The Student Room Group

What is the best form of contraception?

Hello I am currently in a long term relationship and I have no intention of using a condom. (Absolutely hate it and it feels so uncomfortable). I'm not allergic or anything I just choose not to use it. I have been put on the coil but everyone is telling me I'm too young to have it (I'm age 18) and it may cause serious effect. Can someone tell me a little more about it please? And if it is rubbish what is the best form of contraception in general?
There is no 'best for everyone': it depends on what you prioritise and how you react to each of the options.

There are two basic types of coil / IUD. One releases progesterone in your uterus. It's the most reliable, and can make periods lighter. The other is made of copper (that damages any sperm). It's not as reliable, can make periods heavier, but if you can't tolerate a progesterone-based contraceptive, it's a good option. (There's a third sort that has neither, but I don't think it's used here any more. One version caused problems in the 70s because its string helped bacteria enter the uterus and lead to infections.)

Did wherever you got the coil from talk about the implant with you? A small rod is put under the skin of your arm and releases progesterone. More reliable than any of the IUDs, easier to insert / remove, but some people don't like having the bump in their arm.

Other forms of contraception exist :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I am currently in a long term relationship and I have no intention of using a condom. (Absolutely hate it and it feels so uncomfortable). I'm not allergic or anything I just choose not to use it. I have been put on the coil but everyone is telling me I'm too young to have it (I'm age 18) and it may cause serious effect. Can someone tell me a little more about it please? And if it is rubbish what is the best form of contraception in general?

i'd recommend the pill, but only if you can rely on yourself to take it around the same time each day. The combined pill is very good and extremely effective. It will make your periods lighter, more predictable and you can even stop them if for example you were going on holiday by running two packets together. If you cannot take oestrogen based medication the POP or mini pill is still as effective (if containing desogestrel), but can cause irregular periods or make them stop altogether (as does the implant and the coil).
If you're not good at remembering to take medication or feel like you can't take it at around the same time each day I would recommend the IUS (coil containing progesterone) or the implant.
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted
There is no 'best for everyone': it depends on what you prioritise and how you react to each of the options.

There are two basic types of coil / IUD. One releases progesterone in your uterus. It's the most reliable, and can make periods lighter. The other is made of copper (that damages any sperm). It's not as reliable, can make periods heavier, but if you can't tolerate a progesterone-based contraceptive, it's a good option. (There's a third sort that has neither, but I don't think it's used here any more. One version caused problems in the 70s because its string helped bacteria enter the uterus and lead to infections.)

Did wherever you got the coil from talk about the implant with you? A small rod is put under the skin of your arm and releases progesterone. More reliable than any of the IUDs, easier to insert / remove, but some people don't like having the bump in their arm.

Other forms of contraception exist :smile:

Thank you, I have the one that you leave in for 10 years.
I also have tried everything else but I get sick of the pill because it makes me nauseous and I do not want to put on weight with the implant.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I have the one that you leave in for 10 years.
I also have tried everything else but I get sick of the pill because it makes me nauseous and I do not want to put on weight with the implant.

if you have questions about it ask your doctor
Reply 5
The trouble is there is no perfect method of contraception and no good one for a man at all! With all the options of pill, implant and coil it seems women can usually after trial and error and help from the doctor come up with something that is ok. Why not take some advice from a female GP who you envisage is likely to be following her own advice too.
I have the implant and it hasn't caused any weight gain (I'm also on the pill because I've been taking it for years for other issues and I'm too scared to come off it) I do love the inland though because it's always there no matter how drunk I am/ still effective if I'm sick and I can't forget to take it on time so if recommend it to anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest