The Student Room Group

Applying for first job

I am 18 years old (finished A levels in June) and am looking to apply for a summer job so that I can save a little bit of money before I go to university in October (will be studying Pharmacy at the University of Bath, btw). I realise this is a little late, however I have been preoccupied with other things (holiday, dealing with family friends staying over, etc). My problem is that I am struggling to write my CV because I have few extracurricular activities; I pursued a few in the past (football, tennis, piano) however I dropped out due to a lack of interest. Would those activities be worth mentioning (since I haven't been actively doing them for several years)?

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I would love to hear your experiences. Also, how would you prepare for your first job interview?
Original post by thewindshifts
I am 18 years old (finished A levels in June) and am looking to apply for a summer job so that I can save a little bit of money before I go to university in October (will be studying Pharmacy at the University of Bath, btw). I realise this is a little late, however I have been preoccupied with other things (holiday, dealing with family friends staying over, etc). My problem is that I am struggling to write my CV because I have few extracurricular activities; I pursued a few in the past (football, tennis, piano) however I dropped out due to a lack of interest. Would those activities be worth mentioning (since I haven't been actively doing them for several years)?

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I would love to hear your experiences. Also, how would you prepare for your first job interview?

Id still mention the hobbies- even though you dont do them any more, they are still worth mentioning.
Id apply to somewhere like mcdonalds- where you have the option of keeping the job on and going back in the holidays. Or possibly also working at a branch near uni as well.
Original post by Emma:-)
Id still mention the hobbies- even though you dont do them any more, they are still worth mentioning.
Id apply to somewhere like mcdonalds- where you have the option of keeping the job on and going back in the holidays. Or possibly also working at a branch near uni as well.

Okay, thanks for your advice :smile:

You could always post a CV in TSR's dedicated forum, and maybe someone can help you out! Also, I hate to say it, but you've left it very late to get a summer job, so I would look into temping agencies instead.
I doubt you'd find anything now for summer...I mean where I work the jobs for Christmas are going live in a couple of weeks...
Original post by Jackieox
I doubt you'd find anything now for summer...I mean where I work the jobs for Christmas are going live in a couple of weeks...

Would it be too late to apply for Christmas jobs when I move into uni (likely end of September), since I live so far away from my uni city?
Would it be too late to apply for Christmas jobs when I move into uni (likely end of September), since I live so far away from my uni city?

They normally look at hiring Christmas staff in September/October, so not at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending