The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hello guys! Here to address you A2 lot specifically.

This time last year I would have received my A-Level results and got a confirmed university place. I'm a Law student at the University of York. I am now entering second year!

First off, I'm just here to say GOOD LUCK to you all. I know this is a stressful time but trust me there is literally no use in worrying or getting worked up. Remember to sleep and eat. It sounds stupid but some of my friends spent many sleepless nights trawling this site to find success stories and whatnot.

Secondly, don't bother asking people about near-miss chances and whatnot. The way uni admits people is highly unpredictable and will vary year on year. Some unis happily take the near-miss folk but others will keep you dangling for as long as possible (Durham lol).

Finally, have a good day! Get some plans and go and hang with friends or family. Be it a celebration or a day where you didn't quite get what you want - it's the end of your academic era and it's time you celebrate and wave it off in the best way possible.

If I of all people could make it through results day, you guys can too. Best of luck TSR!
Original post by PQ
Yes I work for a university. But I am not on TSR as an official rep or interesting in selling or promoting my employer (IMO they're good enough that I don't need to).

It's not appropriate for me to name drop - that's not why I'm here and I'm not here as part of my job.

Oh okay that makes sense. Out if curiosity, does anyone on this thread have your uni as their firm:biggrin:
Original post by MessyEffy
Oh okay that makes sense. Out if curiosity, does anyone on this thread have your uni as their firm:biggrin:

Not that I've noticed but tbh I skim over the firm/insurance posts and all the exam talk. I'm here to spot the rumours and uni/UCAS related questions mainly. :biggrin:
I could google this but I reckon you lot are looking for distractions so....

Why on EARTH to TeamGB cyclists have pulled up black socks as part of their uniform?
Hi, lots of uni's are now in clearing and showing courses available. I have firmed and insured at two universities so do I or can I apply online for courses through clearing now? Or do I wait until results day? Thank you
Original post by Karam_SC
Hi, lots of uni's are now in clearing and showing courses available. I have firmed and insured at two universities so do I or can I apply online for courses through clearing now? Or do I wait until results day? Thank you

You have to be released from your firm/ins
Original post by Karam_SC

You can't apply anywhere through clearing while you hold a firm or insurance. Universities in clearing aren't supposed to talk to you if you're holding an offer or placed elsewhere either.
Original post by student143
you forgot showing post is drivel for n=1 and n=2

Well, according to my 68 page mathematical proof (which I briefly summarized in my last post), the user's post is drivel for all values of n. Therefore, their post(s) will never be useful.

Spoiler

Original post by PQ
I could google this but I reckon you lot are looking for distractions so....

Why on EARTH to TeamGB cyclists have pulled up black socks as part of their uniform?

this is an interesting question
Anyone know when you call up for clearing do the unis do a phone interview? I've written down possible questions they could ask but is there any point. Shouldn't it be just about the grades?
Original post by MessyEffy
I'm guessing you work for a university or something? If so, which one? Would you even be allowed to disclose that information?

(sorry for so many questions lol)

i have a feeling it's UCL but i don't know :colonhash:
Original post by tanyapotter
i have a feeling it's UCL but i don't know :colonhash:

I have a feelingnits cambridge
He joined in 2003 jesus christ we were only in year 1 then :K:
If i get anything less than 7 A* i will be gutted
Just curious @PQ - when you go into clearing and you ring up, what exactly do you say? Do the admissions on the other end of the phone guide you through it by probing you questions? (E.g. Which courses are you interested in?) OR are you expected to have everything at your own disposal - 'hi, I'm ringing up about clearing, I'm interested in XYZ, I got the grades XYZ etc' cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOOOOOOL that's crazy, year 1!!

But yeah, I was thinking a top tier university also. Imperial, UCL etc. :tongue:
Original post by Cadherin
1. Make the topic choice interesting! If you select a topic which you find boring af, you will find it VERY difficult to work on it.

2. Ensure the topic is relevant to what you want to do - mine was relevant to medicine for example.

3. Don't expect it to lower your offer (especially for competitive subjects like medicine & law) as it won't but will be something interesting to discuss at interview and shows your commitment and articulacy!

4. DO NOT prioritise it over your A-levels.

More specifically:

5. Don't leave everything to the last minute!! (Something I struggled with).

6. Write down EVERYTHING you do in detail on it EVERY DAY in your work log (to save you having to fabricate stuff on your work log!!).

7. Ensure your evaluation is thorough as there is a gold mine of marks for this.

8. Try your best to enjoy the experience - that will motivate you! Remember, there are no marks for content, only for skills shown. But the most fun part is writing the dissertation unfortunately!

Wow, thank you for this! I really appreciate the advice and will most definitely take it on board. I have decided on my topic: "The colonialization of Africa and the Implications on the perception of the Western world in modern day society". Obviously, this topic is extremely broad, so I will be narrowing it down.

But yeah, thanks for the tips because I was 'flabbergasted' :') by the log book.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Anyone know when you call up for clearing do the unis do a phone interview? I've written down possible questions they could ask but is there any point. Shouldn't it be just about the grades?
it will vary between universities and courses.

The first phone call will likely be about grades. In some cases that will be all that matters. In others then they'll pass people with the right grades on for consideration (after the phone call) and so they might ring back to have a chat about your interests in the subject. Often that's as much about selling the course and the university to you as it is to check you're suitability.

It's a good idea to do some research while ringing/before hand about the modules and course structure (and facilities) at different universities. That will help demonstrate that you know what you're applying for and have done your homework about it.
Tidying up and sorting out your school things is a great way to get rid of nervous energy. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pato1
He joined in 2003 jesus christ we were only in year 1 then :K:

*she

(See I'm not joking about being really really old :wink:)
Original post by Sacred Ground
Just curious @PQ - when you go into clearing and you ring up, what exactly do you say? Do the admissions on the other end of the phone guide you through it by probing you questions? (E.g. Which courses are you interested in?) OR are you expected to have everything at your own disposal - 'hi, I'm ringing up about clearing, I'm interested in XYZ, I got the grades XYZ etc' cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll ask you what they need to know. Most will have a script or a set of forms to fill in.

The key piece of information is your clearing number (that gives them access to your entire application, grades PS reference the lot) and what courses you're interested in (and if you have any flexibility over subjects). They might also ask for grades up front (there's no use asking for your clearing number if you got EEE and are enquiring about a ABB course.

Quick Reply

Latest