The Student Room Group

Bigotry towards drug users.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drunk Punx
It's been proven that rehabilitation is much more effective than locking junkies up.

http://www.drugfree.org/news-service/choosing-substance-abuse-treatment-over-prison-could-save-billions-study/

(I don't generally care much for the HuffPost, but I really cba to find other sources).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-howard-samuels/prison-vs-rehab-what-real_b_571055.html

http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug03/rehab.aspx
(This article mainly deals with general mental help in prisons instead of specifying drug users, but helping people deal with their issues is a fairly broad spectrum and the point can easily be translated across).

Even the American public, who are generally stereotyped as being rather ignorant by populations of other countries and people within their own country, think that rehab is the way forward.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/treatment-vs-punishment-poll-finds-americans-prefer-rehab-over-jail-drug-offenders-274660

You're saving money on prison care while freeing up space for murderers and rapists while at the same time reducing the chances of someone relapsing or continuing their habit. Locking drugs users up doesn't work. Rehab does.

I never said rehabilitation is wrong and we should DISCRIMINATE against drug users. But BIGOTRY ensures it doesn't become a social norm or an acceptable (the way Mr. thread maker makes hard drug use seem). We should obviously make it undesirable. Otherwise, everyone will try drugs cause it would seem action that is dealt without consequences.
Original post by dingleberry jam
Hmm, i'm not convinced drug use is always a choice.

Is it a choice for addicts?
Is it a choice for the mentally ill desperate for an escape?
Do you know anyone that has never used any drug?

Being an addict is a journey that starts with a choice. Being gay isn't. I mean sure, it may take a choice to realise that you're meant to be with someone of the same sex (choosing to have a gay experience), but you can't say that "heroin made me realise I was meant to be an addict". They're incomparable for several reasons.

Being mentally ill isn't a choice either. Why would anyone choose to be depressed, or have social anxiety, or have Downs Syndrome? You play with the cards you're dealt, you don't get to pick and choose from the pack (because if you did, no-one would ever suffer from any kind of mental illness).

Yeah I know several sXe people. Don't care for the lifestyle myself, but it's their choice so whatever. What really gets on my tits is when they laud their "purity" over other people, but thankfully none of the people I know do that.
Here you go, didn't take long.

Well, people that take drugs are doing something wrong. You can't deny that, surely?
It is wrong to take illegal drugs and people who do this should be shamed much like thieves and rapists. They are doing harm and we need to stop that.
Another bigot.

#cleanandproud
Original post by AvWOW
I never said rehabilitation is wrong and we should DISCRIMINATE against drug users. But BIGOTRY ensures it doesn't become a social norm or an acceptable (the way Mr. thread maker makes hard drug use seem). We should obviously make it undesirable. Otherwise, everyone will try drugs cause it wouldn't have any effect.

You have a very weird way of looking at things.

Education and informed rational debate ensure that people know what the effects of drugs are, not judgementalism.
Being an addict is a journey that starts with a choice. Being gay isn't. I mean sure, it may take a choice to realise that you're meant to be with someone of the same sex (choosing to have a gay experience), but you can't say that "heroin made me realise I was meant to be an addict". They're incomparable for several reasons.

Being mentally ill isn't a choice either. Why would anyone choose to be depressed, or have social anxiety, or have Downs Syndrome? You play with the cards you're dealt, you don't get to pick and choose from the pack (because if you did, no-one would ever suffer from any kind of mental illness).

Yeah I know several sXe people. Don't care for the lifestyle myself, but it's their choice so whatever. What really gets on my tits is when they laud their "purity" over other people, but thankfully none of the people I know do that.

Being an addict is often a journey that starts with mental illness.
Reply 26
Well we all do drugs so obviously there's a little more to it.

Which is why I asked what types of drugs you meant. You have hard prescriptional drugs, recreational, legal and illegal etc.
I'm simply talking about hard illegal drugs (meth, cocaine, heroine etc) NOT weed.
Original post by Trapz99
Well, people that take drugs are doing something wrong. You can't deny that, surely?
It is wrong to take illegal drugs and people who do this should be shamed much like thieves and rapists. They are doing harm and we need to stop that.

Couple of questions fam:

1) Why is it wrong?
2) Who are they harming?
3) Smoking a joint is in no way equatable with raping someone, so why do you think recreational drug users and rapists should be treated the same as far as the social response is concerned?

Before you answer, allow me to offer you some insight:
We can assume that the law is often based on morality, right? Killing is wrong, raping is wrong, stealing is wrong, therefore they're all illegal. Makes sense, no? I mean, they all definitively harm someone.

But if I'm sitting in my flat with my bong watching cartoons and laughing my arse off while stuffing my face with cereal, who am I harming? If I'm harming no-one but myself (a sentiment I don't share; I think getting high is fan-****ing-tastic to be quite honest with you) then why is it any business of the law what I do with my own body?
Reply 28
You have a very weird way of looking at things.

Education and informed rational debate ensure that people know what the effects of drugs are, not judgementalism.

Let me give you an example. We educate people about smoking in various means. We tell them it's dangerous for health and whatnot. But obviously they still continued to do it.
Recent trends of discrimination against smoking makes it something more people look down on. Social rejection makes anyone less likely to do anything. We're humans. When society is less accepting, you are less likely to do something because you won't be socially accepted. This is both good and bad.
Original post by the bear
#cleanandproud

Yes, i heard and well done to you, quite an achievement but there is far more support and less bigotry directed at alcoholics.
Original post by AvWOW
Which is why I asked what types of drugs you meant. You have hard prescriptional drugs, recreational, legal and illegal etc.
I'm simply talking about hard illegal drugs (meth, cocaine, heroine etc) NOT weed.

What difference does it make?
Being an addict is often a journey that starts with mental illness.

You still choose to take your drug of choice. Unless you're suffering from severe psychosis and are hearing voices that are constantly telling you to get high, you still have the choice of how to help yourself and you make it accordingly.
Reply 32
What difference does it make?

What do you mean???
caffeine makes you not sleepy, Weed gives you the munchies and cocaine.... makes live a life of addiction where you reach a stage where you're willing to stab someone to get money to fund your habit.
Couple of questions fam:

1) Why is it wrong?
2) Who are they harming?
3) Smoking a joint is in no way equatable with raping someone, so why do you think recreational drug users and rapists should be treated the same as far as the social response is concerned?

Before you answer, allow me to offer you some insight:
We can assume that the law is often based on morality, right? Killing is wrong, raping is wrong, stealing is wrong, therefore they're all illegal. Makes sense, no? I mean, they all definitively harm someone.

But if I'm sitting in my flat with my bong watching cartoons and laughing my arse off while stuffing my face with cereal, who am I harming? If I'm harming no-one but myself (a sentiment I don't share; I think getting high is fan-****ing-tastic to be quite honest with you) then why is it any business of the law what I do with my own body?

Drug users are more likely to develop certain diseases. These diseases are often expensive to treat. Therefore, you are harming the health service by wasting government spending money.
Original post by AvWOW
Let me give you an example. We educate people about smoking in various means. We tell them it's dangerous for health and whatnot. But obviously they still continued to do it.
Recent trends of discrimination against smoking makes it something more people look down on. Social rejection makes anyone less likely to do anything. We're humans. When society is less accepting, you are less likely to do something because you won't be socially accepted. This is both good and bad.

So? What someone does in their own free time is their own business, not the business of the general public. If someone's going to take drugs, and they really want to, then they're going to do so regardless of public opinion.

In fact, judging people is more likely going to cause them to withdraw into themselves away from other people and up their usage as a result of social ostracisation.

How in any way does that help? :lol:
Original post by AvWOW
What do you mean???
caffeine makes you not sleepy, Weed gives you the munchies and cocaine.... makes live a life of addiction where you reach a stage where you're willing to stab someone to get money to fund your habit.

Really? i done cocaine once, never stabbed anyone. :s-smilie:
Yes, i heard and well done to you, quite an achievement but there is far more support and less bigotry directed at alcoholics.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9660932.Man_arrested_after_death_of_girl__16__in_York___UPDATED/

#drugsarelikeuncool
Original post by Trapz99
Drug users are more likely to develop certain diseases. These diseases are often expensive to treat. Therefore, you are harming the health service by wasting government spending money.

Gays are more likely to develop AIDs.
Original post by Trapz99

That doesn't answer any of the questions nearly to the level of satisfaction I was expecting from someone who holds such strong opinions of the subject.

If you're serious about your views, try again.
Gays are more likely to develop AIDs.

I oppose homosexual sex...

Quick Reply

Latest