The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Agent R5
Yeah I intend on doing some more work experience if I intake a gap year and applied for 2016 entry last year not deferred so now I would be re-applying for 2017 entry.

Last year my UKCAT was very very poor which is why I got rejected from 3 UKCAT uni's without an interview
score was :
VR: 470
QR:700
AR:610
DA:610
SJT: band 2

Okay... you should have a good chance at interview this time round I would have thought. Last year's average was 629 - so you should be in a good position. Also, I'm predicting that there may be a chance that the averages go down because all of this uproar about VR. Fingers crossed!
Original post by Moodicrus
Yeah 8 questions, sorry if that wasn't clear. Some people have said it was easier, my friend who was very apprehensive about QR and used Medify found that the real thing was easier and he got 750 in QR. I personally found my actual UKCAT QR to be harder, but its hard to give a general idea since everyone sits a different test. Its fine to struggle with some QR questions, lawd knows I don't think its healthy to aim for 100% so getting some wring is fine, just take an educated guess. AR was by far my worst and I was dreading it so much, in mocks i got 580,670 and 640,never even close to the 800 i got in the real thing, and I think thats partly because my guessing game is strong, educated guesses can save you a lot of hassle. During the test I thought i did so badly bc there were a few patterns I just had no clue about but I think the bad sections stick in your mind more than the good so don't worry too much about it! just work through the set of questions as calmly as possible, and use DM as a nice break!

what mocks did you doo? :smile:
Original post by gagandeep07
Okay... you should have a good chance at interview this time round I would have thought. Last year's average was 629 - so you should be in a good position. Also, I'm predicting that there may be a chance that the averages go down because all of this uproar about VR. Fingers crossed!

which uni have cut offs at 650 or lower??
Original post by saudkhan2508
Heya

Thank you. As for tips I would say for QR dont skip the decision making as it has some maths question in there and try to do them to get your head in the maths mindset. Just try to take a deep breath and read the question fully sometimes you can miss out seriously simple things. also what i did was in the decision making time coz i had 30 mins i wrote down all then formulas like %change area of different shapes....speed formula as it all helped....other than that just dont panic when you get a tough quesiton flag and move on as there are much easeir questions towards the end....
As for VR in my opinion the statemnts only seem long (2 lines) because the screens resolution is different to our computers so dont panic for statemnt VR skim read then answer for t/f/ct passages read the question first then pick out key word and try to answer then....hope this was helpful...

Hey there, for the second type of VR questions with the statement answers, do you look for key words in each statement and scan the passage one at a time or do you look for collective keywords and the just scan the passage once per question.

Hope that makes sense :smile:
Original post by clairebear101
which uni have cut offs at 650 or lower??

Most unis don't have definitive cut-offs because they weight it alongside other factors. However, maybe try to avoid applying to UKCAT heavy unis such as Kings, Newcastle and Manchester. If you go onto UKCAT's website, they have a PDF document explaining how different unis use the ukcat. Definitely check that out !

What was your score?
got my ukcat at 12:30 hope it goes well as i hope to be a gap year student. My advice for those in the year below, if it doesn't go as expected, still apply to medicine!! You will have nothing to lose and if you get 4 rejections before interview like me don't worry it's character building and you shall be more prepared for the ukcat next year. You will be able to see where you went wrong and improve on it and also your personal statement, once rejected you can ask for feedback. Not getting in first time doesn't mean that you won't get in the next year. DON'T LOSE HOPE GUYS, EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!!
GOOD LUCK :smile:
Reply 1846
Original post by Kings_queens
got my ukcat at 12:30 hope it goes well as i hope to be a gap year student. My advice for those in the year below, if it doesn't go as expected, still apply to medicine!! You will have nothing to lose and if you get 4 rejections before interview like me don't worry it's character building and you shall be more prepared for the ukcat next year. You will be able to see where you went wrong and improve on it and also your personal statement, once rejected you can ask for feedback. Not getting in first time doesn't mean that you won't get in the next year. DON'T LOSE HOPE GUYS, EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!!
GOOD LUCK :smile:

Best of luck today! :smile:
Original post by saran23
Hey there, for the second type of VR questions with the statement answers, do you look for key words in each statement and scan the passage one at a time or do you look for collective keywords and the just scan the passage once per question.

Hope that makes sense :smile:

no just skim read the psaage first then go to questions for the passages with statements because most times the statements arent related and looking at one seprate will take too much time...
People with Medify ---> How did you do in Medify Mock 1? As I just did it and got 750 Verbal, 700 Quantitative and 830 Abstract (:eek3:) and SJ Band 1. I am just wondering if medify mocks are easy as doubt I will do that well and curious how everyone else is doing with them?

Also, Anyone who has done the UKCAT already, did you do better or worse in the real thing than medify mocks and how do they compare?
Original post by isabella1999
People with Medify ---> How did you do in Medify Mock 1? As I just did it and got 750 Verbal, 700 Quantitative and 830 Abstract (:eek3:) and SJ Band 1. I am just wondering if medify mocks are easy as doubt I will do that well and curious how everyone else is doing with them?

Also, Anyone who has done the UKCAT already, did you do better or worse in the real thing than medify mocks and how do they compare?

I got 750QR, 750AR and 670VR. I asked the same question but nobody whos done the actual exam has replied yet.
Original post by isabella1999

If your getting that in mock 1 you will do amazing, i only got ave of 645 in that mock but that was before i had sorted out my techniques, now i have sorted out my techniques i get around 700 ave in mocks so u are doing great
Original post by saudkhan2508
no just skim read the psaage first then go to questions for the passages with statements because most times the statements arent related and looking at one seprate will take too much time...

I dont use the technique of scanning the passage first as i found it just wasted my time and didnt improve my score. I go straight to the answer choices and scan for key words from there, i normally get the answer on 2nd choice i choose to scan for so it works for me
Original post by Pra99
I got 750QR, 750AR and 670VR. I asked the same question but nobody whos done the actual exam has replied yet.

Ah okay. I might just take it as a sign practice is working but not get complacent as it is likely the exam is harder. Hopefully not though :biggrin:
If your getting that in mock 1 you will do amazing, i only got ave of 645 in that mock but that was before i had sorted out my techniques, now i have sorted out my techniques i get around 700 ave in mocks so u are doing great

Aw hopefully, and ooooo well done, mind sharing your techniques? :smile:
VR - 500
QR - 670
AR - 610
SJ - Band 2

My daughter sat this test and is now worried about her result :frown:

She has 5 A's and 1C - Nat 5 level
4 A'S and 1B - Highers
Studying this year - 3 advanced highers

Any advice greatly appreciated.

She studied for a month and worked from two books and practice tests.
(edited 7 years ago)
I dont use the technique of scanning the passage first as i found it just wasted my time and didnt improve my score. I go straight to the answer choices and scan for key words from there, i normally get the answer on 2nd choice i choose to scan for so it works for me

My technique is similar to yours, but instead of finding a keyword in each statement and then going to the passage, I read all 4 statements and then skim the passage and then answer.
Did my actual UKCAT yesterday.

VR: 520/900 (I hate this ugh. A combination of being bad at this and being nervous bcoz its the first section)
QR: 890/900
AR: 700/900
SJT: Band 2
Total: 2110
Avg: 703
If you have any questions let me know. I think I can help with QR at least :s

Busy right now, will post proof later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pra99
My technique is similar to yours, but instead of finding a keyword in each statement and then going to the passage, I read all 4 statements and then skim the passage and then answer.

I am strongly considering following this strategy in practice but do you find your time efficiency to be consistent?
Original post by saran23
I am strongly considering following this strategy in practice but do you find your time efficiency to be consistent?

Im consistently doing 5 questions in about 170-180 seconds. So I guess its alright. If i get some true false questions in the exam, I should be able to make up the time.
Original post by Pra99
Im consistently doing 5 questions in about 170-180 seconds. So I guess its alright. If i get some true false questions in the exam, I should be able to make up the time.

This sounds very promising. Thank you so much and good luck on your exam :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending