The Student Room Group

Getting paid less than minimum wage??

I started a new job as a waitress at a local restaurant and got paid last week, i checked my account and it was like £10 short but I questioned whether it was national insurance. Nevertheless, I was determined to get my payslip, so after coming back from holiday I have just collected my first pay slip and I am getting paid £4.50 when minimum wage for my age (18) is £5.30. Am i being exploited? What should I do?
(edited 7 years ago)
You could have been paid less because of tax. Sometimes on your first payslip they tax you more than they should so the wage seems lower. You will get the money back in your next payslip if this is the case.
Reply 2
Original post by johnTroy1
You could have been paid less because of tax. Sometimes on your first payslip they tax you more than they should so the wage seems lower. You will get the money back in your next payslip if this is the case.

I checked the tax and nothing has been taken out….the wage is too low for tax to be taken out anyway, so I'm a bit anxious
Original post by jess888
I checked the tax and nothing has been taken out….the wage is too low for tax to be taken out anyway, so I'm a bit anxious

Does your contract state your wage? If not i'd advise asking your manager what the exact value of your wage is and judge from there.
Reply 4
Original post by johnTroy1
Does your contract state your wage? If not i'd advise asking your manager what the exact value of your wage is and judge from there.

there was no contract, i'm thinking that they have tried to pull the wool over my eyes, thank you I will do that
(edited 7 years ago)
Basically explain you are being paid below minimum wage for your age and they have to give you the extra in next months pay slip. This happened to me and it was sorted straight away, turns out she accidently clicked apprentice for me. Sometimes it's an honest mistake. A lot of people don't get a contract until after a number of weeks also. If they say the wage is £4.50, you need to tell them it's illegal and you will take it up with the necessary person (especially if there's a union)
Reply 6
Original post by whiteelephant7
Basically explain you are being paid below minimum wage for your age and they have to give you the extra in next months pay slip. This happened to me and it was sorted straight away, turns out she accidently clicked apprentice for me. Sometimes it's an honest mistake. A lot of people don't get a contract until after a number of weeks also. If they say the wage is £4.50, you need to tell them it's illegal and you will take it up with the necessary person (especially if there's a union)

Thank you so much, I will do that:smile:
Original post by jess888
Thank you so much, I will do that:smile:

yeah make sure you treat it as an accident first - say something like 'I got my wage slip and I'm being paid 4.50 an hour, I assume you thought I was 17 but I'm actually 18 so need to be on 5.30, I'm happy for you to pay the rest into next months wages'
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
yeah make sure you treat it as an accident first - say something like 'I got my wage slip and I'm being paid 4.50 an hour, I assume you thought I was 17 but I'm actually 18 so need to be on 5.30, I'm happy for you to pay the rest into next months wages'

Thank you I said exactly that….the response was "oh sorry i did think you were younger but its on your passport your date of birth, so ill sort that out no problem."

Whether it was a genuine mistake or not I'm not too sure but either the way it sounds like it will be rectified.

thank you:smile:
Original post by jess888
Thank you I said exactly that….the response was "oh sorry i did think you were younger but its on your passport your date of birth, so ill sort that out no problem."

Whether it was a genuine mistake or not I'm not too sure but either the way it sounds like it will be rectified.

thank you:smile:

good to hear. Enjoy getting paid properly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending