The Student Room Group

Bigotry towards drug users.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Drunk Punx
So? What someone does in their own free time is their own business, not the business of the general public. If someone's going to take drugs, and they really want to, then they're going to do so regardless of public opinion.

In fact, judging people is more likely going to cause them to withdraw into themselves away from other people and up their usage as a result of social ostracisation.

How in any way does that help? :lol:

Again, this is based on what drug you're talking about. Are you saying weed is acceptable? If so, I wholeheartedly agree :smile:
But if you mean heroine and cocaine? NO.
That doesn't answer any of the questions nearly to the level of satisfaction I was expecting from someone who holds such strong opinions of the subject.

If you're serious about your views, try again.

Why? What's unsatisfactory about it? Drug users do put a burden on the NHS. I'd be fine with allowing them do take drugs if they paid for their own healthcare.
Reply 42
Original post by dingleberry jam
Really? i done cocaine once, never stabbed anyone. :s-smilie:

I'm talking about druggies. If you keep using it, you might develop an addicition. And that turns ugly. Real quick. You don't realise it until it's done. However, a very small fraction of individuals actually don't develop this addiction. But how do you know if you fall into this small fraction? Is that a gamble you're willing to take with your life?
(also, please don't do it again! please please please :frown: )
(edited 7 years ago)

Horrible, even more so as it sounds like another case of unreliable drugs and could have easily been avoided.
Well we all do drugs so obviously there's a little more to it.

You keep saying everyone does drugs- have you any evidence for this ? Just because everyone you know does drugs doesn't + everyone

The majority of the people I know don't do drugs ....
Do you know anyone that has never done any drug of any type, doesn't seem like a choice to me, it seems inherent to human nature.

I can't use any of the legal recreational drugs, alcohol, caffeine and nicotine make me ill, i have a preference for other drugs, is that really so different to a preference for a different sex?

Being gay is something that you are its not something that you do.So yeah its completely different.
Lots of people have never done drugs of any sort.Its incredibly rare for people to feel no sexual attraction at all. I would argue sexual preference is a lot more inherent than drug taking is.
Reply 46
Many drugs are conducive to hedonistic, anti-aspirational and criminal behaviour. Those that generally aren't but are still illegal are lumped together with the others because, well, they're still illegal. Alcohol is an extremely dangerous drug, as bad as some of the class As for sure, but there's less bigotry surrounding its users because it's more normalised.
Original post by AvWOW
I'm talking about druggies. If you keep using it, you might develop an addicition.

Why would they do this knowing the dangers, they must be sick.

Original post by AvWOW

However, a very small fraction of individuals actually don't develop this addiction. But how do you know if you fall into this small fraction? Is that a gamble you're willing to take with your life?

This just isn't true, the dependency rate for cocaine is about 15% similar to alcohol.

Original post by AvWOW

(also, please don't do it again! please please please :frown: )

I won't, don't worry, didn't like it.
Original post by AvWOW
Again, this is based on what drug you're talking about. Are you saying weed is acceptable? If so, I wholeheartedly agree :smile:
But if you mean heroine and cocaine? NO.

Of course I'm saying cannabis is acceptable. Socially and morally there's nothing wrong with it, it's only because of its legal status that there's a social stigma surrounding it.
What about the guy who only sniffs coke once in a blue moon, or the chick who skin pops a couple of times a year?

Original post by Trapz99
Why? What's unsatisfactory about it? Drug users do put a burden on the NHS. I'd be fine with allowing them do take drugs if they paid for their own healthcare.

You didn't directly answer any of my questions. In fact, I said as much. Are you high? :holmes:
Smokers and alcoholics pay several times more tax on their products than is necessary for their treatment, so all in all it works out alright: one group of drug users supporting the treatment of other drug users.
Original post by watchingyouwatch
You keep saying everyone does drugs- have you any evidence for this ? Just because everyone you know does drugs doesn't + everyone

You know people that have never taken alcohol or caffeine?
Reply 50
Of course I'm saying cannabis is acceptable. Socially and morally there's nothing wrong with it, it's only because of its legal status that there's a social stigma surrounding it.
What about the guy who only sniffs coke once in a blue moon, or the chick who skin pops a couple of times a year?

You didn't directly answer any of my questions. In fact, I said as much. Are you high? :holmes:
Smokers and alcoholics pay several times more tax on their products than is necessary for their treatment, so all in all it works out alright: one group of drug users supporting the treatment of other drug users.

The guy and chick made a conscious decision to do them. If they don't develop an addiction... should we give them a prize?
But if they do develop an addiction, they'll be more prone to criminal behaviour, endangering general public as a result, Hard-working tax-payers have to pay for their rehab etc. What they do to themselves is whatever the hell they want. But the danger and inconvinience to general society that hard-drug users pose is what boils my blood.
(edited 7 years ago)
You know people that have never taken alcohol or caffeine?

You know very well that isn't wha most people define as taking drugs.
Original post by niteninja1
I don't think the punishment on illegal drugs including marijuana is tough enough.If getting caught with any amount got an immediate prison sentence people would eventually stop itDrug users are scum
You clearly haven't been paying attention.

Time and resources (that no country has) can not be devoted to people just using drugs. The fact that heroin, for example, is illegal doesn't stop people from risking a lot of time in prison to sell it. China I believe has very strict drug rules, and people still take drugs.

Do you think it is easy to get caught possessing drugs? If a pill or a small bag of heroin/cocaine for example is concealed well then what reason would a policemen have for stopping you? They can't legally search you without probable cause. The solution for this would be to increase the number of policemen wandering the streets and trying to catch people at the transaction, but as i've already said our country does not have the resources to be wasting time looking for people trying to discretely do drugs in their private lives. On top of that, places where people sell drugs are usually very discrete for obvious reasons.

Say there is a person who smokes marijuana (which you think should have a greater penalty) to help relieve back pain. Does that make them scum? I don't think so. In another hypothetical scenario, a university student has severe anxiety, and illegally obtains and takes a usually prescribed drug containing alprazolam (found in xanax) in order to feel normal, without a prescription. Do they deserve a prison sentence for this? Once again, somebody is in hospital and has been given morphine for an injury. They become addicted and once out of hospital have to source morphine elsewhere. Do you think it is easy for somebody addicted to opioids to stop taking them?

Instead of punishing people for taking drugs, they should be available to buy in specific shops. It would save the NHS a lot of time when a shady drug dealer has mixed brick dust into heroin and some individual has just unsafely injected that into their system, causing them an often fatal experience. I think it would be much more beneficial for people addicted to drugs to buy them safely and the government devote the resources that would have been used fighting a losing war, to help people for a problem that isn't going to disappear through inhibition.
(edited 7 years ago)

Alchohol's a drug which is probably actually more dangerous than cannabis.So the majority of people do consume a drug of some sort.The thing is that not all drugs have the same effects so to have a blanket all drugs are bad outlook is just as bad as saying that all drugs are good.Some are more harmful than others.The goverment tends to promote the view that all drugs are bad but I think they're wrong on this.
Reply 54
Why would they do this knowing the dangers, they must be sick.

This just isn't true, the dependency rate for cocaine is about 15% similar to alcohol.

I won't, don't worry, didn't like it.

good to hear!
Humans are optimists. Even you tried coke. Didn't you have confidence yourself that you wouldn't become an addict?That's where it all starts. No one says "oh I want to be an addict"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AvWOW
The guy and chick made a conscious decision to do them. If they don't develop an addiction... should we give them a prize?
But if they do develop an addiction, they'll be more prone to criminal behaviour, endangering general public as a result, Hard-working tax-payers have to pay for their rehab etc. What they do to themselves is whatever the hell they want. But the danger to general society that hard-drug users pose is what boils my blood.

I never said they didn't make a conscious decision to do them, what's your point?

As I've said above, smokers and alcoholics pay far more tax on their products than they'll ever need for treatment, so the cost gets carried over to tax already raised from one lot of drug users to another.

Also, isn't it in the public interest for them to successfully exit rehab as a fully functioning member of society instead of being a burden on the taxpayer by taking up a jail cell?

If you're worried about the potential danger then you must also be worried about men being potential rapists due to having a penis, or everyone being potential murderers and/or burglars due to having hands.

There are many drug addicts that don't resort to crime, it's not fair to generalise based on a stereotype.
You know very well that isn't wha most people define as taking drugs.

Most people are wrong then.
Reply 57
I never said they didn't make a conscious decision to do them, what's your point?

As I've said above, smokers and alcoholics pay far more tax on their products than they'll ever need for treatment, so the cost gets carried over to tax already raised from one lot of drug users to another.

Also, isn't it in the public interest for them to successfully exit rehab as a fully functioning member of society instead of being a burden on the taxpayer by taking up a jail cell?

If you're worried about the potential danger then you must also be worried about men being potential rapists due to having a penis, or everyone being potential murderers and/or burglars due to having hands.

There are many drug addicts that don't resort to crime, it's not fair to generalise based on a stereotype.

DO they all successfully exit from rehab? There's a lot more relapsing we all know of.
You're being absolutely ridiculous. You can't make a man NOT have a penis or a hand, but you CAN stop them from doing drugs just with a bit of bigotry.
I'm not generalising but I am talking about the potential offenders, that even you have to admit, DO exist.And this is such an unnecessary burden that can be avoided. This "stereotype" stems from the fact it happens. ALL the time. Again, why risk all this with such a small gamble? Wouldn't people rather be safe?
Ok fine, set aside the taxes. What about the lives being ruined if things go wrong?
I'm stunned that hard drug use is actually being defended!
edit: As for drug use being their conscious decision; this means their situation cannot be sympathised or empathised in any way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why do we judge people at all waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Original post by AvWOW
good to hear!
Humans are optimists. Even you tried coke. Didn't you have confidence yourself that you wouldn't become an addict?That's where it all starts. No one says "oh I want to be an addict"

Yes i had the confidence i wouldn't become addicted as i've never suffered from mental health problems or addiction and with a dependency rate of 15% it seemed unlikely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending