The Student Room Group

Finding part-time work? The absolute basics

So I was hoping to find some part time work for whats left of the summer holidays, but before I look around I would love some advice on how to go about it. My main concerns are; how to know whether a business is hiring? How to apply, online or in person? And how to construct my CV with no prior work experience. Any helpful advice is appreciated.
At this point i'd wait for all the Christmas temp jobs... theres not enough of summer left to get a summer job.

Check all the websites of the companies you want to apply too, that'll tell you if they're hiring and if they want a CV instore or online =)
Original post by Oaiken
So I was hoping to find some part time work for whats left of the summer holidays, but before I look around I would love some advice on how to go about it. My main concerns are; how to know whether a business is hiring? How to apply, online or in person? And how to construct my CV with no prior work experience. Any helpful advice is appreciated.

have a look at Indeed.com type in your local area or the area most closest to you and any available vacancies should show up if anyone's hiring, also look online for any major retailers and go from there :smile:
Most cafés and stuff don't mind a few extra members of staff if you just go in and hand in your CV

Download 'indeed jobs' I managed to get two interviews with major retailers despite not having left school yet on there (no I didn't end up getting the jobs lol, they both liked my interview but I guess someone just as good but older applied too)
Original post by Jackieox
At this point i'd wait for all the Christmas temp jobs... theres not enough of summer left to get a summer job.

Check all the websites of the companies you want to apply too, that'll tell you if they're hiring and if they want a CV instore or online =)

Thats a grim statement:frown:

Anyway I wouldnt really recommend just going to a company's website. In my experience the jobs on the websites are usually for higher end jobs, or for jobs that are located at any far flung part of the country. Cant do no harm to check, but I strongly recommend visiting a local branch directly. They tend to advertise for general stuff on the jobcenter, indeed or hire via local agencies.
Original post by Oaiken

Id try to get some work experience tbh - you've not got a lot of time left so could be the more productive idea, plus you never know, they may offer you a job next summer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laomedeia
Thats a grim statement:frown:

It's August! By the time you've applied, they've reviewed your application, done the interview, reviewed that and made their decision it'll be basically September...

I was speaking to one of my supervisors and he said within a month the Christmas jobs will be going live on the website...
Reply 7
Wow, I'm shocked by the almost instant responses, thank you so much.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for a summer job, but I should be more than able to carry on any part-time work into the new term, as long as I can arrange to work
over the weekend or in the evenings.
I gave indeed.com a look as well, very interesting and informative. I feel that my location limits quantity and variety of jobs, since I'm quite rural, but there is still a nice selection which is encouraging.
And thank you for clearing up whether or not it's expected or acceptable to approach the local branch directly, for whatever reason I always felt like it would be imposing or seen unprofessional to do so, but I'm glad to hear that it's a common practice.
Reply 8
Hi, Indeed is a good place to find jobs in your local area, but it doesn't display them all. If you want to get a job at a certain company, for example McDonald's or Tesco, you can go on their websites as they have sections for job vacancies. All you need to do in type in your location. This is probably a good idea if you've got a few places around you that you could search up individually :smile:

There are always triangle schemes, but these aren't always good. These include Juice Plus, Forever Living, etc. If you're creative and just looking for a bit of cash, maybe you could do some paintings and sell them on Etsy or Deviant Art? Or you could make clothes and accessories to sell on Etsy.

If you don't have any previous work experience at all, it might be a good idea to see if you can volunteer anywhere for a while. If this doesn't take your fancy, just think about all of your achievements in life and talk about them on your CV. Things employers love include contributing positively to the community, teamwork and good communication skills.

If you can apply online to places in your local area then there is no reason not to, but if there are smaller places around your area that you'd like to show interest in then it doesn't hurt to hand them in your CV and ask them to contact you if any vacancies come up :smile:
Original post by Oaiken
Wow, I'm shocked by the almost instant responses, thank you so much.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for a summer job, but I should be more than able to carry on any part-time work into the new term, as long as I can arrange to work
over the weekend or in the evenings.
I gave indeed.com a look as well, very interesting and informative. I feel that my location limits quantity and variety of jobs, since I'm quite rural, but there is still a nice selection which is encouraging.
And thank you for clearing up whether or not it's expected or acceptable to approach the local branch directly, for whatever reason I always felt like it would be imposing or seen unprofessional to do so, but I'm glad to hear that it's a common practice.

is there any premier / corner shops near you? you could ask if there are any paper rounds going? I know sounds silly but its quite good pay nowadays (i get £74 - £90 per month, though you may have to sacrifice your lie ins...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending