The Student Room Group

Bigotry towards drug users.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drunk Punx
However, if the drugs were legalised and regulated then people would be paying tax on them, which would offset the cost of the taxpayer.

But I'm guessing you don't see that as a viable option because "drugz r bad", right?

There's no discourse with some people.

Also, because I'm apparently the only ****er on here who actually bothers with sources, here's how much tax has been raised from smoking in the past few years:
http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-publications-research/facts-figures/tax-revenue-from-tobacco/

Smoking costs the NHS £2billion a year (approx).
http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_95.pdf

I'd wager that there are far more smokers than there are drug users, so we've got £8billion in excess tax money that comes from people who use drugs (in this case, nicotine).

Yes, I don't see it as a viable option because drugs are bad. I do think the government should encourage people to live and not die of preventable diseases just so that they can make some extra tax revenue.
Reply 81
Original post by Drunk Punx
Have you seen the Talk to Frank thing about cannabis? It's hilarious, and rather misinformed. I debunked it a few years ago on here, and people seemed to rather like it so I'm guessing I wasn't wrong in my assessment. Point being, the education could be a hell of a lot better.

Now you're the one being ridiculous.

This is the last time I will repeat this, so clean out your ears and listen.

SOCIAL OSTRACISATION DOES NOT WORK.

Got it? Your argument is flawed, and you're wrong. Deal. With. It.

Again, it's their choice. Unless you fancy living somewhere like the Philippines where the President is calling for everyone to kill drug users you're going to have to deal with people having freedom of choice and facing the responsibility of their actions.

Doesn't make it right, but I'd rather have a free society than a totalitarian state.

1)I'm not from your part of the world fam. So I don't know this show, (which I'm assuming is an educational program of sorts)
2) If you exaggerate, i very well can as well :smile:
3) SOCIAL STIGMA MOST DEFINITELY DOES WORK. Why won't it? It's obvious. Biologically and psychologically.
4) Yeah sure. The choice of a stubborn, self-desctructive and selfish ****.
I mean there's absolutely socially-acceptable choices of sexual orientation, political opinion, gender identity and all that. Choice to do drugs? What even. What next? Choice to rape?
Original post by dingleberry jam
Do you know anyone that has never done any drug of any type, doesn't seem like a choice to me, it seems inherent to human nature.

I can't use any of the legal recreational drugs, alcohol, caffeine and nicotine make me ill, i have a preference for other drugs, is that really so different to a preference for a different sex?

Drugs are human nature? That's ****ed. Where in biology does it mention it is perfectly healthy for humans to use abusive substances as a way of life?
As you you say it is your preference. Do not bring biology into this. No doctor is going to you a free prescription to suicide.
Reply 83
It'd be nice if we could do both.

It would be unnecessary.
(I'm out. I have stuff to do.
Hope ANYTHING i said went through to ya. Peace)
Original post by Psychedeliyaa
Drugs are human nature? That's ****ed. Where in biology does it mention it is perfectly healthy for humans to use abusive substances as a way of life?
As you you say it is your preference. Do not bring biology into this. No doctor is going to you a free prescription to suicide.

The vast majority of humans use drugs always have done, always will, how do you explain that if it isn't human nature to do so?
(edited 7 years ago)
Why is it acceptable? What makes it any different to bigotry directed at gays?

Well the simple fact that you can die from taking drugs, so essentially, promoting the free use of abusive substances is assisted suicide. One would also be obliviously endorsing mental illnesses such as addiction.
Homosexuality on the other hand is natural and doesn't need to to be stopped.
Should we stop treating gay HIV patients? How about skiers with broken legs? Horse riders that fall off? Drivers that crash?

To an extent, Yes.

If it is their fault, then it is their responsibility. One example is me. When I was younger, I did not know how to swim. I completely stayed away from water. Now, I am a bit better, but I still stay away from water. I am extra careful and swim when there is 100% or very high support around e.g. large pools etc.

We should regulate this nanny state, where people continue to push the boundaries of reason to see how far they can go. I am for the welfare system, but for those who need it.

When a person goes out with mates and then drinks way more than the recommended dose, why should they then cause more stress to the health care providers and public? Drinking alchohol is not a competiton.

I know people, who have really abused the system. They go out on a Friday, drink absurd amounts, get rushed to the hospital and then repeat it next weekend.

If a drug user has had a bad time in life and fell on hard times, they find themselves dependent on drugs. I accept that they should seek expert help to get off the drugs. However, if they choose not to seek help to get off the drugs, then so be it. They have themselves to blame.

It sounds harsh, but it has to be done. I am not a bigot. I don't care what people do with their free time, but they should not force their issues (when it gets out of hand) on others. It is simply unfair to the masses, who actively and cautiously stay away from drugs.

There are people who have died from this horrible vice could drugs, whether soft or hard drugs. We should not have zero tolerance but the tolerance level must be low.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well the simple fact that you can die from taking drugs, so essentially, promoting the free use of abusive substances is assisted suicide. One would also be obliviously endorsing mental illnesses such as addiction.
Homosexuality on the other hand is natural and doesn't need to to be stopped.

We can say this about all kinds of activities and substances, but yes i agree we shouldn't be promoting these things, we should ban the advertising of them.
The vast majority of humans use drugs always have done, always will, how do you explain that if it isn't human nature to do so?

I am not talking about medicinal and legal recreational drugs, I am talking about the abusive drugs that humans do not need. For example humans do not require heroin as a means of survival as they would for say, carbs and proteins, therefore a human can live without drugs and their is no need for it in the world.

And dude, I'm not anti-drugs. I have taken drugs before and they were fun. Fortunately I've never been addicted because I've only had them inside me like three times in my life, but I have seen some consequences and they are not pretty. Humanity does not need that.
Original post by Wired_1800
To an extent, Yes.

If it is their fault, then it is their responsibility. One example is me. When I was younger, I did not know how to swim. I completely stayed away from water. Now, I am a bit better, but I still stay away from water. I am extra careful and swim when there is 100% or very high support around e.g. large pools etc.

We should regulate this nanny state, where people continue to push the boundaries of reason to see how far they can go. I am for the welfare system, but for those who need it.

When a person goes out with mates and then drinks way more than the recommended dose, why should they then cause more stress to the health care providers and public? Drinking alchohol is not a competiton.

I know people, who have really abused the system. They go out on a Friday, drink absurd amounts, get rushed to the hospital and then repeat it next weekend.

If a drug user has had a bad time in life and fell on hard times, they find themselves dependent on drugs. I accept that they should seek expert help to get off the drugs. However, if they choose not to seek help to get off the drugs, then so be it. They have themselves to blame.

It sounds harsh, but it has to be done. I am not a bigot. I don't care what people do with their free time, but they should not force their issues (when it gets out of hand) on others. It is simply unfair to the masses, who actively and cautiously stay away from drugs.

There are people who have died from this horrible vice could drugs, whether soft or hard drugs. We should not have zero tolerance but the tolerance level must be low.

Well at least you're consistent.
I am not talking about medicinal and legal recreational drugs, I am talking about the abusive drugs that humans do not need. For example humans do not require heroin as a means of survival as they would for say, carbs and proteins, therefore a human can live without drugs and their is no need for it in the world.

And dude, I'm not anti-drugs. I have taken drugs before and they were fun. Fortunately I've never been addicted because I've only had them inside me like three times in my life, but I have seen some consequences and they are not pretty. Humanity does not need that.

Never said you were, we may not need them but they definitely have their uses,
the NHS uses vast amounts of heroin, we're learning new things about the uses for cannabis, psilocybin, MDMA, LSD... every day. Fun and enjoyment have their place too, we all need an escape from time to time, why alcohol is better than MDMA for that i have no idea. We're never going to eradicate all drugs and the world would be a much worse place if we did.
Nope I have never taken any recreational drugs nor will I. It is pretty scummy and most of the people who do take recreational drugs are Idiots.

But I did have a similar experience where I was on morphine for pain and they gave me a few syringes full of morphine and told me if I am in bad pain I should take them, I took one immediately due to the pain and then about 30 mins later I took the other, Not reading or being able to read the Note saying do not take more than 1 per 6 hrs or something.

It was absolutely horrible and the next few days after being off it was terrible and I felt mentally and physically sick
It's simply stigma. We see drug addicts and more often than not, instead of helping them by empathising with them and trying to understand their situation and what fuels their addiction, we judge. For many it's so much easier to judge from afar and surround drug addicts with this cloud of negativity as if it's all their fault and they can't be helped, than taking the time to tackle their problem head on.
Yeah pretty rare, think its something > 90% that have ever used alcohol.
Reply 94
Vast majority of people have drank alcohol and even if you don't count that, which would be stupid, loads have had weed as well

Have you ever seen the new born baby of a heroin addict who's having withdrawal? This baby who has no experience of the world or of how 'fun' drugs are, yet their body is physically craving it as if their life depends on it.
I think most people are judgemental of people who do drugs to the exclusion of being productive citizens/having other hobbies, rather than people who use drugs for fun now and then and still manage to maintain a real life as well.

Maybe that's just me, though :dontknow:
water is a drug
I agree
I sometimes, maybe one every other day, have a little weed to help me sleep when I need to be up early for work in the morning. I am seeing absolutely no cognitive effects long term. that's maybe different from other drugs I've used like MDMA (although that could have been psychosomatic).
drugs shouldn't be stigmatised - but the government causes it via its war on drugs.
I agree - most people are total hypocrites when it comes to the drugs issue
they'll say "cannabis destroys your life" while sipping wine or caffeine
they'll say "mdma will kill you" while downing some potentially deadly prescription meds, or cocodamols/paracetamols

Quick Reply

Latest