The Student Room Group

Equine EMS- what to expect?

Im about to start an EMS placement at a large riding school and I'm not sure what to expect because I've never worked with horses or horsey people before (they are aware of this), apart from our handling sessions at the Vet School. I can put a bridle and saddle on, and we've learnt about horse behaviour and the basic dos/donts in terms of handling. Im very nervous- the lady I spoke to in charge of horses at the Vet School said to expect to be shouted at and that I'd have to develop a tough skin because "horse people" can be very critical. She said to expect for people to be annoyed when you ask them for help but not to take it personally? I've done lots of farm animal work and never experienced any problems with farmers- does anyone have any tips for having a good riding school placement ? And the general dos/donts and etiquette of working at a riding school? Sorry to sound so clueless- I've never even ridden a horse and I'm not sure about rules/customs etc in the horse world....
Original post by LilyElise
Im about to start an EMS placement at a large riding school and I'm not sure what to expect because I've never worked with horses or horsey people before (they are aware of this), apart from our handling sessions at the Vet School. I can put a bridle and saddle on, and we've learnt about horse behaviour and the basic dos/donts in terms of handling. Im very nervous- the lady I spoke to in charge of horses at the Vet School said to expect to be shouted at and that I'd have to develop a tough skin because "horse people" can be very critical. She said to expect for people to be annoyed when you ask them for help but not to take it personally? I've done lots of farm animal work and never experienced any problems with farmers- does anyone have any tips for having a good riding school placement ? And the general dos/donts and etiquette of working at a riding school? Sorry to sound so clueless- I've never even ridden a horse and I'm not sure about rules/customs etc in the horse world....

Hey expect to do lots of brushing the yard, mucking out stables and poo picking fields. Some riding schools will expect you to help out on lessons such as with beginners leading the horses or setting out jumps for more advanced. You'll also be expected to help get the horses ready for the lessons. But if you're unsure just ask its summer so there will probably be lots of eager kiddies helping out over their summer holiday so you can always turn to them for help. If on your first day they expect you to lead a horse with a beginner rider on it perhaps ask if you could possibly lead with someone else or watch for one lesson to see what you have to do. If they decline then i'd probably ask if its possible to lead a horse which either has a more advanced rider who basically knows what they're doing but hasn't yet got the ability to ride alone or ask to help with one towards the back as you can see what everyone else is doing.

Just try to show that you're keen, horsey people can smell a non-horsey person from a mile away so just try to show interest and listen to them bragging about how high they rode etc. Ask questions with any placement and if they shout just take it with a pinch of salt cause they're probably stressed seen as its a busy time of year for them. Try to keep yourself busy at all times and ask for things to do cause I generally find horse placements hate it when you're standing around so this is when you can show your initative and brush the yard and stuff when its a bit quieter.

ooo just thought they might also have pony days and things like that.

I just finished a two week placement on a stable yard yesterday and really enjoyed it. Like yourself I was apprehensive and knew only the basics of horse husbandry (I actually didn't know how to put a bridle or saddle on but I soon learned 😊).
I wasn't shouted at but it is quite a high stress environment so people may be a bit on edge so as long as you're aware of this you'll be fine.

Don't avoid asking for help to prevent getting shouted at because it's better to know what you're doing and do it right than get it wrong(more chance of shouting than asking for help).

I also assisted in lessons, leading etc and there was a pony camp on the first week I was there so I was learning a lot while the kids were getting talks (like a crash course on horse care for children, it was great 😂).
My advice is just to relax into it and enjoy it. If you listen carefully to and follow instructions and keep your timings right (tacking up for lessons for example) you'll have no issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I have done 3 days in a top equine hospital never even held a horse before and bluffed my way through it by being interested and enthusiastic and they want me back! :wink:

I was in the same position as you in my first year of uni, expect to do a lot of mucking out, poo picking and brushing. As someone has said above, horsey people can spot a non horsey person a mile off, and if you don't know something, always ask, even if it sounds silly. Stating the obvious don't put yourself in dangerous positions around horses, don't stand behind their bums, or get in the way in general. I struggled on my placement because I'm really not a horsey person and they figured this out, but I was willing to listen and learn and they appreciated it that when asked if I could put a bridle on a horse I said I could but could someone show me again to be sure, so if you're not 100% sure, ask them to show you, they will respect you much more if you put your hands up and say you're not confident and could someone show you rather than diving straight in and it being obvious you're not confident and unsure about something.
Don't expect to do much exciting, but work hard and if there's nothing to do ask if you can help with something. It was one of my hardest placements, and I've also done loads of farm and I get on well with farmers but I struggled with horses and horsey people .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending