The Student Room Group

Academic background for top Msc

Hi,

I'm currently due to start my third and final year of studies this September and was thinking of doing a Masters in Finance. I didn't do very well for A' levels and am currently at a mid-tier university (Sussex). I am however due to graduate with a strong 1:1, so I wonder how this would place me in comparison to the other applicants from more prestigious schools?

I saw on Imperial's website whereby they mentioned strong A level grades and wonder do they take that into account?

I'm interested in entering IB with a view to go into private equity eventually so am looking at the usual target: Imperial, LSE, Warwick, CASS, UCL. (did I miss any?)

Looking forward to advise from any past applicants or anyone with experience with this.

Cheers!
Reply 1
From your post, you sound like you're already on track for a good degree. Just make sure you write a good personal statement and have good referees and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't say you're "due to graduate with a strong 1:1" You may be on course for a high First but you've still got roughly half your marks still to come so you're not due anything at the moment.

Good luck in your applications though.
I also ended up with pretty average A level results and a 1st from a mid-tier uni. I got a lot of offers for an Msc in Management including Warwick (only place I applied and failed to get an offer was Imperial) - I think stuff like your personal statement and any work experience is more important than your A level results tbh but in the case of Imperial they might hold you back, hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by showmethemonies
I also ended up with pretty average A level results and a 1st from a mid-tier uni. I got a lot of offers for an Msc in Management including Warwick (only place I applied and failed to get an offer was Imperial) - I think stuff like your personal statement and any work experience is more important than your A level results tbh but in the case of Imperial they might hold you back, hope this helps!

Hi,

That was heartening to hear and congratulations on your offers! Warwick is actually one of the schools I intend to apply to as well. Did any of the schools request for A-level grades/transcript during the course of your application?

If you don't mind, it would be great if you could share your profile! (internship, leadership positions, etc)

Cheers!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theolck
Hi,

That was heartening to hear and congratulations on your offers! Warwick is actually one of the schools I intend to apply to as well. Did any of the schools request for A-level grades/transcript during the course of your application?

If you don't mind, it would be great if you could share your profile! (internship, leadership positions, etc)

Cheers!

Thanks, yeah Warwick looks really good and I can't wait to start!

Errm I'm trying to remember but I think the only course that I put in my A Levels for was Imperial College as they require you to submit a proper CV as well as a personal statement (the others mainly just wanted the statement and undergraduate transcripts).

Sure, I'd done two marketing/development internships abroad and the leadership positions were mainly a few instances of volunteer teaching and being a course rep at uni. I was 'only' on course for a mid 2:1 when I applied so if you're sitting on a 1st you'll definitely be in a good position.

Also try and make sure you have good relationship with your referees or at least talk a bit with them about your application as I think they can really make or break your application!

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by showmethemonies
Thanks, yeah Warwick looks really good and I can't wait to start!

Errm I'm trying to remember but I think the only course that I put in my A Levels for was Imperial College as they require you to submit a proper CV as well as a personal statement (the others mainly just wanted the statement and undergraduate transcripts).

Sure, I'd done two marketing/development internships abroad and the leadership positions were mainly a few instances of volunteer teaching and being a course rep at uni. I was 'only' on course for a mid 2:1 when I applied so if you're sitting on a 1st you'll definitely be in a good position.

Also try and make sure you have good relationship with your referees or at least talk a bit with them about your application as I think they can really make or break your application!

Hope this helps!

Yeah this has helped a lot! Thanks. I've actually contacted the various universities and from the looks of it, only Imperial takes A-levels into account.

Anyway thanks for your help and all the best at Warwick!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending