The Student Room Group

In the biggest cross of my life so far , please do advise me

Scroll to see replies

I have decided I will go for it, drop out and do AS&A2 in one year. You can't waste your life and not go after what you desire, may it even be a mere dream. From this point on failure is not an option, I will revise unhealthily. I know that I may end up wasting 2+ years , but at least I pursued what I wanted and will have no regrets. I will keep you guys updated , thanks for all the useful advise.
Reply 21
Original post by shockwaver100
I have decided I will go for it, drop out and do AS&A2 in one year. You can't waste your life and not go after what you desire, may it even be a mere dream. From this point on failure is not an option, I will revise unhealthily. I know that I may end up wasting 2+ years , but at least I pursued what I wanted and will have no regrets. I will keep you guys updated , thanks for all the useful advise.

Presumably you already have Maths & Physics & ? . And you now plan to add Chem & Bio?

Ok. But you do have work experience already done though right? And you know all about the career structure, the day to day life of a doctor? How that varies between speciality? You haven't given us any indication that you're well researched so far.

This is not the decision to make without all the information!

Original post by 999tigger
But he would have no funding when or if he eventually got the offer. Medicine courses are amongst if not the most expensive ones and unless he was rich then nigh impossible to fund by yourself.

The NHS helps fund graduate entry. Its not too dissimilar funding wise to doing a normal degree.

He wont have wasted a years financing because they will still have the credits for the year taken.

I don't think many UK unis work on credits, especially credits that are inter-changeable among unis. If he drops out its safe to assume that's a year wasted.
Original post by nexttime

The NHS helps fund graduate entry. Its not too dissimilar funding wise to doing a normal degree.

So how much of his medicine degree will they fund? All of it?
So how much of his medicine degree will they fund? All of it?

My understanding is that the tuition fees are paid in full and that you get a maintenance loan.

I don't know much about it though. I am unsure about whether this is definitely the same amount as usual, or additional funds for low incomes etc.
Whats your understanding based on. got any links to credible sources?
I just finished my first year in mechanical engineering at university. I found the course rather easy , however along the yesr I cane to the realisation that I have no passion for this subject. I wanted to study medicine in high school, and that thirst is coming back. Iam actually desperate to study medicine. So here comes the real question is it really worth/doable at this age :19 for me to drop out of university start new A levels in bio,chem etc and get in to medicine. I just feel 19 may be to old to redo A -Levels in the hope of studying medicine. Thanks

I have an undergraduate degree offer from a top 5 uni, aged 21, having finished my a-level aged 20. So it's possible, definitely possible!
Whats your understanding based on. got any links to credible sources?

Based on here mainly. Use google.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Presumably you already have Maths & Physics & ? . And you now plan to add Chem & Bio?

I have done maths, physics and german at a level and yh will do bio and Chem plus another subject if needed. Do you guys know if I could use an EPQ level as a third a level and if it would be more recognised than day critical thinking and general studies.
Reply 29
I have done maths, physics and german at a level and yh will do bio and Chem plus another subject if needed. Do you guys know if I could use an EPQ level as a third a level and if it would be more recognised than day critical thinking and general studies.

Two full A-levels in 1 year is probably more than enough. But I'm no expert in this.

But I would caution you to reconsider GEM.
(edited 7 years ago)

You're an idiot, sorry, but you are a complete idiot. Mechanical engineering is one of the most employable and future proof degrees one can have. Sure, you may not have a 'passion', but you can clearly do it if you find the course easy.

Medicine is arguably the single most competitive university course. As a previous poster said, you could find that you take all that time to re-do your a levels and get no offer. You may find you cannot handle UKCAT. If you really want to do medicine, apply as a graduate. At least if you don't get in you'll have MechEng to fall back on.

Btw, medicine is not future proof. Technology and the internet will ultimately replace the surgeon and general practitioner. That is not the case for mechanical engineering.

Please, don't do it!

Original post by jneill
Two full A-levels in 1 year is more than enough.

I would double check that, I doubt 2 will be enough. Medical schools require the a-levels to be sat in the same two year period, so your existing a-levels probably won't count. Again, this is why you need to do proper research. Not just asking for opinions on a forum.
Reply 32
Original post by ForestCat
I would double check that, I doubt 2 will be enough. Medical schools require the a-levels to be sat in the same two year period, so your existing a-levels probably won't count. Again, this is why you need to do proper research. Not just asking for opinions on a forum.

Indeed. PRSOM.
Hello. Do you absolutely want to be a doctor? Would you say, not be as fulfilled being a Nurse ,Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist ? Something that is to do with the medical profession but will be not as challenging as Medicine and will therefore, be less challenging to be accepted onto their various courses? Just an idea. I would say unless you absolutely, utterly ONLY want to be a doctor and nothing else, to look at ALL Healthcare related professions before committing yourself fully.
Original post by nexttime
Based on here mainly. Use google.

My understanding that for a second degree there is no funding for the first 4 years and the student has to find it themselves. The NHS helps out wuth the 5th year.

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/2014/april/graduates-face-funding-woes-on-five-year-courses
My understanding that for a second degree there is no funding for the first 4 years and the student has to find it themselves. The NHS helps out wuth the 5th year.

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/2014/april/graduates-face-funding-woes-on-five-year-courses

Only if on the undergraduate course.
On gem courses, they fund £3465 of tuition fees in years 2-4. Loans for the rest. Non means tested bursary of £1000 and some means tested on top of that with reduced maintenance loans.
Year one you have to pay that 3465 yourself with tuition fees for the rest and standard maintenance loans.

This, of course, may change as nhs funding is stopping for all other healthcare degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Two full A-levels in 1 year is probably more than enough. But I'm no expert in this.

I thought GEM was much harder to get onto?
Original post by ForestCat
Only if on the undergraduate course.
On gem courses, they fund £3465 of tuition fees in years 2-4. Loans for the rest. Non means tested bursary of £1000 and some means tested on top of that with reduced maintenance loans.
Year one you have to pay that 3465 yourself with tuition fees for the rest and standard maintenance loans.

This, of course, may change as nhs funding is stopping for all other healthcare degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they have the additional issue of extra competition, which I understood was significant.
Reply 38
I thought GEM was much harder to get onto?

Yes, it's harder, but OP reckons they can get a 1st so that will help. And if they are unsuccessful they will still have a valuable degree behind them.

Nope. That's not GEM.

For GEM you just self-fund to the tune of £3465 towards 1st year only.

e.g. Warwick explains it like this:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/funding/fundingyourstudies/medics2016/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jambojim97
You're an idiot, sorry, but you are a complete idiot. Mechanical engineering is one of the most employable and future proof degrees one can have. Sure, you may not have a 'passion', but you can clearly do it if you find the course easy.

Medicine is arguably the single most competitive university course. As a previous poster said, you could find that you take all that time to re-do your a levels and get no offer. You may find you cannot handle UKCAT. If you really want to do medicine, apply as a graduate. At least if you don't get in you'll have MechEng to fall back on.

Btw, medicine is not future proof. Technology and the internet will ultimately replace the surgeon and general practitioner. That is not the case for mechanical engineering.

Please, don't do it!

Dont think hes being an idioy at all. If hes decided he knows what he wants to do and is aware of the risks, then he should go for it imo. Whats the point of doing a degree he bo longer has an interest in?

Medicine might be competitive, but thats where he has to back himself.

Quick Reply

Latest