The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExoIceCream99
My step father's a teacher. My mum is a pharmacist. The only subject my mum got a C in was History. Rest she got less. She's got a good life. My step dad didn't pass the subject he teaches at GCSE. If you're going down the A level route, GCSEs don't mean much. My sister who is 18 is getting into her university even with fail grades because her A level subjects are all A B standard. It doesn't matter too much.
Also the comment the person made and mine that followed was obviously sarcastic as you can't take 50 subjects at GCSE and I don't want them to fail. We all think we're going to get U's at first, especially in subjects you struggle in (I.e. I struggle in French). What I don't like is people complaining how many A*'s they've got. It doesn't make a difference. If you got a D in every subject apart from English and Maths, you could still get a successful job. GCSEs aren't the be all and end all, A level students will gladly tell you.

I wasn't glad the guy was going to fail, I was glad someone was complaining about SOMETHING THAT CAN genuinely affect their chances of a job. If you want to be a stock broker, and got an A in Maths GCSE, that dream isn't over. You can still do it.

No offence but your mum and dad done their gcses ages ago, I'm guessing things were different back then

I never once said it was impossible to get into university if you fail your gcses so I don't know why you are telling me all this but well done to your parents and sister, I wish her luck.
I think i know he was being sarcastic, about '50 Us' but I thought he did generally think he failed a lot of subject, great for him if he doesn't.

And about this: We all think we're going to get U's at first, especially in subjects you struggle in (I.e. I struggle in French). Speak for yourself.. Maybe if they are exaggerating but I don't agree with that.
And lool getting all Ds at GCSE now a days don't meet the requirements for most jobs or unis, although it is possible to get a job or uni, it is harder.
Also the people on this site who usually complain about A*s are those who aspire to go to Oxford where having more A*s at gcse increasrs your chances as it is very competitive.. Getting all Ds at GCSE will make your chances of getting into Oxford near 0.
Also people who get less A*s than the average Oxford applicant may be worried hence why they post what you find annoying. If someone needed 3Cs to get into college and got 2Cs and they complained you wouldn't mind be annoyed as it's a C.. But it is basically the same thing lol.

Yes the dream isn't over but they will be more worried as it lessens their chances lol.. You need to look at it from their perspective man

Posted from TSR Mobile
And I personally don't think your post was sarcastic as you even tried to give reasons and explain what you said.. I'd you was being sarcastic you should've said (as it wasn't very clear you were being sarcastic) rather than trying to explain and give reasons for what you said lol, but whatever, no one knows your intentions

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think anyone's ever got all U's 😂😂😂

Obviously someone has gotten all U's
Maybe not '50 U's'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
No offence but your mum and dad done their gcses ages ago, I'm guessing things were different back then

I never once said it was impossible to get into university if you fail your gcses so I don't know why you are telling me all this but well done to your parents and sister, I wish her luck.
I think i know he was being sarcastic, about '50 Us' but I thought he did generally think he failed a lot of subject, great for him if he doesn't.

And about this: We all think we're going to get U's at first, especially in subjects you struggle in (I.e. I struggle in French). Speak for yourself.. Maybe if they are exaggerating but I don't agree with that.
And lool getting all Ds at GCSE now a days don't meet the requirements for most jobs or unis, although it is possible to get a job or uni, it is harder.
Also the people on this site who usually complain about A*s are those who aspire to go to Oxford where having more A*s at gcse increasrs your chances as it is very competitive.. Getting all Ds at GCSE will make your chances of getting into Oxford near 0.
Also people who get less A*s than the average Oxford applicant may be worried hence why they post what you find annoying. If someone needed 3Cs to get into college and got 2Cs and they complained you wouldn't mind be annoyed as it's a C.. But it is basically the same thing lol.

Yes the dream isn't over but they will be more worried as it lessens their chances lol.. You need to look at it from their perspective man

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree that my parents did it when they were different and things are different, jobs are harder to get. But I had no other examples.

I know life is harder obviously with less high GCSEs. But it isn't over. I stated it was harder cause I know, but that's what life is like. You have to work hard (unless you're someone like Joey Essex).

It isn't the same thing, the person going to college would have no other option, the Oxford person can be to other universities. I am looking from the perspective because I have known several people who have been there.

Of course they'll be disappointed but none of them appreciate how set 10A*'s and one A gets them compared to 11 D's.

All I said is its not worth worrying too much about. You can still achieve goals and dreams.
Original post by AdeptDz
Obviously someone has gotten all U's
Maybe not '50 U's'

Posted from TSR Mobile

That will be pretty rare though.
I agree that my parents did it when they were different and things are different, jobs are harder to get. But I had no other examples.

I know life is harder obviously with less high GCSEs. But it isn't over. I stated it was harder cause I know, but that's what life is like. You have to work hard (unless you're someone like Joey Essex).

It isn't the same thing, the person going to college would have no other option, the Oxford person can be to other universities. I am looking from the perspective because I have known several people who have been there.

Of course they'll be disappointed but none of them appreciate how set 10A*'s and one A gets them compared to 11 D's.

All I said is its not worth worrying too much about. You can still achieve goals and dreams.

Okay, I agree with what you are saying here to be honest, but it didn't seem like that before.. Sorry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Okay, I agree with what you are saying here to be honest, but it didn't seem like that before.. Sorry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey that's okay, there is nothing wrong with friendly debate. We weren't rude to each other, we just disagreed, that's okay. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I don't keep my opinion to myself.
Hey that's okay, there is nothing wrong with friendly debate. We weren't rude to each other, we just disagreed, that's okay. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I don't keep my opinion to myself.

:smile: that's true.
have a nice day and good luck on your results if you done any exams this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trollface54
Who would wanna eat dem bloody drunken rats
#aqabio

Innit! Probably the 15 year old alcoholics according to AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile
@ExoIceCream99 different people have different standards. Someone who is expected to get all A*s will obviously be disappointed if they get 3 - not because they're a bad set of grades, but because they underperformed compared to the standard of work they are usually at.
Also GCSEs matter a lot more now than they did when your parents did them; courses are more competitive than ever and they have entry requirements of at least a pass, so getting Ds in core subjects would severely limit your options.
Yes, sometimes it may seem annoying when people make those threads, but in reality, places at Oxford, or seriously competitive courses such as Medicine, Dentistry, Vet Med, Law etc have GCSE cutoffs and if an applicant did not achieve the grades to meet this cut off, it is understandable for them to be upset.
I'm not going to guess what results i got; why put myself through that? :frown:
Anyone else absolutely terrified?
Well **** - I'm screwed if I want to be a lawyer I won't even get 3 A*'s let alone ten 😂

I know it's changed but that's because the government want to push young people into apprenticeships into what they deem more useful jobs e.g. Being an accountant, plumber, engineer or other apprenticeship jobs.

It's really ironic though because we need a lot of doctors and that's the hardest job to get into currently apart from if you want to be a singer or movie star (and we all know what's going on to do with doctors).

To the government university is simply a waste of time when a person can move up the ranks from *****iest pay to less *****ier pay (apprenticeship route.)

Apprenticeships usually require 5 A*-C unless it's an A level sort one they usually want 8 A*-C in GCSE. If you want to be something like a lawyer that's the minimum you need, although you need university (some teacher showed us a chart of the steps to take to be that and a plumber.)

If you get all D's in real life I really feel sorry for you (unless you're a cock and didn't do any revision and failed on purpose, then I have no sympathy, talking about the people who put effort in as much as the A* crew do). But your life isn't over. You will struggle, but those A* people are also going to struggle with the increasing university funds going up to £9,250 a year, so don't feel too bad they're in the same boat (that doesn't include accommodation or anything. Education at its finest).

Regarding the A* people, I don't mind you being a little disappointed, but the way you put it across isn't great. I know it's not your intention, it just hurts the others who wish upon wish they could get 9 A*'s and 2 A's. Regarding Oxford, as long as you got a good mix of A*'s and A's, maybe couple B's and C's in there (not in the subjects that are relevant to your course like it you're doing a course in law they won't care if you have a C in graffics but they will in stuff like RS or English), they won't be too harsh. They mainly focus on your A level grades, UCAS points, and you as a person (e.g. doing NCS, volunteering for a charity, that sort of thing). I know I'm not the boss of you but if you are disappointed I ask you simply put I am a little disappointed but at least I did okay or I didn't fail or even I did good. Because that would make us smile and reply oh well done, reply with our grades and stuff. If you reply so disappointed only *insert less than 10 A* grades* not many people will get on your band wagon.

P.S Thank you to the person in the crown wishing me luck? I couldn't find how to tag because I'm a hopeless being of nature (no wonder I failed ICT...well I don't know for definite but I'm 99% sure).
Original post by DystopiaisReal
I'm not going to guess what results i got; why put myself through that? :frown:
Anyone else absolutely terrified?

Hey you'll be okay. I'm terrified too. I don't want to fail anything. I'm sure you've done okay ~

Why you knocking Joey Essex's hustle though :/
Well **** - I'm screwed if I want to be a lawyer I won't even get 3 A*'s let alone ten 😂

I know it's changed but that's because the government want to push young people into apprenticeships into what they deem more useful jobs e.g. Being an accountant, plumber, engineer or other apprenticeship jobs.

It's really ironic though because we need a lot of doctors and that's the hardest job to get into currently apart from if you want to be a singer or movie star (and we all know what's going on to do with doctors).

To the government university is simply a waste of time when a person can move up the ranks from *****iest pay to less *****ier pay (apprenticeship route.)

Apprenticeships usually require 5 A*-C unless it's an A level sort one they usually want 8 A*-C in GCSE. If you want to be something like a lawyer that's the minimum you need, although you need university (some teacher showed us a chart of the steps to take to be that and a plumber.)

If you get all D's in real life I really feel sorry for you (unless you're a cock and didn't do any revision and failed on purpose, then I have no sympathy, talking about the people who put effort in as much as the A* crew do). But your life isn't over. You will struggle, but those A* people are also going to struggle with the increasing university funds going up to £9,250 a year, so don't feel too bad they're in the same boat (that doesn't include accommodation or anything. Education at its finest).

Regarding the A* people, I don't mind you being a little disappointed, but the way you put it across isn't great. I know it's not your intention, it just hurts the others who wish upon wish they could get 9 A*'s and 2 A's. Regarding Oxford, as long as you got a good mix of A*'s and A's, maybe couple B's and C's in there (not in the subjects that are relevant to your course like it you're doing a course in law they won't care if you have a C in graffics but they will in stuff like RS or English), they won't be too harsh. They mainly focus on your A level grades, UCAS points, and you as a person (e.g. doing NCS, volunteering for a charity, that sort of thing). I know I'm not the boss of you but if you are disappointed I ask you simply put I am a little disappointed but at least I did okay or I didn't fail or even I did good. Because that would make us smile and reply oh well done, reply with our grades and stuff. If you reply so disappointed only *insert less than 10 A* grades* not many people will get on your band wagon.

P.S Thank you to the person in the crown wishing me luck? I couldn't find how to tag because I'm a hopeless being of nature (no wonder I failed ICT...well I don't know for definite but I'm 99% sure).

For Oxford University they put a strong emphasis on gcse grades, I don't know why as one could improve but probably because of competition I don't know, Cambridge focus less on gcses and a basically all the other unis.. But for example to do maths with economics at lse you need an A in GCSE maths..

And no problem if your on the app just press what I said then 'quote' if on website it said reply under what I say

And yeah it is a bit annoying when people say they've failed even doe they have all A* I agree, it would be better to say something like I didn't meet my target or something..

And those things are so competitive because the while world applies for them so they need to cut some people off and go for the top if you get what I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Do it Right
Why you knocking Joey Essex's hustle though :/

Cause he can't tell time. Or tie his shoe laces.
All you've got to remember is, someone's 100% might be an A* and your 100% might be an A, the important thing isn't comparing your 100% to anyone else's. As long as you put that 100% in you should be happy with your results. I think my 100% in History is an A* but my 100% in IT is a B. Only compare your results to your own expectations on how well you think you did based on how much work you put in. The fact that you tried your best is something you should be proud of.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
For Oxford University they put a strong emphasis on gcse grades, I don't know why as one could improve but probably because of competition I don't know, Cambridge focus less on gcses and a basically all the other unis.. But for example to do maths with economics you need an A in GCSE maths..

And no problem if your on the app just press what I said then 'quote' if on website it said reply under what I say

And yeah it is a bit annoying when people say they've failed even doe they have all A* I agree, it would be better to say something like I didn't meet my target or something..

And those things are so competitive because the while world applies for them so they need to cut some people off and go for the top if you get what I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'm on mobile but not the app (cause it's a lil **** in my opinion). I know what you mean, they want people to go for the jobs with space.
Original post by sahil19
All you've got to remember is, someone's 100% might be an A* and your 100% might be an A, the important thing isn't comparing your 100% to anyone else's. As long as you put that 100% in you should be happy with your results. I think my 100% in History is an A* but my 100% in IT is a B. Only compare your results to your own expectations on how well you think you did based on how much work you put in. The fact that you tried your best is something you should be proud of.

Thanks advice, I like this one :smile: