The Student Room Group

In the biggest cross of my life so far , please do advise me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Yes, it's harder, but OP reckons they can get a 1st so that will help. And if they are unsuccessful they will still have a valuable degree behind them.

Nope. That's not GEM.

For GEM you just self-fund to the tune of £3465 towards 1st year only.

e.g. Warwick explains it like this:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/funding/fundingyourstudies/medics2016/

So how many years is he looking at via A levels and how many via GEM?
Can he do without the science A levels on GEM?
Original post by 999tigger
But they have the additional issue of extra competition, which I understood was significant.

Yes but like we've pointed out they will have a back up degree to get into the job market properly and earn money.

Dropping out now is incredibly risky. Are they going to do the a levels full time or self study. Who will fund it? Can they live at home or do they need to move out and support themselves? Have they got any experience that will allow them to get a job?

What happens if they get AAB? Or worse? They'll end up having to do a degree for gem anyway. But with an extra year of debt and get on to medicine several more years down the line?
What happens if they don't get a place? How many years will they reapply? How many years will they spend doing low paid jobs because their only qualifications are a levels.

If the OP hadn't already completed a year of uni, the advice would be different. But they made their choice and their best option now is to finish the degree. If it's as easy as they say, they shouldn't struggle to get at least a 2:1.

I wish it was just as simple as follow your dreams. But it really isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
So how many years is he looking at via A levels and how many via GEM?
Can he do without the science A levels on GEM?

For Warwick, the BEng is sufficient (2:1 or better), additional A-levels are not required. Other MedSchools may be different. OP needs to do his research...
Original post by ForestCat
Yes but like we've pointed out they will have a back up degree to get into the job market properly and earn money.

Dropping out now is incredibly risky. Are they going to do the a levels full time or self study. Who will fund it? Can they live at home or do they need to move out and support themselves? Have they got any experience that will allow them to get a job?

What happens if they get AAB? Or worse? They'll end up having to do a degree for gem anyway. But with an extra year of debt and get on to medicine several more years down the line?
What happens if they don't get a place? How many years will they reapply? How many years will they spend doing low paid jobs because their only qualifications are a levels.

If the OP hadn't already completed a year of uni, the advice would be different. But they made their choice and their best option now is to finish the degree. If it's as easy as they say, they shouldn't struggle to get at least a 2:1.

I wish it was just as simple as follow your dreams. But it really isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ofc OP will have to answer those questions about how to pay for his A levels, but it may just be as easy as living at home.

I was also getting the impression , although OP can answer that he was very clever so getting the A levels wouldnt be a problem.

I thought the point was he would be going for medicine as an undergraduate and wouldnt need a degree?

What happens if he doesnt get a place? Then he reapplies, but he is backing himself to do what it takes.

The OP needs to do his research and make an objective assessment about the risks and his realistic chances/ abiliyu to meet the targets and do what it takes.

I asked previously if he completed the Engineering degree, but went via GEM, then what would he do about not having A level Chemistry and Biology?
Original post by jneill
For Warwick, the BEng is sufficient (2:1 or better), additional A-levels are not required. Other MedSchools may be different. OP needs to do his research...

Any idea how many med schools dont require additional A levels?

Obviously I agree about him doing his research.
Reply 45
Any idea how many med schools dont require additional A levels?

No.

I googled. Try it - it's fun.
Medicine might be competitive, but thats where he has to back himself.

"Backing himself" is not going to put bread on the table.
Guys continuing with mechanical engineering would put me on 21k+ debt. I have phoned up some universities which offer a fully NHS funded radiography course, and I have been told I'm eligible for the course to start this coming September. Would it not be more sensible to enter this course save up my maintenance grants, possible work during the three years to get extra money and take out a maintance loan for each year of the course which is not too large. I do also live at home in London which would save me a lot of money. The course would also give me invaluable experience in a hospital environment ,furthermore I could study A level bio/chem in the three years. Finally one of the biggest advantages is that this course is considered a life science by many universities which would enable me to apply to more graduate entry medicine programs. Please give your opinion on this.
Reply 48
Original post by shockwaver100
Guys continuing with mechanical engineering would put me on 21k+ debt. I have phoned up some universities which offer a fully NHS funded radiography course, and I have been told I'm eligible for the course to start this coming September. Would it not be more sensible to enter this course save up my maintenance grants, possible work during the three years to get extra money and take out a maintance loan for each year of the course which is not too large. I do also live at home in London which would save me a lot of money. The course would also give me invaluable experience in a hospital environment ,furthermore I could study A level bio/chem in the three years. Finally one of the biggest advantages is that this course is considered a life science by many universities which would enable me to apply to more graduate entry medicine programs. Please give your opinion on this.

Are you sure you don't need Biology A-level for Radiography?

You can apply to GEM at Warwick (or Nottingham) with a MechEng degree without needing Bio or Chem A-level. And possibly other MedSchools too.

e.g. Nottingham
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-bmbs.aspx

The 21k debt should not be a factor really. It doesn't increase your monthly repayments, just the time it takes to repay the total loan. And if necessary the loan will be written off after 30 years anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by shockwaver100
I just finished my first year in mechanical engineering at university. I found the course rather easy , however along the yesr I cane to the realisation that I have no passion for this subject. I wanted to study medicine in high school, and that thirst is coming back. Iam actually desperate to study medicine. So here comes the real question is it really worth/doable at this age :19 for me to drop out of university start new A levels in bio,chem etc and get in to medicine. I just feel 19 may be to old to redo A -Levels in the hope of studying medicine. Thanks

I originally went to university to study mechanical engineering too, but like you, I didn't enjoy it, but still at that time I didn't know I wanted to go into medicine. Instead I jsut transfered to genetics. Fast forward acouple years after graduating, I realised I wanted to do medicine, so here I am.

Unfortunately becuase you're already on a course, medical schools tend to look poorly on people that drop out of their courses at university (maybe something to do with lack of planning and or no perserverance/resiliance). So your only real choice is to gradute and apply as a graduate.

And while you haven't got a life sciency degree that some GEP courses require, you still haev options, one of the people on my course also studied mechanical engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending