The Student Room Group

Low ukcat score help

Ok so i have just done my ukcat exam. I scored 480 in the verbal reasoning, 540 in the quantitative reasonsing and 530 in abstract reasoning. Also i got a band 1 in situational judgement. This is a total of 1550. I think this is low as i got over 2000 in practice test and the average score for previous years seemed very high!

Anyone else got their scores yet??

EDIT:
I just realised why my score was low. I was only marked for my Verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning and the situational judgement which is marked separately.
The decision making is not included in my score!
It states on the back of my score report:
"In 2016, UKCAT is piloting a new decision making subtest for which you will not receive a score. The data we collect from candidates is crucial to our development of this subtest but we are sorry that, at this stage, we cannot generate results from the decision making items you have taken."
Explains why i have a low score. I still had to do the decision making section under timed conditions and i was confused as the book did say its new and it was all coding stuff i was doing from a table when i studied. But the exam was much easier, it was like problem solving riddles almost and a bit of maths. I found it easy and well i guess thats why my score looked low!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing mine end of September.. But don't lose hope. Keep going!
Reply 2
Can you let me know what you got as I'm not sure if i just got a really low score
Original post by NathanER
Ok so i have just done my ukcat exam. I scored 480 in the verbal reasoning, 540 in the quantitative reasonsing and 530 in abstract reasoning. Also i got a band 1 in situational judgement. This is a total of 1550. I think this is low as i got over 2000 in practice test and the average score for previous years seemed very high!

You're missing DA - I got 705 average (2,820 overall) when I sat mine last year. I believe 600 is the average score (mean of all 4 sections)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Just out of curiosity, how much practice did you do?
Can you let me know what you got as I'm not sure if i just got a really low score

Sure I will. Last year I got 635.
Original post by Sacred Ground
You're missing DA - I got 705 average (2,820 overall) when I sat mine last year. I believe 600 is the average score (mean of all 4 sections)

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't have DA involved this year
Reply 8
Original post by Wisbey

I went through a book in 5 hours
1550 is an average of 516 - 517 since its 1550/3. This is still a pretty low score. I'd suggest applying to unis which don't put as much emphasis on UKCAT or maybe try the BMAT.
Reply 10
Original post by Wisbey

I studied for like 10 hours and in that time i went through a while book "UKCAT by Kaplan" i even studied a lot for the section that shan't even get marked so i think my score is decent
Reply 11
I studied for like 10 hours and in that time i went through a while book "UKCAT by Kaplan" i even studied a lot for the section that shan't even get marked so i think my score is decent

Well thats your problem, you were under prepared. Although really going through one book your score should still be higher...
Unfortunately I think your ukcat scoer is too low for any ukcat schools, I think you should look into doing the BMAT.

If you should reapply next year, make sure you practice more... kaplan book isn't the best imo. the 1000Q book is bettter to give pointers and what y oureally need is to practice as many questions as possible (I used medify).

When I did my ukcat a few years ago, I studied 4 days, 1 day for 600Q book (now called the 1000Q book) and then 3 days on medify intensively doing it
Are you saying you just used one book? And just 5 hours prep?

I went through a book in 5 hours
i think my score is decent
Med schools won't think its decent

an average of 516/517 is sadly very very low, considering the national average is usually around 600/610 mark, you have scored 80/90 points below the average.

I can put this down to a lack of preparation, going through the UKCAT book in 10 hours is not going to get you a good score. you needed to practice timings, methods and improve your skills through short practice sessions over a couple of weeks using a variety of resources to gain the skills required to get a high score.

unfortunately all medical schools would have to disagree with your score being "decent" because it really is not, when I applied for 2015 entry 2 years ago my score of 675 was classed as "decent" by admissions tutors, but I was still on the boundary for admission into UKCAT heavy schools such as newcastle and glasgow and hence i avoided applying to them.

My best advice for you is to do the BMAT and actually put a lot of effort into it. unless you have loads of A*s at GCSE and Alevel as well as an amazing personal statement then you will really struggle to gain admission to any university as your UKCAT score will really drag you down.

EDIT:
I just realised why my score was low. I was only marked for my Verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning and the situational judgement which is marked separately.
The decision making is not included in my score!
It states on the back of my score report:
"In 2016, UKCAT is piloting a new decision making subtest for which you will not receive a score. The data we collect from candidates is crucial to our development of this subtest but we are sorry that, at this stage, we cannot generate results from the decision making items you have taken."
Explains why i have a low score. I still had to do the decision making section under timed conditions and i was confused as the book did say its new and it was all coding stuff i was doing from a table when i studied. But the exam was much easier, it was like problem solving riddles almost and a bit of maths. I found it easy and well i guess thats why my score looked low!

Hi NathanER

Unfortunately as others have already pointed out, your score is most likely due to a lack of preparation.

However, I am sure you realise this now and what's done is done.

If you do decide to sit the BMAT to give yourself some more options, I would really recommend doing as much preparation as possible. Set yourself a schedule for practising and stick to it in the weeks leading up to your test date.

Make sure you have the most comprehensive and up to date resources available and perhaps consider taking a course to help you with your prep. There are plenty of past papers available to help you and I would recommend using these as part of your preparation.

Give me a shout if you would like any advice... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
I did mine and got a 620 average and now decided to give up on med school you should probably consider taking bmat or take a gap year and do the ukcat again next year etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I have my UKCAT on wednesday (the day before results day!) and I'm getting kinda stressed - mainly about the quantitative (my worst section) and a bit about the abstract. I'm using Medify and I've been averaging around 740 for VR, 600 for Abstract and about 610 for quant (but that's one 650 score and one 570 score) :/ I'd really like all my scores to be over 650. I'm also getting band 1 SJ

Any tips? All my choices are currently UKCAT and I don't really want to do the BMAT!
Reply 18
Not all med schools place importance on the UKCAT, and ultimately you only need that one magical offer. Don't lose hope, and get informed about your best places to apply.
BMAT will give you more options if you are academically strong.
Do tonnes of research would be my advice. When I applied, I made a chart of how I scored on each med schools criteria, and went for three 'safe' options, and one slightly riskier one.
Reply 19
Original post by erinls2
Hey guys, I have my UKCAT on wednesday (the day before results day!) and I'm getting kinda stressed - mainly about the quantitative (my worst section) and a bit about the abstract. I'm using Medify and I've been averaging around 740 for VR, 600 for Abstract and about 610 for quant (but that's one 650 score and one 570 score) :/ I'd really like all my scores to be over 650. I'm also getting band 1 SJ

Any tips? All my choices are currently UKCAT and I don't really want to do the BMAT!

I sat this two years ago, and had been averaging 640 on quantitative, but got 720 on the day. Just keep practicing and try to stay calm :smile:
In abstract, have a system. If you really aren't sure, guess it and flag it. Be strict on yourself, and you should have a bit of time left over to try those ones again

Latest

Trending

Trending