The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sahil19
Does it annoy anyone else that BTEC's weigh as much as A-levels when they're nowhere near as much work..

Yes
Although BTEC computing looked time consuming - my brother took it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19
Does it annoy anyone else that BTEC's weigh as much as A-levels when they're nowhere near as much work..

They're more coursework based but level 3 btec is equal to 1 A level. It's just how it is. My brothers taking btec business instead of a level because he's also taking economics, creative writing and history, plus EPQ.
Not that he's going my school he don't live with me.
Original post by ExoIceCream99
I'm the opposite, I'm academic, I was so bad at media and art but I'm great at drama. I choose maths, business, economics and sociology,

I hope you do well in those and have fun :biggrin:
The worst thing is they parade over us that they don't have a results day and getting unconditional offers when we're going to have to work our arses off.
Original post by JoshuaE
uhm wat

2 ½ months later and omg stress
Cause he can't tell time. Or tie his shoe laces.

Yeah of course he can't :wink: he's doing pretty well imo
Original post by XLittleSparrowX
I hope you do well in those and have fun :biggrin:

Thank you my friend :smile:

Original post by sahil19
The worst thing is they parade over us that they don't have a results day and getting unconditional offers when we're going to have to work our arses off.

I guess, it's just a way some people prefer.
Original post by Do it Right
Yeah of course he can't :wink: he's doing pretty well imo

Yes and he's hot I guess.
Maths Business Economics and Sociology, I've looked into university courses and decided these were the best for several career routes I could choose.

business and econ? some universities don't like when applicants do both because of the overlap, and i know the combination is banned at my school
but if you've researched it and know those are the a levels that you'll enjoy the most, good luck with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
business and econ? some universities don't like when applicants do both because of the overlap, and i know the combination is banned at my school
but if you've researched it and know those are the a levels that you'll enjoy the most, good luck with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks cupcake person :smile:
What you think you've got:

English Language - A*
English Literature - B
Maths - B
Chemistry - A/A*
Biology - A/A*
Physics - B
Religious Studies - A*
History - A/A*
Geography - A*
French - C/B

Taking for A-Levels:

Chemistry
Biology
History
Philosophy & Ethics

With the hopes of becoming a lawyer. :smile:
Original post by sahil19

Does it ever pay off for A Level students though? Like do Russell Group unis prefer candidates who took A Levels as opposed to BTEC?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by extraordinaire
Does it ever pay off for A Level students though? Like do Russell Group unis prefer candidates who took A Levels as opposed to BTEC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but they have to give some places to the BTEC kids, as an aspiring lawyer I think someone with ABB in respectable subjects is more qualified than a distinction in a BTEC..
Original post by sahil19
True but they have to give some places to the BTEC kids, as an aspiring lawyer I think someone with ABB in respectable subjects is more qualified than a distinction in a BTEC..

Random question, but why does the fact that you're an aspiring lawyer think that it makes your opinion more credible? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19

Yeh but if you applied with 4 A-levsl compared to 4 BTecs same equivalent grades, Im guessing you will be preferred,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by francis_e_c
Random question, but why does the fact that you're an aspiring lawyer think that it makes your opinion more credible? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because as someone who's looked thoroughly through the course and started networking I know that a B in History A-level would be more advantageous than a distinction* in BTEC law. Good question though, probably should've made that clear haha
Original post by francis_e_c
What you think you've got:

English Language - A*
English Literature - B
Maths - B
Chemistry - A/A*
Biology - A/A*
Physics - B
Religious Studies - A*
History - A/A*
Geography - A*
French - C/B

Taking for A-Levels:

Chemistry
Biology
History
Philosophy & Ethics

With the hopes of becoming a lawyer. :smile:

Omg awesome! Are you going to go into criminal law? (Murders, rape cases, etc)
haha thanks mate - i'm not fluent really but they're my favourite/best subjects, so crossed fingers I'll be ok :biggrin: none of them are from square 1, thank god!!
Original post by sahil19
Because as someone who's looked thoroughly through the course and started networking I know that a B in History A-level would be more advantageous than a distinction* in BTEC law. Good question though, probably should've made that clear haha

Should've. It read as though you were trying to show superiority or something, and that's coming from a fellow aspiring lawyer. :wink:

Latest