The Student Room Group

Is a male feminist more likely to date a more masculine woman?

I'm just curious as the guy I like identifies as a male feminist. It's not a criteria of mine or anything for a potential date to be a male feminist, in fact I'm not even feminist myself so I could not care less either way I just think he seems like a sweet person overall, which is what attracted me.

Anyhow, I'm very feminine in terms of appearance, dress sense and personality traits but he does not seem excited by that at all, if anything intimidated - but not in a good way.

I was raised with strong family ties and quite traditional values and he seems almost repulsed by. He has no father figure and has very liberal views on family and relationships.

The girls who he does notice are the ones who are quite butch in body type and appearance who are very outspoken (especially on feminist issues), blunt, competitive, domineering and who drink and sleep around like 'one of the guys'.

Perhaps I am narrow minded but I really can't wrap my head around it. What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think that a whole group of male feminists like one specific type of women, maybe it's just his personal choice, most people have a "type" right? Maybe you could just bring up the topic of relationships naturally in a conversation and ask what type of girls he likes seeing as no one can read others' mind. In addition don't be put off by the fact that he is repulsed by traditional values he definitely would not judge you based on your family.
hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
x

I've never known someones' socio-political beliefs to influence their choice of partner when it comes to physical attraction. Ask me, the two are completely unrelated.

It's more likely that his "type" is someone that holds similar views to him instead of being based on what they look like.
Beta guys tend to be more compatible with the butch alpha females
I think so OP.
Reply 5
Yeah..wanting equality, totally makes men like butch women. Is that because feminists are all butch? Shame about them all being man hating lesbians too though, poor bloke 🙄 Sarcasm for anyone that missed that.
Reply 6
Original post by ~Tara~
Yeah..wanting equality, totally makes men like butch women. Is that because feminists are all butch? Shame about them all being man hating lesbians too though, poor bloke 🙄 Sarcasm for anyone that missed that.

Feminism isn't about equality, when was the last time they talked about male suicide rates, court biases in sentencing and child custody and male victims of domestic violence? The group who want equality are called egalitarians.
Reply 7
This week actually since I'm a feminist and I talk about those issues all the time. I've talked about the rape of boys and men by women (legally a man can't be raped by a woman in the uk..not something we have decided to change when the US did. This is something worth protesting about) and I am outspoken about stuff like this even when men try to degrade me for daring to challenge the narrow view of masculinity. God forbid I suggest a man isn't a slave to sex

Just like not all men are bad, not all Christians are like west boro etc etc not all feminists are extremists and out of touch with reality. Rather than working from the stereotype, look the subject up. Learn the diversity
Reply 8
Whilst I'm proud to say I'm a feminist, I do rather prefer the idea that the word feminist doesn't need to exist. Just sexist, racist etc.
Reply 9
I heard of one case where the judge convicted a man despite evidence that the female was texting him to come round for and have sex and said that it was worse as he used the texts to discredit the 'victim'.

I heard something a while ago about dv that even when it is the man phoning the police about being abused they regularly get told to leave the house and dv isn't a gendered issue.

In one state in the USA it is required for a single mother to get benefits they have to name the father and they take money from them and if the man falls behind he can be arrested, it doesn't matter if it even is the father they will take the money anyway there was a proposal to criminalise knowingly giving false information but it was rejected after local feminists pressure groups campaigned against it, the consequences of being falsely named and not paying includes taking away professional accreditation, from the cases that are challenged over 1 in 5 are proven to be false.
Reply 10
Original post by ~Tara~
Whilst I'm proud to say I'm a feminist, I do rather prefer the idea that the word feminist doesn't need to exist. Just sexist, racist etc.

The first word does describe 3rd wave feminism pretty well
Original post by joecphillips
Feminism isn't about equality, when was the last time they talked about male suicide rates, court biases in sentencing and child custody and male victims of domestic violence? The group who want equality are called egalitarians.

By that logic a group fighting against anti-black prejudice 'isn't about equality' unless it does the same for asian people or white people etc. The feminism movement is about correcting the perceived and genuine disadvantages that women may face that men do not. That sounds like an equality-based movement to me. That doesn't equal a denial of the fact that men have problems too.
Reply 12
Original post by RayApparently
By that logic a group fighting against anti-black prejudice 'isn't about equality' unless it does the same for asian people or white people etc. The feminism movement is about correcting the perceived and genuine disadvantages that women may face that men do not. That sounds like an equality-based movement to me. That doesn't equal a denial of the fact that men have problems too.

Talking about things that are proven to be incorrect, lying about statistics and publishing articles about how men should be put in camps sounds like they want equality, 3rd wave feminism is about identity politics and by the logic they use the I am more privileged than the queen.

If you want equality then you want equality for all you don't just want things for one group, can you name me one right men have that women don't or can you explain how in a system that is meant to stop women progressing we have a female pm (A Tory pm so we know she got there on merit unlike the shortlists labour have that means someone can be a mp candidate based on genitals not merit)?
Reply 13
ITT: Manbabies crying we aren't living in the 1950s anymore.
I and my girlfriend are both feminists. I don't think she's particularly masculine? hahaha I wouldn't say she was overly girly either if that's what you mean ^.^ Of course she still wears makeup and jewelry, and whatever, but not to the extent that someone else may. If that makes any sense? Feminism's just a moral standpoint, I don't think it has much to do with masculinity/femininity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by inhuman
ITT: Manbabies crying we aren't living in the 1950s anymore.

Yes we do not live in the 1950's anymore but the problem now is we live in a time where we have gone to the other extreme and that is just as bad.

In the 50's dv wasn't talked about or solved but now dv is talked about openly as a way to secure the kids.
Reply 16
Yes we do not live in the 1950's anymore but the problem now is we live in a time where we have gone to the other extreme and that is just as bad.

In the 50's dv wasn't talked about or solved but now dv is talked about openly as a way to secure the kids.

Oh yea I totally feel overpowered and oppressed :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Not anything to do with the fact that false reports are rare then? (Less than 4% is fairly rare)

Are you suggesting that men (invariably so because men hold the majority of high powered positions) have devised a conspiracy to keep fellow men down and imprisoned via false reports of abuse?

What's the conviction rate? I mean with all this concrete proof men need to have to prevent them being falsely imprisoned, the conviction rate must be above 80%, right? Odd then that it's nowhere near 50 let alone 100. Similarly odd that this is also true for the number of cases which actually make it to court.

Also weird that a guy gets caught raping a woman, apprehended by 2 passers by and yet still given 6 months sentence because "he really is a good man, he's white and swims a bit"

Yep total conspiracy to keep men down
Reply 18
Original post by ~Tara~
Not anything to do with the fact that false reports are rare then? (Less than 4% is fairly rare)

Are you suggesting that men (invariably so because men hold the majority of high powered positions) have devised a conspiracy to keep fellow men down and imprisoned via false reports of abuse?

What's the conviction rate? I mean with all this concrete proof men need to have to prevent them being falsely imprisoned, the conviction rate must be above 80%, right? Odd then that it's nowhere near 50 let alone 100. Similarly odd that this is also true for the number of cases which actually make it to court.

Also weird that a guy gets caught raping a woman, apprehended by 2 passers by and yet still given 6 months sentence because "he really is a good man, he's white and swims a bit"

Yep total conspiracy to keep men down

That 4% is from cases that they take to court and prove but some police forces openly say they won't prosecute false allegations, it should also be noted o]less than 6% are proven true so therefore there is 90% that should be discounted as it is unknown.

That person wasn't charged with rape so if you want to complain then it should be to the prosecutors not the courts who followed the rules based on the charges.

What about this case http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/mustafa-ururyar-verdict-full-text-read-justice-zukers-decision-in-the-mandi-gray-sex-assault-case?

He was told to come over have sex then she complains about the sex takes him to court and the judge convicts him on the words of feminists not facts
(edited 7 years ago)
Talking about things that are proven to be incorrect, lying about statistics and publishing articles about how men should be put in camps sounds like they want equality, 3rd wave feminism is about identity politics and by the logic they use the I am more privileged than the queen.

If you want equality then you want equality for all you don't just want things for one group, can you name me one right men have that women don't or can you explain how in a system that is meant to stop women progressing we have a female pm (A Tory pm so we know she got there on merit unlike the shortlists labour have that means someone can be a mp candidate based on genitals not merit)?

The extremists don't make the ideology. And third wave feminism is about a host of modern issues. It doesn't matter that the phrase has been used by some to attack.

If you believe that one thing isn't equal to another then to want equality for all you must want things for the group you consider disadvantaged. The idea that feminists don't want equality because they don't campaign for men's right's issues is laughable. I presume you don't walk into cancer research centres handing out pamphlets about Alzheimer's disease.

Apparently, you think that laws on paper make up for sexual harassment, glass ceilings and pay gaps? Or the fact that a female PM (one of a grand total of 2) makes up for less than 10% of FTSE CEOs being women?

And by the way, there is solid reasoning and even scholarly research on how all-women shortlists work and benefit our politics.

http://mlkrook.org/pdf/pa_2016.pdf:
"AWS women ask more parliamentary questions and speak more often in debates than other MPs"
"the subgroup [of Labour MPs] that asks by far the most questions is women selected via AWS"
"AWS women perform similarly to other MPs in terms of their rates of vote attendance, rebelliousness and replying to constituents"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending