The Student Room Group

do i go to medical school ?

okay so my story is quit complicated , my parents are forcing me to go to medical school , because in my family there is no other job grateful like being a doctor , especially that i got 3 relatives that are doctors , so basically my parents are expecting me to be one , and it actually was my childhood dream job , but it was all programed by my parents , but i noticed that my sister is working so hard she studies like 24/7 and she is depressed though it was her childhood dream job. i am a bright student with straight A's but i really dont want to be studying all my life , i know i will be depressed . . i really like human nutrition and body health and diet , but i know my parents wont be proud of me , they want a job with good salary and high respect , and i dont really know how much human nutrition or dietician could make , i want to make them proud of me and my job , and i want to be happy with my job at the same time , i really dont know what to do ! please help !
If you are passionate about pursuing nutrition, you are much more likely to be happy and successful in your future job and I'm sure if you are doing what makes you happy, your parents will be proud of you regardless. If you don't have a genuine passion for medicine, it is unlikely that you will be happy if you succeed, so you shouldn't allow your parents to dictate something as important as this. As much as it seems clear that they only want the best for you, they may not know exactly how to go about this. The best advice I can give is to talk to your parents about how you truly feel and try to figure it out. You may feel much better for doing so! Hope this has been some help and good luck!
Original post by sarah0003
okay so my story is quit complicated , my parents are forcing me to go to medical school , because in my family there is no other job grateful like being a doctor , especially that i got 3 relatives that are doctors , so basically my parents are expecting me to be one , and it actually was my childhood dream job , but it was all programed by my parents , but i noticed that my sister is working so hard she studies like 24/7 and she is depressed though it was her childhood dream job. i am a bright student with straight A's but i really dont want to be studying all my life , i know i will be depressed . . i really like human nutrition and body health and diet , but i know my parents wont be proud of me , they want a job with good salary and high respect , and i dont really know how much human nutrition or dietician could make , i want to make them proud of me and my job , and i want to be happy with my job at the same time , i really dont know what to do ! please help !

Sweety please do not study Medicine if you cannot hand on heart tell yourself this is what YOU want to do and not your parents. Whilst in the short term your parents might be annoyed at you for not following this career so path, ultimately they will be happy for you if you choose a career path that you want eg nutrition and make a success of it. I'm a medical student now, and believe me it gets tough, you really need the passion for it which comes from within you, not instilled by your parents, to get through some parts of medical school. Beyond medical school it gets tougher, as you correctly highlighted, doctors will be studying for a long time beyond graduation. They'll still be taking exams in their 30s and maybe even 40s. There's long hours, it's exhausting, with the new junior doctor contracts coming in, things are set to get tougher. I'm saying all this so you're aware of it, that being a doctor isn't this magical thing that your parents are protraying it to be, you've got to really want to do it and have a motivation for it to remain resilient in this career path. You need to sit them down and be honest with them. If you feel intimidated to do this on your own, ask your head of 6th form or form tutor if you can arrange a meeting after school with you, your parents and them where you can tell them the truth and the teacher can also reinforce the idea that it's YOUR choice what career your choose to go into as its YOUR life.
Reply 3
i'm telling you - it really isn't the most glamorous job at all- there are much better paying jobs with fewer hours AND 5 YEARS WORTH OF DEBT . They're basically workhorses nowadays which is a shame. Even academically it isn't the most rigorous , very memory based - i say this as a medicine offer holder a bit unsure of his choice .

Maybe I'm biased but the current climate with the new contract is quite deflating - don't go in if you don't like it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chemphys
i'm telling you - it really isn't the most glamorous job at all- there are much better paying jobs with fewer hours AND 5 YEARS WORTH OF DEBT . They're basically workhorses nowadays which is a shame. Even academically it isn't the most rigorous , very memory based - i say this as a medicine offer holder a bit unsure of his choice .

Maybe I'm biased but the current climate with the new contract is quite deflating - don't go in if you don't like it

I too am a medicine offer holder and a part of me is hoping i miss my offer.
Original post by thedylanman
I too am a medicine offer holder and a part of me is hoping i miss my offer.

Why did you guys apply to Medicine then if you're so unsure you want to even study it??:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending