Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Posted from TSR Mobile

What type of person do you mean?
Reply 21
Original post by kennethdcharles
Posted from TSR Mobile

What type of person do you mean?

Sorry, only just seen this. You don't need to worry as you're not that kind of person, but I'll explain anyway. Over this year I've seen people who I previously thought were clever and got pretty good grades just crumble and fail. You're maybe less likely to see this because you're going to a highly selective sixth form, but there are some people that just can't cope.

Mods: I'm planning to bump this thread after GCSE results day and on the first day of school, if that's okay?
Reply 22
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh alright cheers for that!
also most people who thought they were clever didnt revise for gcses and tried to do the same for a s levels I think this is one of the factors for some people who dont do as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
also most people who thought they were clever didnt revise for gcses and tried to do the same for a s levels I think this is one of the factors for some people who dont do as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Typically that kind of person won't be a TSR user, as that kind of advice is plastered all over here.
Hey, great post! I just finished year 12 too and took maths, further maths, computer science and French. I've considered dropping French for A2 because I know that next year will be hectic but I'm hesitant since it's my favourite subject (although also one I find quite difficult). The decision is made even harder by the fact that my school doesn't give free periods to students taking four subjects so I would have to do all of my work at (a rather loud and busy) home.

Do you plan to take all four of your subjects on to A2? And also are you a native French speaker? I'm not, but I find learning a language so much fun even though I'm not a huge fan of writing essays in the language.

I'm quite a hard worker but with extra responsibilities such as being head boy, having an A2 CompSci project and running a YouTube channel I'm not sure how will I'd be able to handle all of the work. What do you think?

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Edit: I should probably add that I'm applying to do computer science at university which is why I'm not thinking of dropping any of my other subjects. What course are you applying for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Tamago2474
Hey, great post! I just finished year 12 too and took maths, further maths, computer science and French. I've considered dropping French for A2 because I know that next year will be hectic but I'm hesitant since it's my favourite subject (although also one I find quite difficult). The decision is made even harder by the fact that my school doesn't give free periods to students taking four subjects so I would have to do all of my work at (a rather loud and busy) home.

Do you plan to take all four of your subjects on to A2? And also are you a native French speaker? I'm not, but I find learning a language so much fun even though I'm not a huge fan of writing essays in the language.

I'm quite a hard worker but with extra responsibilities such as being head boy, having an A2 CompSci project and running a YouTube channel I'm not sure how will I'd be able to handle all of the work. What do you think?

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Edit: I should probably add that I'm applying to do computer science at university which is why I'm not thinking of dropping any of my other subjects. What course are you applying for?

Nope, I'm not a native french speaker either. I'm 95% sure I will be dropping a subject- and this will be french unless I do really badly in another subject. I'll still continue to learn it though, along with Spanish especially as most universities have language centres or whatever.

Considering you want to do CompSci (I assume), you don't need to do French whatsoever.
Original post by richpanda
Nope, I'm not a native french speaker either. I'm 95% sure I will be dropping a subject- and this will be french unless I do really badly in another subject. I'll still continue to learn it though, along with Spanish especially as most universities have language centres or whatever.

Considering you want to do CompSci (I assume), you don't need to do French whatsoever.

Okay cool thanks, I was thinking along the same lines.
Reply 28
Okay cool thanks, I was thinking along the same lines.

Will french be useful in the compsci industry?
Will french be useful in the compsci industry?

Probably not unless I was to work abroad or something. I may just continue learning the language in my own time. I'm actually not 100% set on computing but seeing as I have to choose something that's what I'm applying for right now.

What course are you looking to do at uni?
Reply 30
Probably not unless I was to work abroad or something. I may just continue learning the language in my own time. I'm actually not 100% set on computing but seeing as I have to choose something that's what I'm applying for right now.

What course are you looking to do at uni?

chemical engineering
Maths, Chemistry, Physics and French

Hey, just wanted to ask you about French in particular, as I'm going to be doing it when I start year 12 in September. Obviously a language at A-Level is a really large leap from GCSE, so what advice would you give to stay on top of it?
Reply 32
Original post by cherryblossoming
Hey, just wanted to ask you about French in particular, as I'm going to be doing it when I start year 12 in September. Obviously a language at A-Level is a really large leap from GCSE, so what advice would you give to stay on top of it?

You'll be doing the new spec I guess, so I'm not sure if you still have a speaking assessment or not, although I hope you do.

If you're going to be doing the A level, your grammar is already likely to be pretty good. It's mainly just learning all the new vocab.
You'll be doing the new spec I guess, so I'm not sure if you still have a speaking assessment or not, although I hope you do.

If you're going to be doing the A level, your grammar is already likely to be pretty good. It's mainly just learning all the new vocab.

We do still have the speaking - any tips?

the speaking in A-level languages isnt coursework so I don't think would change and tips for speaking I would say practice speakinh to people in the lamguage as much as possible and don't just have structured conversation have spontaneous speech as the speaking is kinda more spontaneous than gcse I do As spanish but im sure the same applies to french

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
the speaking in A-level languages isnt coursework so I don't think would change and tips for speaking I would say practice speakinh to people in the lamguage as much as possible and don't just have structured conversation have spontaneous speech as the speaking is kinda more spontaneous than gcse I do As spanish but im sure the same applies to french

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! There's this weekly speaking practice thing with the teacher at the sixth form I'm going to so hopefully that'll be helpful.
Reply 36

Practice. That's all.
Thanks! There's this weekly speaking practice thing with the teacher at the sixth form I'm going to so hopefully that'll be helpful.

And if yiu have any friends who are also doing AS French, try occasionally talking in french with them - I know my friends who do AS French do that and while I find it annoying as hell because I don't know french, it's good practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by nomophobia
And if yiu have any friends who are also doing AS French, try occasionally talking in french with them - I know my friends who do AS French do that and while I find it annoying as hell because I don't know french, it's good practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah do this. I only did this near my speaking exam time.
Wanted to ask if you could post an example of your tracking spreadsheet please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending