day for 5 days with the 3 weeks I have left. Has anyone purchased the MedicPortal online question bank? I'm running out of questions and I finished the demo mode of their online questions and it seemed pretty legit and almost mirrored Medify (which is the best UKCAT reviewer).

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Took my test. 700 plus. My resources: 1200 book, official website, 2 weeks modifyFree questions on various websiteStudied 3 to 4 hours a day with breaksPrepared for 4 weeksPhewFocusing on BMAT Now. Would it be easier or harder than UKCAT ?
Original post by Pra99
Are you getting 63-66% for all the sub tests?

Nope! For QR I get 50%+ because of the bad interface so I just guess them all generally. SJT is usually 55-65% but recently I've been getting 43% in my last two tests because the questions are a little too obscure for me. For AR I've gone from 43%-83% so I guess that it's just practice there.
Original post by dangertiger
Took my test. 700 plus. My resources: 1200 book, official website, 2 weeks modifyFree questions on various websiteStudied 3 to 4 hours a day with breaksPrepared for 4 weeksPhewFocusing on BMAT Now. Would it be easier or harder than UKCAT ?

I've been told it's harder but in 2014 they changed the spec for the BMAT and since then the questions have been a bit more relaxed and manageable, especially for section 2 which tests your scientific knowledge. I think the only issue is that it'll be easier to go down the scoring scale now that people will be getting higher scores.
Original post by studentsixth
Nope! For QR I get 50%+ because of the bad interface so I just guess them all generally. SJT is usually 55-65% but recently I've been getting 43% in my last two tests because the questions are a little too obscure for me. For AR I've gone from 43%-83% so I guess that it's just practice there.

My AR scores went from 50 to 83 percent too. But im thinking the questions get easier. How are you finding the difficulty of the QR questions? For me, some just take too long to do.
Original post by emmaK98
Hey that's really awesome! Well done!! I wish I get like that. Been slowly doing medify but think I may have started too early. Yea the a&m complete guide warned against the difficulty of some of the official mock questions :/

you must be so relieved that it's over though. This is making me dread my existence :frown:

I'm so happy I can now have a proper summer holiday!! :biggrin: ( before results next week -_-)
Original post by clairebear101
Well done on your amazing score, when you say you got 2 true or false ones, is that 2 sets of 4 im guessing?? so 8 questions? also i've heard the QR is easier than medify in the real thing as i struglle with some medify ones in the time limits

Yeah 8 questions, sorry if that wasn't clear. Some people have said it was easier, my friend who was very apprehensive about QR and used Medify found that the real thing was easier and he got 750 in QR. I personally found my actual UKCAT QR to be harder, but its hard to give a general idea since everyone sits a different test. Its fine to struggle with some QR questions, lawd knows I don't think its healthy to aim for 100% so getting some wring is fine, just take an educated guess. AR was by far my worst and I was dreading it so much, in mocks i got 580,670 and 640,never even close to the 800 i got in the real thing, and I think thats partly because my guessing game is strong, educated guesses can save you a lot of hassle. During the test I thought i did so badly bc there were a few patterns I just had no clue about but I think the bad sections stick in your mind more than the good so don't worry too much about it! just work through the set of questions as calmly as possible, and use DM as a nice break!
Original post by Pra99
My AR scores went from 50 to 83 percent too. But im thinking the questions get easier. How are you finding the difficulty of the QR questions? For me, some just take too long to do.

Yeah for me it's not the difficulty as such, it's just the amount of time that needs to be spent which then drags my score down each time! I personally found Medify a much better resource to use than Kaplan for QR and I get much more time to do them in compared to Kaplan. For me, VR's difficulty has roughly stayed the same and SJT has always been an awkward one so I'm not too fussed about either.
Original post by gagandeep07
Okay... I would say that the work experience in your gap year would support your application. These experiences will make it more competitive.

Also, I presume that you applied for deferred entry (or just re-applying) last year. Can I ask what your ukcat score was for each section last year?

Yeah I intend on doing some more work experience if I intake a gap year and applied for 2016 entry last year not deferred so now I would be re-applying for 2017 entry.

Last year my UKCAT was very very poor which is why I got rejected from 3 UKCAT uni's without an interview
score was :
VR: 470
QR:700
AR:610
DA:610
SJT: band 2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mliela
This gives you an average of 646.6. It's a decent score but not good enough for UKCAT heavy universities.
Manchester: avoid applying here. Last years UKCAT cutoff was 665. Even looking at previous years your score is lower than most cutoffs.
Barts: once again quite UKCAT heavy so avoid this one. However previously they balance the UKCAT score and UCAS tarrif so you'll need to check the updated requirements.
Cardiff: avoid Cardiff. Usually require over 7A*s at GCSE.
Avoid kings and Newcastle also because of UKCAT.
Is your b in English literature or language?
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf
This website has a table of requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that is for medicine i'm guessing? I'm applying for Dentistry which tends to have lower UKCAT cutoffs. (e.g. last year someone with a 620 I know got an offer so the cutoff can't be 665) The B is in english language and was wondering if you have any information on how Dundee/Glasgow/Cardfiff/Newcastle use to UKCAT scores for dentistry.

Original post by mliela
Don't let some of the high scores posted here scare you. But remember although lower scores aren't awful they will prevent you from applying to many places.

Thats very true
Can anyone clarify how the SJT awards partial marks?

In the Kaplan book I read that a partial mark is only given if the degree of appropriateness is misjudged provided the answer fits within that side - i.e. if you put 'Inappropriate but not awful' but the correct answer was 'Very inappropriate' you get partial marks.

However, on Medify if you put 'appropriate but not ideal', you would still get a partial mark if the correct answer is 'inappropriate but not awful'.

Slightly confused on this one
Original post by Agent R5
I think that is for medicine i'm guessing? I'm applying for Dentistry which tends to have lower UKCAT cutoffs. (e.g. last year someone with a 620 I know got an offer so the cutoff can't be 665) The B is in english language and was wondering if you have any information on how Dundee/Glasgow/Cardfiff/Newcastle use to UKCAT scores for dentistry.

Thats very true

Sorry I assumed medicine. Just google it. Literally type in dentistry requirements uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harpal10
Can anyone clarify how the SJT awards partial marks?

In the Kaplan book I read that a partial mark is only given if the degree of appropriateness is misjudged provided the answer fits within that side - i.e. if you put 'Inappropriate but not awful' but the correct answer was 'Very inappropriate' you get partial marks.

However, on Medify if you put 'appropriate but not ideal', you would still get a partial mark if the correct answer is 'inappropriate but not awful'.

Slightly confused on this one

Partially correct = Your answer is one step away from the real answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending