The Student Room Group

Official 2016 IGCSE Results Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm so mad our school won't give our iGCSE results until the proper results day :frown: I wanna know how I did!!!
Original post by Mac117
I did! Had the awful Bee exam

Hi! I also had it and am quite frustrated with my grade - B. Despite having done a ton of practice tests, and having an A* for my mock, as well as the predicted grade A*. :frown: Are you happy with your mark? And do people think it is worth to have my papers remarked? It's 77 overall, I think it did not represent my knowledge or skills of English whatsoever. :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by amelialv
Hi! I also had it and am quite frustrated with my grade - B. Despite having done a ton of practice tests, and having an A* for my mock, as well as the predicted grade A*. :frown: Are you happy with your mark? And do people think it is worth to have my papers remarked? It's 77 overall, I think it did not represent my knowledge or skills of English whatsoever. :/

I scraped an A*, but really barely (90)! It's a good enough grade for me, sure I wanted more % but the letter matters the most. You could ask for a remark, many of my friends are doing so. There's also a November session so don't worry :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
I'm so mad our school won't give our iGCSE results until the proper results day :frown: I wanna know how I did!!!

Preach, it's so frustrating! I've tried to get my login to view them online by contacting my exam's officer. Unfortunately, no reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
Preach, it's so frustrating! I've tried to get my login to view them online by contacting my exam's officer. Unfortunately, no reply.

Yup I've tried viewing them on my school site but they didn't publish them!
Yup I've tried viewing them on my school site but they didn't publish them!

I had a look on my site too, nothing either. It's a real shame and it's just making me much more anxious knowing I could have them!
I had a look on my site too, nothing either. It's a real shame and it's just making me much more anxious knowing I could have them!

Yup same here! I have no idea which components I did as part of the course so I don't know what the grade boundaries are for me :colonhash: The whole grade threshold document is in gibberish
Yup same here! I have no idea which components I did as part of the course so I don't know what the grade boundaries are for me :colonhash: The whole grade threshold document is in gibberish

What subjects did you do? Yeah, it's unusual. There is only a maximum of an A grade for individual components, then a weighting factor Is applied and that is what determines your UMS (not called UMS with CIE, not sure what the other abbreviation is, but it's basically the same) and thus your grade.
What subjects did you do? Yeah, it's unusual. There is only a maximum of an A grade for individual components, then a weighting factor Is applied and that is what determines your UMS (not called UMS with CIE, not sure what the other abbreviation is, but it's basically the same) and thus your grade.

English lang and lit with iGCSE! We did English lit a year early though so I only have my English language grade to get this year :smile: What about you?
Yeah yeah I understand I just mean the individual components are numbered and I'm not sure which numbers I did because there's different routes of components you could've done :smile:
English lang and lit with iGCSE! We did English lit a year early though so I only have my English language grade to get this year :smile: What about you?
Yeah yeah I understand I just mean the individual components are numbered and I'm not sure which numbers I did because there's different routes of components you could've done :smile:

Ah, awesome :smile: I did: Physics, Chemistry and Biology. In regards to the numbers, there are different variants, with my exams I did variant 1 for all of my exams because I'm from the UK, that means that I did (21, 41 and 61) for all 3 subjects. Good luck with your results! :biggrin:
Ah, awesome :smile: I did: Physics, Chemistry and Biology. In regards to the numbers, there are different variants, with my exams I did variant 1 for all of my exams because I'm from the UK, that means that I did (21, 41 and 61) for all 3 subjects. Good luck with your results! :biggrin:

Very nice! Thank you, good luck with yours also! :smile:
Original post by Mac117
Good job man! For me literature was the killer and I got only an A. My class dropped a few grades and some who were predicted an A* ended with a B or a C! Glad you're happy :smile: And all 8 A*s is awesome! Wish I had 100% A*-ratio! But I'll take my 7A*s too haha.

Thank you so much! 7A*s is a great achievement as well! :smile:
Got my results today. By God's grace they were pretty decent.
Got straight A*s.
ICT 0417 - A* (90%)
FL English 0500 - A* (90%)
Biology 0610 - A* (95%)
French 0520 - A* (95%)
Physics 0625 - A* (96%)
Mathematics Without Coursework 0580 - A* (96%)
Additional Mathematics 0606 - A* (96%)
Chemistry 0620 - A* (98%)

Good luck to all those who have gotten heir results or are yet to. Hope the best for you and I hope that you end up fulfilling your dreams. May God be with you and Pas Charis!

~enigma
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Enigmatically
Got my results today. By God's grace they were pretty decent.
Got straight A*s.
ICT 0417 - A* (90%)
FL English 0500 - A* (90%)
Biology 0610 - A* (95%)
French 0520 - A* (95%)
Physics 0625 - A* (96%)
Mathematics Without Coursework 0580 - A* (96%)
Additional Mathematics 0606 - A* (96%)
Chemistry 0620 - A* (98%)

Good luck to all those who have gotten heir results or are yet to. Hope the best for you and I hope that you end up fulfilling your dreams. May God be with you and Pas Charis!

~enigma

8 A*! Amazing :smile: We got the same % in maths and English, haha. Glad you finally got them (so late though O.o ). Did you take English literature as well?
No I didn't take English Lit. Honestly I think I should have done better in Mod Maths but thank God I got these grades nonetheless. What was your highest subject PUM if I may ask? And to me that Add Maths PUM should be closer to 100. I don't want to pay for a remark either so it can bugger off. Lol. I got them late as my school didn't give me my login details so I had to go to school and get them. Actually what were your PUMs in all subjects? But I am content and elated with my results. To God be the Glory :smile:.
No I didn't take English Lit. Honestly I think I should have done better in Mod Maths but thank God I got these grades nonetheless. What was your highest subject PUM if I may ask? And to me that Add Maths PUM should be closer to 100. I don't want to pay for a remark either so it can bugger off. Lol. I got them late as my school didn't give me my login details so I had to go to school and get them. Actually what were your PUMs in all subjects? But I am content and elated with my results. To God be the Glory :smile:.

My PUMs were as followed:

Co-ordinated sciences(we don't have triple science at school :frown: ) - 94 (meh)
English Language - 90
English literature - 85 (shocked, kinda sad)
French - 98
Mathematics - 96
History - 94 (predicted an A :h: )
Geography - 92 (disappointed, hoped for 95+)
German First Language - 72 (the only B I'm not sad about since I'm not a native and decided to take it as a challenge. Was predicted an A though)
Additional mathematics - 79 (getting a remark, was 1 point off an A* in my mock so super disappointed). Partially self taught but still.

So yeah overall not that bad I guess. Happy with French since I beat a native speaker in my school who took it :biggrin:

Well done with add maths. I'm guessing you want to pursue a maths-heavy career?

Edit: I don't want anyone who reads this to think a B is a terrible grade and should feel stupid! That is not my intention and as long as you're happy with your grades no-one should let you feel bad about them. Cheers :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh my French. Nice one there lad. Considering I didn't prepare adequately for Mathematics that 96 is alright with me. Yeah honestly by grace Add Maths was pretty simple. Did you do 11 21? How was that relative velocity question with the boat? Went down smooth with me. I think the curve for Add Maths at the post 92% was pretty flat although I don't know the specifics. Good job on French and Maths. Honestly speaking if I had a B I would have fasted for 6 months. Aiming for Mathematics / Engineering at Cambridge.
Reply 157
only did french and english language
93 in french and 91 in english (I also did this exam in november last year but only got 89)
super happy that i have 2 a*s even though these were probably my two strongest exams
well done to everyone else/goodluck for a week thursday!
Oh my French. Nice one there lad. Considering I didn't prepare adequately for Mathematics that 96 is alright with me. Yeah honestly by grace Add Maths was pretty simple. Did you do 11 21? How was that relative velocity question with the boat? Went down smooth with me. I think the curve for Add Maths at the post 92% was pretty flat although I don't know the specifics. Good job on French and Maths. Honestly speaking if I had a B I would have fasted for 6 months. Aiming for Mathematics / Engineering at Cambridge.

Haha same my maths preparation was 2 past papers (2&4 from 2015, the "hard"'ones) and done. Really surprised I got only a B in add maths and it made me really sad at first, but Cambridge admissions says I still stand a chance. Maybe being the best in school will help me, and the volunteering Ive been doing for over a year (in the medical field mostly). Cardiff and Ediburgh, other med schools I want to apply to, don't even recognise add maths IGCSE for medicine, which really annoys me.

For add maths I have no clue which one I did but I did have the vectors question with the boat - I even got it right, though I got rounding wrong as I didn't do 3 sig. fig. so definitely lost marks there. But my favourite one was the one with two straight lines and a curve creating this weird shape where you had to find the area - i enjoyed solving that question, haha.

Well we both think about the same uni then :wink: I like Cambridge because the med degree has a lot of pure science too, so I won't be close-minded at the end of the degree (if I get in, that is).

I probably won't fasten for 6 months since I'm already anorexic and need to gain 10kg :P Might do a November retake if the grade doesn't go up. But with IB and 4HLs I don't think it'll be worth it, since the subject is irrelevant to my degree. Sure it would make me look like a better candidate but can't complain about the A*s.

Good luck to you then man! Admission tests in a year, eh? What A-levels will you take?

Ps. If you quote my post I'll get a notification.
Original post by Mac117
Haha same my maths preparation was 2 past papers (2&4 from 2015, the "hard"'ones) and done. Really surprised I got only a B in add maths and it made me really sad at first, but Cambridge admissions says I still stand a chance. Maybe being the best in school will help me, and the volunteering Ive been doing for over a year (in the medical field mostly). Cardiff and Ediburgh, other med schools I want to apply to, don't even recognise add maths IGCSE for medicine, which really annoys me.

For add maths I have no clue which one I did but I did have the vectors question with the boat - I even got it right, though I got rounding wrong as I didn't do 3 sig. fig. so definitely lost marks there. But my favourite one was the one with two straight lines and a curve creating this weird shape where you had to find the area - i enjoyed solving that question, haha.

Well we both think about the same uni then :wink: I like Cambridge because the med degree has a lot of pure science too, so I won't be close-minded at the end of the degree (if I get in, that is).

I probably won't fasten for 6 months since I'm already anorexic and need to gain 10kg :P Might do a November retake if the grade doesn't go up. But with IB and 4HLs I don't think it'll be worth it, since the subject is irrelevant to my degree. Sure it would make me look like a better candidate but can't complain about the A*s.

Good luck to you then man! Admission tests in a year, eh? What A-levels will you take?

Ps. If you quote my post I'll get a notification.

I was considering doing IB but I didn't want to write another series of English exams so I decided not to. I have experience tutoring in math if that counts for anything :P I had mainly 4 textbooks for add maths and did most of the course on my own. Backhouse's Pure Maths 1, Understanding pure maths and a few others. I am aiming for Cambridge because I believe the system there would help me to flourish as I thrive in high competition, it has been a dream of mine since childhood and I one day want to rival Euler or Newton in mathematical proficiency. Also, two people bet one testicle of theirs each on me making it into Cambridge so I want those for some advanced experiments as well. If you are doing a rewrite I could help you out if you would like it. And I like those area questions too - pretty basic integration for like 8 marks. For A Levels I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and maybe an EPQ. I might also do Applied ICT. Yeah admissions tests and STEP for me :P. P.s. I recommend that you attempt to undertake competitions in your country relevant to your degree - I am planning on taking the BMO and BCO these next two years to beef up my application to match others. Also, in my current country of residence (Ghana), CIE arranges an awards ceremony every year so if I manage to take in a few there (hopefully by God's Grace I will), I can add those too to try and stand out.
We should continually keep in contact and try and meet up when we take admissions tests XD.

Quick Reply

Latest