The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
It was a video of a stroke patient where you had to list the clinical signs and then answer some questions about types of stroke and management etc.

None of us could understand why we all did so badly on it, as it seemed like a fairly straightforward station!*

Omg do you go to UEA? They did a film Clip of a woman recovering from a stroke for my end of year OSCE last month. The pass mark was pretty low too...
Original post by Beska
Eeeek George's is in clearing for medicine!

They announced this a few weeks ago. Pretty sure its planned i.e. they kept like 2 or 3 spaces spare to try to see if they can pick up some ridiculously overqualified candidates who got rejected from everywhere else. A bit bizarre, but lets face it, med school entry requirements have never exactly been the most sensical/consistent!
Original post by Mrs House
Omg do you go to UEA? They did a film Clip of a woman recovering from a stroke for my end of year OSCE last month. The pass mark was pretty low too...

I did, I'm an F2 now :smile:
Reply 163
Original post by nexttime
They announced this a few weeks ago. Pretty sure its planned i.e. they kept like 2 or 3 spaces spare to try to see if they can pick up some ridiculously overqualified candidates who got rejected from everywhere else. A bit bizarre, but lets face it, med school entry requirements have never exactly been the most sensical/consistent!

Yea, I read it somewhere a while back. I can't imagine them having many places through clearing. I'm not sure why they'd bother to pick up 2 or 3 candidates through clearing... surely it's makes more sense to just give the places to the 2 or 3 people who just missed out on the offer or interview score... Waiting list...

Hmm then again maybe it's a good idea for each of the med schools to have 2 or 3 places in clearing for the 'ridiculously overqualified' candidates...
Quite unfair to have a high pass mark in GEM because you guys have a LOT more to cover in 1 semester

You'd assume that. But in my GEP year a third failed one of the exams due to it being horrific and high pass mark... We are known as THAT year haha. We just did 3 exams and an OSCE at the end of the 10 months of all pre clinical, hell absolute hell
Original post by lcsurfer
You'd assume that. But in my GEP year a third failed one of the exams due to it being horrific and high pass mark... We are known as THAT year haha. We just did 3 exams and an OSCE at the end of the 10 months of all pre clinical, hell absolute hell

Don't know how you guys manage to fit it all in. It's hard enough on the 5 year haha
Don't know how you guys manage to fit it all in. It's hard enough on the 5 year haha

In all fairness, it should be roughly equal in terms of time spent. Theoretically GEPs should know a bit more than undergrads. For my uni, the difference in length between GPEP and Year1&2 if about 15 weeks, if the one 4 week exam period is taken off from Year1&2 (since GPEP's just got one exam), which is incidentally about the length of the first term where basic sciences are taught. Since GPEPs are meant to be from science backgrounds here, that term should be fairly negligible.

Still... I wouldn't like to cram all the scenarios from phase 1 &2 into 3 papers! The revision would be a nightmare!
Original post by Anonymous
x

Keep forgetting to uncheck that anon.
:oops:

In all fairness, it should be roughly equal in terms of time spent. Theoretically GEPs should know a bit more than undergrads. For my uni, the difference in length between GPEP and Year1&2 if about 15 weeks, if the one 4 week exam period is taken off from Year1&2 (since GPEP's just got one exam), which is incidentally about the length of the first term where basic sciences are taught. Since GPEPs are meant to be from science backgrounds here, that term should be fairly negligible.

Still... I wouldn't like to cram all the scenarios from phase 1 &2 into 3 papers! The revision would be a nightmare!

Yeah, now I've done it I certainly wouldn't chose any differently. I was happy to get the classroom teaching over quickly.
The thing is, you don't know any different. Yes, you know the undergrads don't have as many modules, but you just get on with your full days. And we did two less exams (because one year less) so thats always a bonus (just a pain to have to learn more in a shorter space of time, but again you don't know any different).
Spare a thought for the GEPs on Canada's 3 year medical degree... :eek:
Original post by Democracy
Spare a thought for the GEPs on Canada's 3 year medical degree... :eek:

Ouch! But then are they like America and have biochem requirements in their undergrad?
Original post by ForestCat
Ouch! But then are they like America and have biochem requirements in their undergrad?

Ha, this is only at one med school and I think they still have to do biochem. I think they just have next to no holidays (two weeks?).
Original post by Democracy
Ha, this is only at one med school and I think they still have to do biochem. I think they just have next to no holidays (two weeks?).

ouch!!
Anyone else not getting any work done because of the olympics? I am loving this GB gold rush atm :biggrin:*
These holidays are going far too quickly.

I know :frown:

I start again in just over a month. I am excited to start second year, but in an LDR during term time so dont want summer to end, its hard because were 4.5 hours apart on the train as well.
I know :frown:

I start again in just over a month. I am excited to start second year, but in an LDR during term time so dont want summer to end, its hard because were 4.5 hours apart on the train as well.

We start back in two weeks. And next year its even worse, non stop from start of Jan to end of July with some major exams sandwiched in there. I don't know how they expect us to not collapse with exhaustion.
We start back in two weeks. And next year its even worse, non stop from start of Jan to end of July with some major exams sandwiched in there. I don't know how they expect us to not collapse with exhaustion.

I really do feel for the clinical medics with long years, its insane!

4th year at Cardiff sounds similar to what your describing above, major OSCEs and the start of finals! couldnt imagine starting back in two weeks though.

If by a science background you mean a C in GCSE chemistry being my highest science achievement...
Even the science students struggled and it was dead split down the middle how people did science background or not *

We had that this year... Just take some schedules long weekends away, i pulled a few sickies at work to go away for the bank holidays etc. It's long but just pace yourself and i found getting into a revision routine early on helped so so much when it came to exams so i wasn't absolutely exhausted it was just part of my routine.

*It's do-able but i had my yearly I'm absolutely exhausted please just let me sit in my bed for a week minor breakdown 2 weeks ago after going straight from exams into elective/more hours at work not just my regular 1 12hr shift a week. So i slept for 14 hours and didn't move for approximately 24hrs haha.

Original post by Natalierm2707
I really do feel for the clinical medics with long years, its insane!

4th year at Cardiff sounds similar to what your describing above, major OSCEs and the start of finals! couldnt imagine starting back in two weeks though.

Been back at uni for 3 weeks now :frown: Our new clinical years terms are from end of July to mid June

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending