The Student Room Group

AS & A Level Sociology?

Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of taking AS and A2 sociology in the same year together - would it be harder in terms of the A2 syllabus drawing on things from the AS syllabus?
Other info on the subject would be great too!

It's just that I need three A levels for university but have decided to drop an AS subject (that I originally planned on continuing through).

Thanks in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you just finished GCSEs? If you have I would not recommend that at all. A2 sociology is a massive challenge on its own without the added stress of AS. Don't expect very high grades. Saying that you may be very academically able but it's still a massive risk due to the volume there is to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by deano321
Have you just finished GCSEs? If you have I would not recommend that at all. A2 sociology is a massive challenge on its own without the added stress of AS. Don't expect very high grades. Saying that you may be very academically able but it's still a massive risk due to the volume there is to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying - I am currently doing my AS subjects but am planning for next year. I'm thinking of doing two A2 subjects (three including sociology) and the AS sociology.

Could you tell me more about what there is to learn at A2? I believe my school is going to do education, religion and either media or global development?

Thank you!
Hi, I'm about to start A2 Sociology. Did you take it at GCSE? A lot of my friends say that the new AS spec is very very similar to what they learnt at GCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by LanaDelReys
Hi, I'm about to start A2 Sociology. Did you take it at GCSE? A lot of my friends say that the new AS spec is very very similar to what they learnt at GCSE.

Hey thanks for the input! I didn't take it at GCSE as my school has only started offering sociology this year.
Is AS sociology a lot of memorisation?
I'm thinking of doing a bit of reading for AS before school starts up again.
Original post by lumos16
Hey everyone,
I'm thinking of taking AS and A2 sociology in the same year together - would it be harder in terms of the A2 syllabus drawing on things from the AS syllabus?
Other info on the subject would be great too!

It's just that I need three A levels for university but have decided to drop an AS subject (that I originally planned on continuing through).

Thanks in advance!

There isn't any point of doing AS Sociology as it doesn't count towards A2 (if this is the new system). You'd just do A2 Sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest