The Student Room Group

Camouflage clothing but not in military?

My dream when I was a kid was to be in the army. For many reasons I never accomplished that dream. But I still think about it a lot and like showing support for my country's armed forces. I bought a camouflage jacket today from a surplus store but looking in the mirror makes me wonder what other people think of someone wearing such a jacket if they're not actually in the army?

I'm very overweight and have a mohawk so needless to say I don't think people are going to think I'm actually in the army. But I wanted people's opinions on what they'd think of someone dressed like that? :smile:
You ever been to a festival for teens? They love those camo jackets with the German flag in the arm.

You'll be fine as long as the jacket doesn't have a rank/unit insignia on it that would actually suggest you were a serving member

I sometimes wear my IDF uniform out and about
Reply 2
Original post by TelAviv
You ever been to a festival for teens? They love those camo jackets with the German flag in the arm.

You'll be fine as long as the jacket doesn't have a rank/unit insignia on it that would actually suggest you were a serving member

I sometimes wear my IDF uniform out and about

Nope, no rank or anything. No German flag either :tongue: Thanks for your feedback.

You were in the IDF? Nice one, buddy! :five: You should wear it proudly. :smile:
sounds like the Travis Bickle signature look, is that what you're going for?
Original post by Sabertooth
My dream when I was a kid was to be in the army. For many reasons I never accomplished that dream. But I still think about it a lot and like showing support for my country's armed forces. I bought a camouflage jacket today from a surplus store but looking in the mirror makes me wonder what other people think of someone wearing such a jacket if they're not actually in the army?

I'm very overweight and have a mohawk so needless to say I don't think people are going to think I'm actually in the army. But I wanted people's opinions on what they'd think of someone dressed like that? :smile:

I'm very much into the military as well and I used to wear camo jackets - a lot. I never got any stick for it, I thought I looked quite cool in combat boots, jeans, camo jacket and a crew cut. I still wear the camo jackets in the winter and for work, although I bought this amazing hunting camo jacket in America which I love, I wear that whenever it's very cold, it's literally the warmest thing I've ever owned.

I've even bought novelty/flag/unit patches and worn them, they look good :smile:

What camo pattern did you get? British DPM? German Flecktarn?

Original post by TelAviv

I have those German camo jackets and smocks, they're actually German army surplus Flecktarn camo, I think they're popular because it looks like a mellow camo pattern and not well known like the British DPM and American woodland, but the jackets are very cheap and available everywhere, from charity shops to Amazon. The jacket with liner I've found to be pretty comfy and warm :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by DMcGovern
I'm very much into the military as well and I used to wear camo jackets - a lot. I never got any stick for it, I thought I looked quite cool in combat boots, jeans, camo jacket and a crew cut. I still wear the camo jackets in the winter and for work, although I bought this amazing hunting camo jacket in America which I love, I wear that whenever it's very cold, it's literally the warmest thing I've ever owned.

I've even bought novelty/flag/unit patches and worn them, they look good :smile:

What camo pattern did you get? British DPM? German Flecktarn?

Thanks for the reply! :biggrin:

I also wear combat boots. I have Meindl desert fox boots for the spring and fall and Magnum stealth force boots for the winter. I'm a little obsessed! :colondollar:

I got British DPM. I actually live in the US so I wanted something that would further distance me from looking like I'm actually in the military - plus I have 3 uncles who served in the British army so there is some connection there. :smile: I live in a southern state where there's a lot of hunting so quite a few people in my classes wear hunting jackets in the winter - I really like that pattern and I did look into possibly getting it but in the end settled for the British camo. And yeah, some of those hunting jackets are incredibly warm, I knew a guy who had one when I lived in a colder state - he'd be toasty in -30C. :tongue:

I also wear combat boots. I have Meindl desert fox boots for the spring and fall and Magnum stealth force boots for the winter. I'm a little obsessed! :colondollar:

I got British DPM. I actually live in the US so I wanted something that would further distance me from looking like I'm actually in the military - plus I have 3 uncles who served in the British army so there is some connection there. :smile: I live in a southern state where there's a lot of hunting so quite a few people in my classes wear hunting jackets in the winter - I really like that pattern and I did look into possibly getting it but in the end settled for the British camo. And yeah, some of those hunting jackets are incredibly warm, I knew a guy who had one when I lived in a colder state - he'd be toasty in -30C. :tongue:

Can't go wrong with British DPM, when my brother got back from Afghanistan he would wear his DPM jacket when he went to work at a construction site. Suits him just fine! Especially in winter.
Reply 7
Original post by Harold Godwinson
Can't go wrong with British DPM, when my brother got back from Afghanistan he would wear his DPM jacket when he went to work at a construction site. Suits him just fine! Especially in winter.

That's really cool. Though I bet he can back up his awesome jacket with all kinds of stories. :tongue:
That's really cool. Though I bet he can back up his awesome jacket with all kinds of stories. :tongue:

Oh, mate you wouldn't believe! Some he will share with me and some stories are a little too much to relieve. But overall he is proud of his service, we all are. Myself and him would chat about his stories when he would give me a lift to college.
Reply 9
Oh, mate you wouldn't believe! Some he will share with me and some stories are a little too much to relieve. But overall he is proud of his service, we all are. Myself and him would chat about his stories when he would give me a lift to college.

That's really great! :smile:

I love talking to my uncles at family gatherings about what they did, though it always makes me wish even more that I could have joined up too. :sad: Sadly both my grandfathers died before I could speak to them about their experiences in WW2.
That's really great! :smile:

I love talking to my uncles at family gatherings about what they did, though it always makes me wish even more that I could have joined up too. :sad: Sadly both my grandfathers died before I could speak to them about their experiences in WW2.

Shame about your grandfathers, mine kicked the bucket when I was 1 year old, and I wasn't much of a talker then lol! My dad knows roughly what he did so alls well! The funny thing is I've spent the last 6 months getting fit to join myself, I'm probably going British army, or Royal Navy most likely army though. **** I'm in shape now, it's all about preparation, that's what my brother says.
Shame about your grandfathers, mine kicked the bucket when I was 1 year old, and I wasn't much of a talker then lol! My dad knows roughly what he did so alls well! The funny thing is I've spent the last 6 months getting fit to join myself, I'm probably going British army, or Royal Navy most likely army though. **** I'm in shape now, it's all about preparation, that's what my brother says.

Yeah, same. My grandmothers sometimes tell me about them but they're both getting on a bit now too.

Are you at uni/school? (just saw, you said college) I'm pretty jealous tbh :tongue: When I was 15 I looked into and worked towards all the requirements for the army and thought maybe if I could surpass them all by a lot then they might change the rules. Of course I was just being a stupid kid. :sigh: And yes, I think your brother is right, my uncles told me it's not just being fit enough, you need to be mentally prepared too - they said some of the fittest guys don't make it because they lack the mentality. But best of luck with that, buddy. I hope you manage to achieve your dream.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, same. My grandmothers sometimes tell me about them but they're both getting on a bit now too.

Are you at uni/school? (just saw, you said college) I'm pretty jealous tbh :tongue: When I was 15 I looked into and worked towards all the requirements for the army and thought maybe if I could surpass them all by a lot then they might change the rules. Of course I was just being a stupid kid. :sigh: And yes, I think your brother is right, my uncles told me it's not just being fit enough, you need to be mentally prepared too - they said some of the fittest guys don't make it because they lack the mentality. But best of luck with that, buddy. I hope you manage to achieve your dream.

It more of what I'm good at and the mind set I have more then a dream. I like to keep my expectations in check, that's how you don't become undone in the future. Anyway sorry to hear you couldn't join mate. Right now I just turned 18 I am more or less prepared now both in body and mind, let's hope the recruitment officers think so too. Before I go off I just want to do some things I want to do now, before I leave. You know parties, having a laugh with mates and getting in with girls of course! Me and my brother both think the next major engagement will be Syria, fighting IS.

No problem! :biggrin:

Yeah I've got Lowa Combat GTX boots for the winter, probably the comfiest boots I've ever had, and made in Germany. I think I'm a bit obsessed too, I've two German flecktarn jackets, one British DPM jacket, a fairly rare Swiss red camo jacket and a load of others :colondollar:

Definitely, the hunting jackets in America are amazing, I love Bass Pro Shops and all their brands, I wish they had them over here! :h:
Most ex-military won't ever want to wear the kit they used when they were in. A lot of it now is cheap stuff made in China. There is much better quality civilian clothing available but if you want to go around in DPM then go ahead, no-one will give it a second thought.

I've actually got quite a bit of green kit from my time in the army which I'll probably end up putting on eBay unless I can find a CCF/cadet unit who can make use of it.

Quick Reply

Latest