The Student Room Group

Refracting Telescopes

Hello,
Please could I have some help with refraction and telescopes and lenses please- all part of P1.
Thanks a lot :smile:
I can explain the principle, if you want. Here is a picture to understand.

The objective has a collecting lens, where the parallel light rays are refracting, so they hit each other in a common point, the focus (focal point). The distance between the collecting lense and the focus is the focal length. The same goes for the eyepiece lense too (it is a collecting lense as well). So both lenses have a common focal point, where the image can be observed. As the refracting telescope has a long focal length, it is able to get images which have a long distance to this telescope (so called tele-focal point).*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
I can explain the principle, if you want. Here is a picture] to understand.

The objective has a collecting lens, where the parallel light rays are refracting, so they hit each other in a common point, the focus (focal point). The distance between the collecting lense and the focus is the focal length. The same goes for the eyepiece lense too (it is a collecting lense as well). So both lenses have a common focal point, where the image can be observed. As the refracting telescope has a *long focal length, it is able to get images which have a long distance to this telescope (so called tele-focal point).*

Thank you, this helps a lot, although the link doesn't seem to be working.
Original post by esha20x
Thank you, this helps a lot, although the link doesn't seem to be working.

It works. Have just made mistakes to embed the link. The problem is solved, the link has to be worked now.*

Quick Reply

Latest