The Student Room Group

Can universities go back on their word?

So I've got my results back and I've met my offer for mech engineering but I'm just wondering if it is possible for a university to decline you even though you have a conditional offer and have met the offer requirements. Also the deadline to hand in my results was apparently the 31st of July but I got my results late.The university had emailed me back and said that they have extended my deadline to the 31st of August which is good but...Can they go back on their word? I have the email for proof and stuff, I guess it's just that...I don't trust them. Am I worrying for no reason or are my concerns legitimate?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Well I don't believe they're bound by law to honor any offer they make, i'd be surprised if there wasn't a get out clause in there somewhere.

That being said I've yet to hear of anyone having universities turn around and tell them to hop it bar when grades are missed or the student disgraces themselves.
Original post by Tayranitar
So I've got my results back and I've met my offer for mech engineering but I'm just wondering if it is possible for a university to decline you even though you have a conditional offer and have met the offer requirements. Also the deadline to hand in my results was apparently the 31st of July but I got my results late.The university had emailed me back and said that they have extended my deadline to the 31st of August which is good but...Can they go back on their word? I have the email for proof and stuff, I guess it's just that...I don't trust them.Am I worrying for no reason or are my concerns legitimate?

No, if you meet your offer by the agreed deadline, they are legally required to take you.
Original post by Tayranitar
So I've got my results back and I've met my offer for mech engineering but I'm just wondering if it is possible for a university to decline you even though you have a conditional offer and have met the offer requirements. Also the deadline to hand in my results was apparently the 31st of July but I got my results late.The university had emailed me back and said that they have extended my deadline to the 31st of August which is good but...Can they go back on their word? I have the email for proof and stuff, I guess it's just that...I don't trust them. Am I worrying for no reason or are my concerns legitimate?

You're worrying for no reason, if they've said they've extended the deadline for you.

With regards to them "going back on their word", I'm certain they can, it's probably written in their legal documents somewhere; perhaps something to the effect of "we reserve the right to cancel an offer" etc, etc.
If the university has offered you a conditional place, and you have met those conditions, you are in. The only way they would take back their offer is if you lied on your application or had been cheating in your exams, something along those lines. You need to remember all universities will be busy processing applications for September starts as (at least in Scotland) exam results are out and I believe England are to follow? So it is a busy time for them all. I certainly wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Alright, thanks for the responses, I feel more reassured now.

Only thing that makes me feel nervous now is that even though they said that they extended the deadline on the email, ucas track was not updated with the new deadline, it still has the old one. I mentioned the deadline extension in my email back to them with my results though. :Z

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending