The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I know it's still early days, but the current poll suggests that more than 70% of people who have undertaken the test have achieved more than 700 in the UKCAT. Last years TSR poll showed only 40% managed to achieved this mark.

The poll is currently suggesting that there is a high likelihood that grades are likely to be inflated( like 2014) :/

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3464129
Reply 41
apologies for my poor english
Reply 42
Original post by saran23
I know it's still early days, but the current poll suggests that more than 70% of people who have undertaken the test have achieved more than 700 in the UKCAT. Last years TSR poll showed only 40% managed to achieved this mark.

The poll is currently suggesting that there is a high likelihood that grades are likely to be inflated( like 2014) :/

Well, I guess everyone is trying hard, especially with one section removed. One can just hope for the best.

Good luck to us all. *
Reply 43
Original post by 123ash
Well, I guess everyone is trying hard, especially with one section removed. One can just hope for the best.

Good luck to us all. *

Yes, good luck to us all
Original post by saran23

You cant really base whether there has been an inflation off this thread though, not may people have answered in correlation with the amount of people taking the test.

I have to admit myself though that I have seen a lot more high scores this year, DA was always a section where people generally had their scores pulled down so maybe this year we will see a slight increase in the average. Nobody will know till late september.
Reply 45
Original post by Natalierm2707
You cant really base whether there has been an inflation off this thread though, not may people have answered in correlation with the amount of people taking the test.

I have to admit myself though that I have seen a lot more high scores this year, DA was always a section where people generally had their scores pulled down so maybe this year we will see a slight increase in the average. Nobody will know till late september.

I have to admit that a sample size of 50 is not truly representative of the thousands of students taking the UKCAT. But hearing lots of high average scores like you said just made me wonder.

It is best to wait for official data from UKCAT themselves.
Original post by saran23
I have to admit that a sample size of 50 is not truly representative of the thousands of students taking the UKCAT. But hearing lots of high average scores like you said just made me wonder.

It is best to wait for official data from UKCAT themselves.

Oh yes 100% I would wait for some official data from the UKCAT themselves as it will be way more representative, obviously is ok to make prelim guesses of where your score lies, but if your into UKCAT heavy med schools then wait to determine whether or not you definitely want to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I think they will be higher, for all the obvious reasons. But not too much. I think we're reading into too few results, too soon. Naturally though, because we're afraid. Well at least I am.

:smile:
I wish we could see last year's poll at different stages in the UKCAT period, it'd be interesting to see how the distribution of scores between bands progresses over time. As it stands, everyone scoring below 725 sit in the bottom half of the cohort; you'd assume that won't be the case by the end of the cycle! Anyway, the previous polls are quite interesting:

without 2016.jpg

Plotting the distribution of scores from TSR poll respondents over the years, with entire cohort means by year overlayed with matching colour, its fascinating how consistent they are (bar the 2013 exam for 2014 entry, when I understand DA pulled everyone's score up significantly). Granted, these are crude representations of the real distributions, with scores grouped by 50 point bands (700-750 etc.) and simply centred on the median of the range. Nonetheless, it's an indicator of how consistent the complete polls are. Not only in the distribution of scores, but in the distribution's peaking relative to the mean score for the entire cohort (not just TSR) that year. It seems that the centre of TSR's most common score band sits 50 points above the average. You could even argue that the entire cohort mean can be predicted from that year's distribution, coinciding with the 17.5-20% range of the upward projection... Adding this year's poll so far is a complete mess; I'd suggest that if it's going to be anything approaching consistent with previous years, it's far from done. :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Chikkinn
I wish we could see last year's poll at different stages in the UKCAT period, it'd be interesting to see how the distribution of scores between bands progresses over time. As it stands, everyone scoring below 725 sit in the bottom half of the cohort; you'd assume that won't be the case by the end of the cycle! Anyway, the previous polls are quite interesting:

without 2016.jpg

Plotting the distribution of scores from TSR poll respondents over the years, with entire cohort means by year overlayed with matching colour, its fascinating how consistent they are (bar the 2013 exam for 2014 entry, when I understand DA pulled everyone's score up significantly). Granted, these are crude representations of the real distributions, with scores grouped by 50 point bands (700-750 etc.) and simply centred on the median of the range. Nonetheless, it's an indicator of how consistent the complete polls are. Not only in the distribution of scores, but in the distribution's peaking relative to the mean score for the entire cohort (not just TSR) that year. It seems that the centre of TSR's most common score band sits 50 points above the average. You could even argue that the entire cohort mean can be predicted from that year's distribution, coinciding with the 17.5-20% range of the upward projection... Adding this year's poll so far is a complete mess; I'd suggest that if it's going to be anything approaching consistent with previous years, it's far from done. :biggrin:

That's actually very interesting. It seems 700+ is actually not such a bad score at a ll. But eh, ho. I don't think i'll be getting close to that, however positive i try to remain!
Reply 50

without 2016.jpg

Very interesting indeed.
Maybe we may see a backward shift in the normal distribution for 2017 entry because traditionally people who take the test early generally tend to do better due to little interference with school/uni work etc. So I guess we have to wait it out till mid September.
Hopefully 2016 scores will be consistent to previous years scores :smile:
Original post by saran23
Very interesting indeed.
Maybe we may see a backward shift in the normal distribution for 2017 entry because traditionally people who take the test early generally tend to do better due to little interference with school/uni work etc. So I guess we have to wait it out till mid September.
Hopefully 2016 scores will be consistent to previous years scores :smile:

I'd hope so. There might be an increase given that there are fewer sections to prepare for and, as Natalie pointed out, the section removed this year would often pull averages down. But hopefully it's not a repeat of 2013. The complete polls from 2012 to 2015 had 24, 569, 1005 and 368 votes respectively, so we're a fair way off completion with a sample size of 58.
I'd hope so. There might be an increase given that there are fewer sections to prepare for and, as Natalie pointed out, the section removed this year would often pull averages down. But hopefully it's not a repeat of 2013. The complete polls from 2012 to 2015 had 24, 569, 1005 and 368 votes respectively, so we're a fair way off completion with a sample size of 58.

DA pulled my score down loads, but everyone is different, i just remember people posting lots of low DA scores my year.

If it is a repeat of 2013/2014 (cant remember which year the inflation happened) then it will be the applicants applying to those UKCAT heavy unis who will be hit hard. Hence why i say to not set any uni choices in stone right now.

Looking the way it is, i wouldnt be able to tell what is going to happen right now, its to early on in the game with 1.5 months of testing left (and generally people who take the test earlier do better so you never know)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
There's data of how past years have done without DA. It shows to not have decreased averages by much.
Original post by G.name
There's data of how past years have done without DA. It shows to not have decreased averages by much.

Where is that? On the UKCAT website?
Just a thought, UKCAT didn't release preliminary stats last year because apparently the majority of people booked their test for the last two weeks of the testing period and so results before that, even interim ones, would have been misleading. I tweeted UKCAT and asked if interim stats were going to be released this year and they said that they would be. However, if people postpone their currently booked tests for whatever reason, this may have the same effect as last year.
Reply 56
Original post by Medici103
Just a thought, UKCAT didn't release preliminary stats last year because apparently the majority of people booked their test for the last two weeks of the testing period and so results before that, even interim ones, would have been misleading. I tweeted UKCAT and asked if interim stats were going to be released this year and they said that they would be. However, if people postpone their currently booked tests for whatever reason, this may have the same effect as last year.

Im thinking of delaying mine. I have completed all the QR questions on medify and the 1000Qs book. However, when i don't test myself under time, I get them all right, sometimes 2-3 wrong. And in average i spend 15 seconds more than the Medify average. BUT when i do a practice mock timed, i get only 3-4 Qs right!.

I'm really confused! The last mock I did on Medify had 7 long Was, which took 4 steps to get to the answer!
Original post by 123ash
Im thinking of delaying mine. I have completed all the QR questions on medify and the 1000Qs book. However, when i don't test myself under time, I get them all right, sometimes 2-3 wrong. And in average i spend 15 seconds more than the Medify average. BUT when i do a practice mock timed, i get only 3-4 Qs right!.

I'm really confused! The last mock I did on Medify had 7 long Was, which took 4 steps to get to the answer!

Have you used the timed question feature? I found it really helpful. Only having 5 questions makes it difficult to adopt the guess flag and move on strategy so you don't get a true representation.
If this years UKCAT has been changed so it's out of 2700 instead of 3600 how can you still get like above 650 or so...?
Original post by Irukandji5
If this years UKCAT has been changed so it's out of 2700 instead of 3600 how can you still get like above 650 or so...?

Because one section has been removed but the other sections are still out of 900. When working out the mean from the total of all three sections, you divide by three instead of four to account for the loss of decision analysis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending