The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agahaga
Ukcat on Monday and just got 470 on recent verbal reasoning ffs, how can I get this up to atleast 600 in 2 days??? Pls help x

do you have medify, if so use their learn tab and do some practice questions and try and come up with a technique to scan passages quickly and effectively. I'm afraid i cant tell you what to do because everyone has their own way of tackling VR. the way i do it is read the question and quickly scan passage for keywords for t/f/ct questions and for comprehension read the questions make my best guess and quickly check against the passage to see if it is right.
Original post by JayP454
Im on the same boat more or less, in practices i do really well and within required timing but in the mocks it just isn't the same, where sometimes I just do really bad :/ i want to believe that it doesn't reflect my effort and accuracy in the practices but it's supposed to mimick the time pressures of the real thing and the general feeling of doing the actual test. So i don't know if im prepared or not given that the ukcat test is next week tuesday :frown:((

That's my issue too XD I think it's just the time pressure/ panic for me. I think with more mocks that'll become less of an issue. Don't forget that QR is supposed to be quite nice this year so that'll inflate your average too!
Original post by scottishmum
VR - 500
QR - 670
AR - 610
SJ - Band 2

My daughter sat this test and is now worried about her result :frown:

She has 5 A's and 1C - Nat 5 level
4 A'S and 1B - Highers
Studying this year - 3 advanced highers

Any advice greatly appreciated.

She studied for a month and worked from two books and practice tests.

Has she considered sitting the BMAT? This will open her up to universities that won't take the UKCAT into consideration and that instead. She should aim to apply to universities that don't look solely at the UKCAT or don't have a specific cut off score.
Original post by KyleT1
Sat mine yesterday: Average 760 / band 2

VR: 610:colondollar:
QR: 770
AR: 900

Scored 680 last year, my 2 cents are:
- gobble up all the questions you can
- you can't over prepare

I have just under 3 weeks of Medify left - PM me for a bargain :h:

Well done :smile: im so worried about VR as my other scores are never good enough to bring it up if its as hard as everyone says, i am practicing a lot of comprehension questions but are the questiosn really hard inferences from the whole text with no key words? :frown:
Original post by fizzywaterbottle
Hey guys,
So my UKCAT was suppose to be on Wednesday but after doing horrendously in the first mock on the UKCAT website (I got 513 and I'm still shocked). I don't understand though, I was doing alright in the medify mocks (around 700ish). I found the UKCAT mock questions 10x harder (especially QR) and I ran out of time badly in all the sections. So I need a new game plan. My new test is booked for the 9th of September (2 days after my school opens - have I made a mistake my rescheduling?)

Also I'm stressed about when I should have my personal statement written by. I feel like I've messed everything up now by doing my test so much later. I need all the advice I can get!

You should have just sat the test, the UKCAT mocks are unrepresentative, if u got 700 in medify u would have been fine cuz in my first medify i got 643... but then again i didnt have my techniques down by this point.
My test is on Monday, and I have no words to explain how I feel. I think I over-prepared, because I practised for a month and a half with Medify and the official UKCAT mocks. Did surprisingly well on the UKCAT Mock C. The AR in the mocks is just so bad :frown: I couldn't identify half the patterns! In fact, I was seeing patterns that weren't even there! Gosh, pray for me, guys :biggrin: :colondollar:
Original post by clairebear101
You should have just sat the test, the UKCAT mocks are unrepresentative, if u got 700 in medify u would have been fine cuz in my first medify i got 643... but then again i didnt have my techniques down by this point.

What are your techniques
Hey guys I'm using isc1000q book and will later use medify for revision. I've heard a lot of people say understand the technique before using time constraints so when did people actually start timing themselves in their revision. Thanks!:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know where I could find some more free mocks? I had done the official ones couple of times and the medify ones but rescheduled so now I don't have any to practise from to see where I'm at.
Attachment not found
What percentage of VR questions would you say are of this nature and difficulty this year? Thanks in advance x
Original post by raniafern
My test is on Monday, and I have no words to explain how I feel. I think I over-prepared, because I practised for a month and a half with Medify and the official UKCAT mocks. Did surprisingly well on the UKCAT Mock C. The AR in the mocks is just so bad :frown: I couldn't identify half the patterns! In fact, I was seeing patterns that weren't even there! Gosh, pray for me, guys :biggrin: :colondollar:

I would say that QR in Mock C is quite similar to the real thing. I got a few easy questions and also a few time-consuming and worth skipping ones. First of all, don't stress out (I know it's easier to say, but it really makes a difference if you try to stay calm). You shouldn't be so stressed since you've done a lot of practice :smile:

As for AR, I almost cried my eyes out after sitting Mock C (by the time I had done loads of practice questions and I considered it my strong section). In my opinion, AR wasn't that complicated, some patterns were hard to spot, but a reasonable approach (being aware of time pressure and making use of flagging) helps a lot. When the section began I didn't manage to find 3 or 4 patterns (quite a lot of questions) but being strict with the timing allowed me to come back to those questions and find at least partial pattern.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll do great :smile:
Original post by clairebear101

I agree. I did my UKCAT last year and was getting 400s in the MEDIFY mock and got 757.5 in the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noslomai
Sat my UKCAT today.
VR passages seemed a bit longer than the ones in the official practice tests. I am a horribly slow reader so despite trying to answer in 30-40 seconds I ended up guessing A LOT. I should say English is not my first language so probably my impression isn't solely based on the difficulty of the questions. I didn't read the passage, just tried scanning for keywords but it was more difficult than when I was preparing for the test.

As for QR, it is easier than the official practice questions but there are quite a few time-consuming questions which are impossible to answer in under 1 minute so be wise and don't be scared to guess, flag and move on. The questions were usually straightforward, requiring basic calculations. In my opinion I guessed a lot of questions and still got a decent score. I didn't understand a few sets of questions and tried to make an educated guess. I cannot lie that I feel a bit disillusioned with the scoring because I really feel like I don't deserve my QR score since I had to guess many questions.

AR was very similar to the official questions. I think flagging and skipping is also essential in this section because at the second attempt there is a chance that you will spot the pattern quicker. I tried to stick to the 40-50 seconds per set and it saved me. Because of the fact that there were a few easier questions ahead I managed to return to the flagged ones and managed to find all the patterns I couldn't see first.

STJ was also very similar. The scenarios were longer than on Medify but less wishy-washy (in my opinion). Reading GMC "Good Medical Practice" a few times as well as reading the clinical cases (http://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/) they provide on their website was both fun and helpful during the preparation.

My scores:
VR 590 :frown:
QR 780
AR 880
STJ Band 1

I'm worried about my VR score. Will it negatively affect my application? I wanted to apply to Edinburgh so much and now I'm not so sure since their reqiurements are so high each year :frown:

Why did u have to guess a lot in QR, was it hard?
how did u all find UKCAT official mock A?
Hi,
Does anyone have Kaplan online that they are no longer using? PM me :smile:
Original post by ronnydandam
how did u all find UKCAT official mock A?

My 5/36 on QR says it all really:frown:
Original post by lmarrable
My 5/36 on QR says it all really:frown:

damn, how did you do in the other two sections?
Original post by ronnydandam
damn, how did you do in the other two sections?

VR: 24/44
AR: 25/55

These are tragically my best scores atm :redface:
Original post by mliela
I agree. I did my UKCAT last year and was getting 400s in the MEDIFY mock and got 757.5 in the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you practise more questions instead of doing mocks or continued to do more mocks from medify? A couple of my recent medify mock results are crushing my confidence
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi thanks for your response. My daughter will be applying to Scottish universities. What is Bmat?Will this help with Scottish universities? Many thanks 😃

Original post by studentsixth
Has she considered sitting the BMAT? This will open her up to universities that won't take the UKCAT into consideration and that instead. She should aim to apply to universities that don't look solely at the UKCAT or don't have a specific cut off score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending