The Student Room Group

How difficult to get an A in Higher Modern Studies?

Need to top up my grades for S6, I just did Higher RMPS and History. Got a B for RMPS and an A for History, how likely is it that I could achieve an A for Modern studies? Is it quite similar to those two subjects?

Scroll to see replies

I got an A this year in it. There's a load of stuff to learn but I only started 2 days before the exam (which I'm sure a lot of people on here would think impossible!), grinding essay plans into my head. That said, they were 8 hour days of solid revision and I only got 40% in the prelim. I'd say that with your A in history you are pretty likely to have the skills required.

To quote my teacher: "It's just a higher, it's easy!"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thedominator6123
I got an A this year in it. There's a load of stuff to learn but I only started 2 days before the exam (which I'm sure a lot of people on here would think impossible!), grinding essay plans into my head. That said, they were 8 hour days of solid revision and I only got 40% in the prelim. I'd say that with your A in history you are pretty likely to have the skills required.

Well done on your A! And thank you, yeah it'll be a crash higher. I did think it was probably pretty similar to History, which is a hell of a lot of work but it is doable. :smile:
I also got an A this year in it. And I'm on the same level as the previous post in that I started studying like a few days before the exam. (I would advise against it)

But basically like History, if you learn the essays then you'll be fine. Just watch because unlike History where the essay content is the same no matter the question, with Mods you may need to tweak the wording slightly for it to fit your knowledge!

And the source questions are relatively easy!
Modern Studies- Hiya there, I was reading my How to pass Higher Modern Studies, I have an question . How do I make my options, do I Search online for solutions.My Hypothesis is "Migration has impacted the EU".
How many paragraphs should you write for a 12 and 20 mark essay? (Including the Introduction and conclusion)
I got an A and to be honest its just about remembering facts and knowing how to evaluate/ analyse! You will be fine!
Original post by thedominator6123

I got 12% in the prelim hahaha
Does anyone have any predictions for the essays in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lauren.brown
Does anyone have any predictions for the essays in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

my teachers seems to think that the 20 marker is going to be on the usa unit
Reply 10
Original post by emmadohertyxx
my teachers seems to think that the 20 marker is going to be on the usa unit

As does mine, I kinda hope so tbh I am kinda chill with international relations, powers of the president etc.
Hi there , how do you perfect an essay like I know KAKAC formula, but how do you perfect it . A Markers! Please share your essays!.
Reply 12
Original post by Ethan100
How many paragraphs should you write for a 12 and 20 mark essay? (Including the Introduction and conclusion)

Hi, so for a 20 mark essay it would be 6 paragraphs depending on the amount of detail paragraph. For a 12 mark essay, you do not do an introduction but you would do 4 paragraphs and a small conclusion. This is the formula I stuck to last year, I got an A.
my teacher has his predictions on the questions, he is sure the 20 marker will be on world powers, last year he got 3/4 right
the questions he thinks are mot likely
democracy: voting behaviour, scrutiny of goverment, constitutional areas
crime n the law: impact of crime, prison and alternatives, courts
world power: influence, constitutional arangements, how democratic
Original post by tessglasgow
my teacher has his predictions on the questions, he is sure the 20 marker will be on world powers, last year he got 3/4 right
the questions he thinks are mot likely
democracy: voting behaviour, scrutiny of goverment, constitutional areas
crime n the law: impact of crime, prison and alternatives, courts
world power: influence, constitutional arangements, how democratic

For democracy, what do you mean by constitutional areas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i mean devolution and independance, sovereigncy, its an area which im really bad at tho so i dont really know much
Reply 16
lol i did mods and politics, managed to get AB , both really easy subjects if you can pull off an allnighter before the exams...
Original post by fabstrawberry
Need to top up my grades for S6, I just did Higher RMPS and History. Got a B for RMPS and an A for History, how likely is it that I could achieve an A for Modern studies? Is it quite similar to those two subjects?

Modern studies is easy enough, you'll be able to get an A easily I'm sure. Just make sure you put recent information e.g. 2015, 2016 into your essays and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 18
Has anyone got any essay plans they are willing to share, I will give you the multiple ones I have in return :smile:
I come from Aberdeen and my teacher has similar predictions for crime and the law! I feel that there are about 40 potential essay questions, how do I even begin learning things? Do you advise I learn about 9 different bullet pointed essay plans for each of the three topics??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending