The Student Room Group

Are agnostics half-assed atheists?

Scroll to see replies

Half assed atheist or half assed believer? Is the glass half full or half empty?

They just use their common sense that there's no point bickering over the exact nature of a god that clearly doesn't want to contact us for whatever reason, if one exists at all. If he doesn't contact us then that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or does exist... It just means we don't know.

Atheists on t'other hand take that silence as showing that there is no god..
Agnostics believe that we cannot know whether God exists or not.
Atheists believe there is no God.
Well being agnostic makes the most sense since you can't really ever rule anything out. imo, it isn't impossible for a god/gods to exist, it's just extremely unlikely given what we know.
That 0.00000000000.......01% chance keeps me agnostic instead of atheist.
Reply 4
The majority of people who are atheist are agnostic atheist; that is they do not believe in any deity because there is no proof, but if they were presented with proof, they would believe. It is not necessarily a scale of atheist-agnostic-theist, I think agnosticism is more to do with knowledge and atheism/theism to do with belief.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The majority of people who are atheist are agnostic atheist; that is they do not believe in any deity because there is no proof, but if they were presented with proof, they would believe. It is not necessarily a scale of atheist-agnostic-theist, I think agnosticism is more to do with knowledge and atheism/theism to do with belief.

I'm sure if most people who would see definite proof in god they wouldn't deny it just cause they're atheist.
Original post by Light is Justice

Wrong way around.

I'd argue that atheists are agnostics in denial.
Most Atheists are technically Agnostic as if God Actually came down and did some cool magic stuff I would believe in him, but most people think agnostic is like 50/50 on believing but at the moment I am Like 9999Reccuring %
sure he does not exist
Original post by lucabrasi98
Wrong way around.

I'd argue that atheists are agnostics in denial.

I think most modern atheist regard current religion as fictional
Agnostics heavily rely on the philosophical idea that if something can not be 100% disproved, no matter how unlikely, there is still a minimal chance of something existing. Even if they are 99.9999999999999% sure that God does not exist.

I actually believe that some agnostics are agnostics just in case that god is actually real, so they can say "I never said you didnt exist" at the pearly gates.

To answer your question: Atheists and agnostics are closely related, and as @13 1 20 8 42 said they're often interchangeable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm sure if most people who would see definite proof in god they wouldn't deny it just cause they're atheist.

Well exactly, so the position of pure atheism, rather than agnostic atheism, is a pretty odd one, and if I've got my definitions straight then the vast majority who call themselves atheists are agnostic atheists.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well exactly, so the position of pure atheism, rather than agnostic atheism, is a pretty odd one, and if I've got my definitions straight then the vast majority who call themselves atheists are agnostic atheists.

But you can still have a viewpoint that a God doesn't exist not that you would deny the evidence
I would say the ones who "believe" there's a 99% chance that God doesn't exist are gnostic atheist. A simple agnostic would be around 50% and agnostic athiests maybe 80ish.

People like Richard Dawkins seem to be gnostic.
But you can still have a viewpoint that a God doesn't exist not that you would deny the evidence

That would essentially be an agnostic atheist: one who doesn't believe God exists, but would be willing to change their mind in the face of convincing evidence.
I'm agnostic, my thinking more or less is if we're dealing with some sort of concept that's meant to exist outside of the known universe we can't pretend to be certain one way or the other.

Last time I criticised the "agnostic-atheist" term I got told off. I don't get it either. :dontknow:

Original post by Galaxie501

I actually believe that some agnostics are agnostics just in case that god is actually real, so they can say "I never said you didnt exist" at the pearly gates.

That viewpoint is useless. Sure, if he actually does exist you're able to say that but in the end being agnostic you didn't make any assumptions about God's nature or moral rules either so chances are saying that to God won't help you as you've gone up to the gates as some form of filthy sinner.
I dont think agnostcism makes a lot of sense.Sure you cant rule out Gods existence.But I also cant rule out the existence of any number of mytholgical creatures.I cant rule out that fairies or purple unicorns or Odin exist but for all intents and purposes you may as well just say they dont exist.Otherwise you could never say anything doesnt exist.
Reply 16
Agnostics are basically confused people
Original post by Retired_Messiah

That viewpoint is useless. Sure, if he actually does exist you're able to say that but in the end being agnostic you didn't make any assumptions about God's nature or moral rules either so chances are saying that to God won't help you as you've gone up to the gates as some form of filthy sinner.

Good thing we've got champs like you to determine what is and isnt useless.
Original post by Galaxie501
Good thing we've got champs like you to determine what is and isnt useless.

Yep :biggrin:
Original post by 1010marina
Half assed atheist or half assed believer? Is the glass half full or half empty?

They just use their common sense that there's no point bickering over the exact nature of a god that clearly doesn't want to contact us for whatever reason, if one exists at all. If he doesn't contact us then that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or does exist... It just means we don't know.

Atheists on t'other hand take that silence as showing that there is no god..

This really.

Both sides can supposedly provide irrefutable evidence that a God does/does not exist, and they can't both be right. It's simply not possible to prove or refute the existence of a God with what evidence we currently have. You've got three options; 1) Put your faith in the (what you believe to be) fact that a God does exist; 2) Refuse to believe until you see or hear God for yourself; or 3) Acknowledge that a God may exist, but then just as likely might not. I personally choose the latter, as I'm open-minded enough to see how the conclusion could be sensibly drawn that a God exists, yet I need to see concrete evidence before I take something as fact.

Quick Reply

Latest