The Student Room Group

Heroes vs. Villains

Easy question for the beginning of the day - who is your favorite hero and/or villain in fiction? (Films, books, games, anything!) Anti-hero can go under the hero category :tongue:

For myself, I find villains far more interesting than heroes! I just hate the goody-two shoes heroes!

Villain: Darth Vader

I just think he is the most iconic villain, and I know that he redeems himself (Spoilers :ahee:) but everything about him is great; appearance, voice, attitude etc.

Who do you find more interesting? What makes a good villain/hero?

(Disclaimer: I'm on a bit of a Star Wars hype today due to the new trailer, so that may have influenced my opinion)
Favourite villain is Voldemort. Villians are more interesting, as they tend to have more depth and story behind their character than heros, as you find out what made them who they are
Reply 2
Favourite villain is Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot. In the film, he is just a typical scary vampire with no dialogue and it's pretty flat but in the book he talks, he is charming, charismatic and the polar opposite from the film and that makes him all the more scary to me because he had the power to allure anyone and he is very quick witted too.

Another favourite villain of mine is Annie Wilkes from Misery. With her, it's the opposite. I couldn't really connect with her in the book and didn't enjoy it as much but I loved the film and Kathy Bates couldn't have done a better job at that role.

As you can tell, I'm a Stephen King fan girl :colondollar: I've been re-reading his books over the summer for the first time in a few years. Been the highlight of my summer :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Favourite villain is Voldemort. Villians are more interesting, as they tend to have more depth and story behind their character than heros, as you find out what made them who they are

Ah Voldemort is a good shout, I really need to watch the films again! JK Rowling did a brilliant job at character development, I can only aspire to be as good as her :colondollar:

Original post by Spock's Socks
Favourite villain is Kurt Barlow from Salem's Lot. In the film, he is just a typical scary vampire with no dialogue and it's pretty flat but in the book he talks, he is charming, charismatic and the polar opposite from the film and that makes him all the more scary to me because he had the power to allure anyone and he is very quick witted too.

Another favourite villain of mine is Annie Wilkes from Misery. With her, it's the opposite. I couldn't really connect with her in the book and didn't enjoy it as much but I loved the film and Kathy Bates couldn't have done a better job at that role.

As you can tell, I'm a Stephen King fan girl :colondollar: I've been re-reading his books over the summer for the first time in a few years. Been the highlight of my summer :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I've read much of Stephen King :frown: So bad I know! Funny how you've highlighted a contrast between the book and film versions though, I think that's why I prefer films over books because I can actually see it.
As a hero I would say my favourite is Jean Valjean from Les Misérables of Victor Hugo. I love kind, positive people, and Jean Valjean is just the depiction of kindness and positiveness. As for villains, I loved them more when I was younger, now not so much. I liked Darth Vader when I was a child, but still, Scar from The Lion King will always stay as my favourite villain :3
I guess depending on your interpretation of the following, some could be considered a mix of heroes and/or villains in some regards, and some antiheroes. In any case, these are my favourite characters. I don't tend to prefer one or the other, but I do prefer the more powerful characters.

Frank Underwood
Tony Soprano
Tywin Lannister
Walter White
Jesse Pinkman
Severus Snape
Reply 6
Original post by MrDystopia
I guess depending on your interpretation of the following, some could be considered a mix of heroes and/or villains in some regards, and some antiheroes. In any case, these are my favourite characters. I don't tend to prefer one or the other, but I do prefer the more powerful characters.

Frank Underwood
Tony Soprano
Tywin Lannister
Walter White
Jesse Pinkman
Severus Snape

I love him, and Kevin Spacey, but my god... when he pushed a certain person in front of a moving vehicle in season 1 (or 2 I can't remember) I was like :zomg: He is evil! But that's why I love him :colone: Very calculating villain

Quick Reply

Latest