The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bicks
By new assessments do you mean the end of yr 12 exams? Or are there new entrance exams?

My thoughts/ suggestion on access: many people would talk of the 90+ average ums achieved by those who had successfully gained a place at Cam. When I was thinking of applying, this fact/rumour played on my mind (a lot) in yr 12. It motivated me to do as well as I could and I managed to score highly. It was something I didn't think I could do because 90+ sounded ridiculously hard to achieve when you're an outsider/do not know many people who have scored highly. But that worry should no longer affect the new yr 12's.

Now that ums is out of the window, access teams can push the message that strangely there may be one fewer hurdle to clear in the admissions process (I know, it should not be seen as a 'hurdle' ). This may boost applications from those who previously may not have applied. I don't think such a push will decrease the quality of applicants because the admissions team ought to trust the other indicators you have in place, namely interviews/admissions tests etc, will act as a proxy for the old ums indicator (not to mention the conditions of any offer made).

In my limited experience, college access teams are conscientious and they receive good backing from Fellows. So I have no doubt you will try to give as many good students a fair chance!

As @jneill has pointed out, the University is introducing a series of admissions assessments in nearly all subjects.

Thank you for your thoughts on access. I think you are right that the emphasis on UMS and especially the ill-founded rumours about the level that one needed even to be competitive did put off a lot of candidates. Many were put off for good reason but lots of others who would have been competitive were discouraged because of their performance on this metric.

it will be interesting to see what happens with application numbers in the future and I hope that we will be able to attract applicants from all backgrounds who have the potential to do well.
Reply 141
Is it possible to transfer medical school and gain admission to the clinical school if you've attained a first over the pre-clinical years? My university doesn't award a pre-clinical degree as there is no compulsory intercalation after 2nd year so you go straight into clinical years (3-5). Reason I ask is I'm potentially thinking about the MB PhD route.

I'm thinking of intercalating after 3rd year anyway.

Additional info
Achieved 10A*s at GCSE
4As at AS
3A*s at A level at 94 UMS average
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello

I am curious to know, as Cambridge have access to the STEP scripts, how is this taken into consideration when deciding who to take from candidates who narrowly missed the STEP offer. Does the quality of work get taken into account or is the number of questions attempted more of a factor. So, for example would a candidate be more likely to be accepted if when you saw their script they missed the grade due to a few silly mistakes but they answered 4 questions reasonable well than a candidate that attempted 6 questions partially and missed the grade by a few marks.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hi, would you say it is significantly harder to get into trinity college cambridge for engineering than other colleges (I understand it doesnt effect the whole application to cambridge). Are students at trinity worked harder too as trinity has a significantly greater 1st %. Thanks
Original post by ChkATM
Is it possible to transfer medical school and gain admission to the clinical school if you've attained a first over the pre-clinical years? My university doesn't award a pre-clinical degree as there is no compulsory intercalation after 2nd year so you go straight into clinical years (3-5). Reason I ask is I'm potentially thinking about the MB PhD route.

I'm thinking of intercalating after 3rd year anyway.

Additional info
Achieved 10A*s at GCSE
4As at AS
3A*s at A level at 94 UMS average

I don't deal with graduate admissions but I do not believe that it is possible to transfer into clinical study at Cambridge from outside in the way that it used to be. It is possible to apply for the Graduate Course in Medicine for those with a first degree in another subject but I do not think that that is what you're after given that you are already doing medicine.
Original post by ninjass
Hello

I am curious to know, as Cambridge have access to the STEP scripts, how is this taken into consideration when deciding who to take from candidates who narrowly missed the STEP offer. Does the quality of work get taken into account or is the number of questions attempted more of a factor. So, for example would a candidate be more likely to be accepted if when you saw their script they missed the grade due to a few silly mistakes but they answered 4 questions reasonable well than a candidate that attempted 6 questions partially and missed the grade by a few marks.

Different people will look att STEP scripts in different ways and will be impressed by different things. As a general rule of thumb, however, it is safe to say that what DoSes are most keen on are scores made up by completed questions rather than a few marks being gained on lots of questions.
Original post by jtmass22
Hi, would you say it is significantly harder to get into trinity college cambridge for engineering than other colleges (I understand it doesnt effect the whole application to cambridge). Are students at trinity worked harder too as trinity has a significantly greater 1st %. Thanks

Trinity is one of the more popular colleges for Engineering (indeed, one of the more popular colleges in most subjects). As such, it gives fewer direct offers per place than some other colleges, though, as you recognise, this is mitigated by the Pool (in 2015 Trinity had 134 applicants and made 21 offers including one from the Pool, while a further 13 applicants to Trinity got places at other colleges in the Pool) but this rate of applicants to direct offers is not out of line with other popular colleges such as Churchill, Downing, Emma, King's, Pembroke, Queens' and John's.

Trinity's significantly greater proportion of firsts comes in one subject, Maths, where they massively outperform the rest of the colleges Because they take so many Mathematicians (c.20% of their intake, compared to c.5-10% in most colleges) and they do so well this gives them a huge advantage in the published (Tompkins) and unpublished (Baxter) league tables.

In other subjects Trinity's students do well, as one would expect given the number of applicants they receive, but not noticeably more so than many other colleges.
Trinity is one of the more popular colleges for Engineering (indeed, one of the more popular colleges in most subjects). As such, it gives fewer direct offers per place than some other colleges, though, as you recognise, this is mitigated by the Pool (in 2015 Trinity had 134 applicants and made 21 offers including one from the Pool, while a further 13 applicants to Trinity got places at other colleges in the Pool) but this rate of applicants to direct offers is not out of line with other popular colleges such as Churchill, Downing, Emma, King's, Pembroke, Queens' and John's.

Trinity's significantly greater proportion of firsts comes in one subject, Maths, where they massively outperform the rest of the colleges Because they take so many Mathematicians (c.20% of their intake, compared to c.5-10% in most colleges) and they do so well this gives them a huge advantage in the published (Tompkins) and unpublished (Baxter) league tables.

In other subjects Trinity's students do well, as one would expect given the number of applicants they receive, but not noticeably more so than many other colleges.

Trinity pooled this years Senior Wrangler 😂😂😂👍 to Churchill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. Does the amount of work vary across colleges or are the varying acedemic results based purely on a better quality of applicant.
Original post by physicsmaths
Trinity pooled this years Senior Wrangler 😂😂😂👍 to Churchill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

post-interview?
Original post by jtmass22
Thank you for your reply. Does the amount of work vary across colleges or are the varying acedemic results based purely on a better quality of applicant.

Not significantly or systematically. There is some difference in provision due to the way different colleges and individual DoSes operate but same papers are open to everyone and the two things that really matter are how hard you work and how good you are at your subject.
Reply 151
Hello

I've applied to study MML at Emmanuel College, and naturally I'm absolutely petrified whenever I set my mind to results day! My offer is A*AA were I to obtain A*A*B, with the A*s being in French and Spanish and the B in psychology, would I have much of a chance in the summer pool?

Thanks in advance!
Hello again, thanks for doing this thread!

I'm currently an offer holder, for Comp Sci w/Maths. I have a STEP requirement, but at the interview I was explicitely told that if I miss the STEP grades, but still hit my A level grades, I would be given a place for Comp Sci w/ something else.

My query is, so that I know what to do, if I happen to of missed my STEP requirement, but do hit the A level grades, will I have to do anything such as submitting UMS scores, or waiting any longer, or will my track update at the same time as everyone else? I only ask because I know I'll have to choose an alternative option if I didn't get grades good enough to do the Maths option, so I was therefore assuming track wouldn't update at the same time as others.

Any ideas?

Additionally, reckon there would be any chance I'd ever get to find out how I did on the CSAT? Ever since doing it I'd wondered how my score stacked up against averages etc :biggrin:

Thank you in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gasfxekl
post-interview?

Yep winterpooled him.
Hello!

I'm an international student (EU citizen though) who would like to apply for medicine at Cambridge. I got my IGCSE results two days ago and they're 7A*s (sciences, maths, English Language included) 1A (English lit), and 2Bs. I'm one of the best in my school, but I don't know whether that would be taken into account during admissions.

I would like to choose Cambridge as I went there for an open day and fell in love with the city, let alone the university. The course is interesting too.
I will not be doing A-levels, but much rather IB. Am I a worthy applicant despite my IGCSEs?Does Cambridge distinguish between GCSEs and IGCSEs, or are they treated equally?

Also, would compensating for the Bs with quite a lot of volunteering at the Red Cross and a foster home, as well as ghosting of a surgeon, help?

And for my chances to be higher do I provide % for my HL subjects too?

Thank you very much in advance.
Original post by JPB4298
Hello

I've applied to study MML at Emmanuel College, and naturally I'm absolutely petrified whenever I set my mind to results day! My offer is A*AA were I to obtain A*A*B, with the A*s being in French and Spanish and the B in psychology, would I have much of a chance in the summer pool?

Thanks in advance!

Hello and thanks for your question. Good luck with your results, it's natural to be very nervous at this stage. It's hard to be certain what your chances would be were you to achieve the grades you suggest. You'd have a decent chance, with A*s in your languages, of being accepted by your original college but the choice would be entirely down to them and would involve a number of other considerations. Were you to be placed in the Summer Pool, which, if they decided not to take you, would be very likely then with 2 A*s you'd certainly be competitive in there but it would depend a lot on how many colleges were looking in MML.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Hello again, thanks for doing this thread!

I'm currently an offer holder, for Comp Sci w/Maths. I have a STEP requirement, but at the interview I was explicitely told that if I miss the STEP grades, but still hit my A level grades, I would be given a place for Comp Sci w/ something else.

My query is, so that I know what to do, if I happen to of missed my STEP requirement, but do hit the A level grades, will I have to do anything such as submitting UMS scores, or waiting any longer, or will my track update at the same time as everyone else? I only ask because I know I'll have to choose an alternative option if I didn't get grades good enough to do the Maths option, so I was therefore assuming track wouldn't update at the same time as others.

Any ideas?

Additionally, reckon there would be any chance I'd ever get to find out how I did on the CSAT? Ever since doing it I'd wondered how my score stacked up against averages etc :biggrin:

Thank you in advance!

Hello and thanks for your questions. Obviously I can't comment in detail on what another college may or may not do. Unless, however, your offer letter explicitly stated that were you to achieve your A Level grades but miss STEP then you'd be offered Comp Sci w/something else then the college isn't obligated to make you an offer for something else and track probably won't update. You'd need to send your UMS and ask about what might happen in the email you send with the UMS.

It would be up to the college to tell you how you did in the CSAT. Some DoSes would do this, others wouldn't but it's doubtful whether your DoS would still have the information about how your score compared to other candidates in the university.
Hello

I'll be applying for History (2017 entry) and I've read a couple of history books which I found interesting. I've read on the internet that Cambridge looks for "wide" reading but I don't know whether this means extensive reading on one or two subjects which interest me or reading lots of books on different subjects. Would only reading about one or two things (I'm reading about the American Civil War at the moment) be seen as narrow or would reading about lots of different topics be seen as not having a strong interest - or neither?

Also, while I'm expecting As in three of my AS levels (with good UMS), would a B in Maths matter too much given that it's not that relevant to History? (others are History, Geography and French)

Thanks
Original post by Mac117
Hello!

I'm an international student (EU citizen though) who would like to apply for medicine at Cambridge. I got my IGCSE results two days ago and they're 7A*s (sciences, maths, English Language included) 1A (English lit), and 2Bs. I'm one of the best in my school, but I don't know whether that would be taken into account during admissions.

I would like to choose Cambridge as I went there for an open day and fell in love with the city, let alone the university. The course is interesting too.
I will not be doing A-levels, but much rather IB. Am I a worthy applicant despite my IGCSEs?Does Cambridge distinguish between GCSEs and IGCSEs, or are they treated equally?

Also, would compensating for the Bs with quite a lot of volunteering at the Red Cross and a foster home, as well as ghosting of a surgeon, help?

And for my chances to be higher do I provide % for my HL subjects too?

Thank you very much in advance.

Well done on your IGCSE results, they are a good performance. While they won't be among the very top scores of medicine applicants, they are certainly competitive and there's no reason why you shouldn't apply with these in due course.

Volunteering and work experience is good but what matters is what you lean from it rather than just ticking the box of doing it.

We don't ask for marks from the IB, just points.
I'm considering applying to Cambridge the year to study medicine. Considering I have only done 2 AS levels, what emphasis would be placed on my predicted grades and BMAT considering my lack of AS's?
Thanks in advance 😊

Latest

Trending

Trending