The Student Room Group

F1: Is this a good locum rate?

I am a new FY1 and my rota had one too many weekends on it for me to be 1B banded so instead of putting me on 1A band, I have been told I can choose to take that weekend off, and they will get an internal locum to cover it, or I can cover it myself for £29/hour.

Is that a good rate? I am not only thinking about the money. I think it will be good experience and someone has to work that weekend anyway but at the same time I don't want to be shortchanged or taken advantage of.

I would love the weekend off but at the same time the money would be very handy.

How does locum pay get taxed? Is it 20%?

Would appreciate input.
The one and only locum shift I did as an F1 was £10/hr...
Reply 2
It is standard rate for internal locum. It depends ho much you value free time vs additional experience. F If they struggle to cover it you may be able to negotiate a higher rate.*

Original post by girl_in_black
The one and only locum shift I did as an F1 was £10/hr...

Was that many moons ago or is your Trust really taking a piss? I was getting more as a HCA (couple of years ago). *
Original post by belis
It is standard rate for internal locum. It depends ho much you value free time vs additional experience. F If they struggle to cover it you may be able to negotiate a higher rate.*

Was that many moons ago or is your Trust really taking a piss? I was getting more as a HCA (couple of years ago). *

It was last year. I did the shift short notice to help out a colleague and was told I would get locum rate. That's how much I got. Needless to say, I have refused to do any "locum" shifts since...
Our F1s get 25, they can get 30 if the hospital are desperate.
Having already worked a full week, I wouldn't get out of bed for less than £35-40/hr. And even then it would depend on the shift type. Weekend ward cover is a whole other kettle of fish.

At the end of the day, staffing is not my problem. I have no good will left for the people who treat me with contempt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by girl_in_black
It was last year. I did the shift short notice to help out a colleague and was told I would get locum rate. That's how much I got. Needless to say, I have refused to do any "locum" shifts since...

Modern slavery comes to mind. Was that at least after tax? If before this is seriously outrageous. I can only hope it was some kind of mistake.*
Reply 7
Any idea what the rate is for locum SHO now? Specifically for the locum appointment for service (LAS) jobs at FY2 level. I'm assuming I won't get internal rates because I won't have a full-time job in a trust coming as a graduate from the EU. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by asif007
Any idea what the rate is for locum SHO now? Specifically for the locum appointment for service (LAS) jobs at FY2 level. I'm assuming I won't get internal rates because I won't have a full-time job in a trust coming as a graduate from the EU. :s-smilie:

A full time LAS will likely get a salary based on the standard FY2 rate (there may be adjustments for years of NHS service), rather than an hourly locum rate.
Reply 9
Original post by Helenia
A full time LAS will likely get a salary based on the standard FY2 rate (there may be adjustments for years of NHS service), rather than an hourly locum rate.

I thought the 1-year full time FY2 positions were all LAT? Is there a such thing as a 1-year LAS?

If I was taking up temp LAS jobs I assumed that would be hourly. But I have no idea how this all works. :s-smilie:
asif007
I thought the 1-year full time FY2 positions were all LAT? Is there a such thing as a 1-year LAS?

If I was taking up temp LAS jobs I assumed that would be hourly. But I have no idea how this all works.

I don't honestly know, as it's not an avenue I've ever explored, but I would expect that if it's any kind of employment beyond a few days, you would be employed on a pro-rata salary basis rather than an hourly rate. The latter is really only for covering random shifts here and there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Several years ago now, I did 8 months of FY1 LAS, and was paid at exactly the same rate as the other FY1s including same banding and everything (I did the same on calls on the same rota etc). *I don't think FY1 LAS is a thing now, but I would assume that exactly the same would apply for FY2 LAS.
I got paid more than that to do an F1 locum shift at the weekend that was covering my own job...
Original post by asif007

If I was taking up temp LAS jobs I assumed that would be hourly. But I have no idea how this all works. :s-smilie:

It depends on the contract length, generally. The longer the period worked the more in line with training role salary the locum rates are. Obviously depends on demand and need etc

I think when I was an fy1 several years ago the rate was 25/h. There was significantly less requirement for locums 5-6 years ago than now however.
Hi all I work for a locum agency any questions regarding rates or anything to do with locum work I'll be happy to help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending