The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ILikeMintTeaM8
Why is Saudi receiving so much hate?
I know they aren't the nicest country but they should be lauded not hated on for their campaign in Yemen, they and the UAE achieved more in Yemen in a few months than the whole world has for Syria in 5 years. They stopped the war from escalating by destroying the vast majority of weapon depots in the Yemen.
I'd never thought i would ever say this but the UAE and Saudi Arabia did a pretty decent job in Yemen against all the odds.

https://www.facebook.com/AbuEesaPersonal/posts/458337817662724?comment_id=459110480918791&reply_comment_id=459930664170106&total_comments=2&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D
At least 90 people have been killed in overnight air strikes by the Syrian government and Russian forces across Syria, according to monitors and opposition activists.

Most people were killed around the Aleppo province, where more than 300,000 civilians are trapped in rebel held territories.

The air raids hit the only hospital for women and children in the town of Kafr Hamra, killing two staffers, including a nurse, while 10 people were rescued from the rubble, the Syrian Civil Defence said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/syria-war-government-russia-blamed-deaths-160813081046636.html

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raijoon
punjabi samosas taste so good

:tongue:

How's everyone's holidays going?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Inve
punjabi samosas taste so good

:tongue:

How's everyone's holidays going?

You're always on about food :rolleyes:

The past few weeks have gone by quick.
Yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;WqtcnMZA0Hc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtcnMZA0Hc[/video]

"Some men, just want to watch the world burn"
(edited 7 years ago)
Assalaamu alaykum
Original post by FishLover
I don't understand people who stick to one madhhab tbh. I pick and choose the ones that makes the most sense to me.They are all valid positions innit? Is there something wrong with doing this?

The thing is, picking and choosing without sticking to the usool of fiqh - be that of a single Shaykh or a madhhab (which is the collective fiqh of many scholars) - means that you do not choose a way/ruling based on what you believe to be correctly derived from Islam, rather that you choose what seems more convenient, regardless of how the ruling was derived and upon what bases.
Original post by Zayn is Bae
So ''who'' is Ahle Sunnat? To say Barelvi's are a desi thing is wholly inaccurate, when the majority of Indonesians/Malaysian's are considered to be Ahle Sunnat as well. Who would you consider to be, Saudi's? :rofl:

It is a huge mistake to assume that Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama’ah is a term confined to barelvis. It is a false notion that barelvis commonly propagate. In reality, the term includes many groups of muslims, but excludes some with distinct differences - such as ahmadiyyah, Shi'a, etc.

I strongly suggest that you be wary of certain barelvi teachings and seek to learn about some of the problematic statements and beliefs of the school's founder.

Disclaimer: I'm not a salafi, nor am I an 'Isis sympathiser', nor am I 'salafi leaning' (whatever that means). However, this does not mean that i, by default, reject everything said by a salafi scholar and disregard all that they say regarding rulings of the deen. The Sh. of islamqa is a faqeeh, like it or not, and his derivation of rulings is accepted despite the fact that others may differ. Difference of opinion is not something which nullifies every other stance, more so in fiqh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I am not a Muslim and i have barely read the Quran, so if i post anything that may have been misinterpreted or misunderstood, please forgive me and politely correct me.

I began to do research on Islam to find out whether it is the peaceful religion that people say it is and i came across these verses:

“Kill them [unbelievers] wherever you find them… And fight them until there is no more unbelief and worship is for Allah alone”

To me these verses look like they condone violence, the antithesis of peace. But i also came across this.

"be merciful to those on the earth and the one above the heavens will have mercy upon you"

Now i see two statements that to me seem to be entirely contradictory of one another. If Islam preaches peace then that means that the scriptures that proclaim peace must outweigh those that do the opposite. Is that the case? If not, then what makes Islam a religion that preaches peace rather than war. War and Peace are entirely conflicting ideologies, and there is no way they can be achieved together.

Hi :h:

I'd firstly just like to say I think it's admirable that you thought to seek out the truth of the matter for yourself - that, too, without a preconceived bias.

Regarding the question at hand, Islam is often said to be a religion of peace. What we don't hear as often is that it is a religion that calls for justice. For a person to go against the rights of another is a crime - whether this be theft, oppression, adultery, murder or whatever else.

Islam propagates peaceful interaction with everyone in our daily lives. It also promotes patience and good character in all circumstances. It holds forgiveness to be far greater than for one to seek to exact revenge. However, it also permits mindful retaliation to oppression - if you are being fought, you may fight back; if you are driven out of your homes without having commited a crime, you are entitled to retain your homes and drive out those that oppress.

In the context of the early Islamic period, a brief summary is as follows:

- The Qur'an was revealed to Muhammad (peace be upon him); he was given the instruction to worship the only One God
- His near and dear accept Islam, as do some others, but they do not publicly preach
- Muhammad (pbuh) begins calling people to Islam and discourages them from worshiping idols. He is mocked, verbally abused and made victim to aggression and insult.
- the few early muslims are punished merely for their faith in one God, some are killed, all are boycotted
- some of the Muslims are compelled to leave their homes in Makkah for Abyssinia
- hostility worsens against the remaining muslims, who then are compelled by the dire circumstances to leave their homes in Makkah and emigrate to Madinah.
- despite the departure of the Muslims to Madinah, the Makkan non-Muslims still cause trouble, raiding Muslim caravans as they seek to take home earnings from trade

As such, the instruction (in the Qur'an) was given to "fight those who fight you", to "drive them out from where they drove you out" because "disruption/oppression/tyranny in the land is worse than murder", yet at the same time the Muslims were warned to be careful as "Allah does not like those who transgress the limits".

TMG's post covers everything with the context of the text itself
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OGGUS
. X

Quick question, is your name غسان
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Quick question, is your name غسان

Yes it is
Original post by OGGUS
Yes it is

Ah, you're Arab?
Ah, you're Arab?

No I'm not
Original post by OGGUS
No I'm not

Right, Pakistani. I just read the Arab soc.
Right, Pakistani. I just read the Arab soc.

Oh okay
Whats a good dua for days leading up to results day? And before opening the results?
Original post by guided1
But he says that the verse applies if you are being attacked and countries like France and America and Britain are attacking them so they are allowed to use the verses about killing disbelievers who are attacking them. He still makes it sound like ISIS are following the Quran and they cant be. I think it is much better to say that the verses about fighting and killing are only about Muhammad pbuh and cant be used in modern times. Then atheists and christians cant say that Islam is violent.

That is certainly not a basis of tafseer. We don't pick and choose the interpretation of ahkaam from the Quran based on whims. To acknowledge that the Quran says something whilst not doing it is one thing, but to become influenced by things like what sits well with you and those around you in what you conclude of the Quran's instruction is a whole other matter.

This is what the Christians did and it eventually lead to a significant number of new atheists. As Muslims, we don't let 'what other people think' justify the distortion and twisting of Quranic injections. Rather, we study the Quran in order to attain a wholesome understanding of the issue at hand. It is very important not to mix up our priorities. We seek reward and acceptance from Allah ta'ala, no from those of His creation who deny His rights and favours upon them.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Whats a good dua for days leading up to results day? And before opening the results?

Firstly, we ought to keep in mind that we should strive constantly for our du'a to originate from the heart and manifest on the tongue. We should strive to be sincere and have complete reliance upon Allah ta'ala.

Secondly, exams are a worldly matter. Of course, there is nothing wrong in praying for success therein, but a du'a which includes a supplication for success in such matters may inevitably include supplication for other things - as the Messenger of Allah constantly emphasised to us the greater significance of the hereafter over this life. Thus, such du'as may be more general. Some of which are as follow:

وعنه قال‏:‏ كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم، يقول‏:‏ "‏اللهم أصلح لي ديني الذي هو عصمة أمري، وأصلح لي دنياي التي فيها معاشي، وأصلح لي آخرتي التي فيها معادي، واجعل الحياة زيادة لي في كل خير، واجعل الموت راحة لي من كل شر‏"‏ ‏(‏‏(‏رواه مسلم‏)‏‏)‏‏.
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) used to say: "Allahumm-aslih li diniyalladhi huwa 'ismatu amri, wa aslih li dunyaya-llati fiha ma'ashi, wa aslih li akhirati-llati fiha ma'adi, waj'alil-hayata ziyadatan li fi kulli khair, waj'alil-mauta rahatan li min kulli sharrin (O Allah, make my religion easy for me by virtue of which my affairs are protected, set right for me my world where my life exists, make good for me my Hereafter which is my resort to which I have to return, and make my life prone to perform all types of good, and make death a comfort for me from every evil)."

[Saheeh Muslim].

حَدَّثَنَا مُسَدَّدٌ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو الأَحْوَصِ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو إِسْحَاقَ الْهَمْدَانِيُّ، عَنِ الْبَرَاءِ بْنِ عَازِبٍ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم "‏ يَا فُلاَنُ إِذَا أَوَيْتَ إِلَى فِرَاشِكَ فَقُلِ اللَّهُمَّ أَسْلَمْتُ نَفْسِي إِلَيْكَ، وَوَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِي إِلَيْكَ وَفَوَّضْتُ أَمْرِي إِلَيْكَ، وَأَلْجَأْتُ ظَهْرِي إِلَيْكَ، رَغْبَةً وَرَهْبَةً إِلَيْكَ، لاَ مَلْجَأَ وَلاَ مَنْجَا مِنْكَ إِلاَّ إِلَيْكَ، آمَنْتُ بِكِتَابِكَ الَّذِي أَنْزَلْتَ، وَبِنَبِيِّكَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلْتَ‏.‏ فَإِنَّكَ إِنْ مُتَّ فِي لَيْلَتِكَ مُتَّ عَلَى الْفِطْرَةِ، وَإِنْ أَصْبَحْتَ أَصَبْتَ أَجْرًا ‏"‏‏.‏

Narrated Al-Bara' bin `Azib:
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "O so-and-so, whenever you go to your bed (for sleeping) say, 'O Allah! I have surrendered myself over to you and have turned my face towards You, and leave all my affairs to You and depend on You and put my trust in You expecting Your reward and fearing Your punishment. There is neither fleeing from You nor refuge but with You. I believe in the Book (Qur'an) which You have revealed and in Your Prophet (Muhammad) whom You have sent.' If you then die on that night, then you will die as a Muslim, and if you wake alive in the morning then you will receive the reward."

[Saheeh al-Bukhari]

Thirdly, we should not be reciting these du'as merely for worldly benefit. Rather, we should focus on each and every part of them with the focus that they are due. Whilst praying for this life, we need to continue praying for the life which is much longer lasting and (inshaaAllah) better for us - as Allah ta'ala says, the aakhirah is خير وأبقى .

[video]https://youtu.be/puUBTeXpSGw[/video]

Surah Aali-'Imraan, ayah 160:

إِن يَنصُرْكُمُ اللَّهُ فَلَا غَالِبَ لَكُمْ وَإِن يَخْذُلْكُمْ فَمَن ذَا الَّذِي يَنصُرُكُم مِّن بَعْدِهِ وَعَلَى اللَّهِ فَلْيَتَوَكَّلِ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ

If Allah assists you, then there is none that can overcome you, and if He forsakes you, who is there then that can assist you after Him? And on Allah should the believers rely.

This is a reminder to myself, first and foremost.

May Allah ta'ala resolve our affairs in this life and bless us with success in the next.
(edited 7 years ago)
أَخْبَرَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو الأَحْوَصِ، عَنْ أَبِي إِسْحَاقَ، عَنْ بُرَيْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي الْحَوْرَاءِ، قَالَ قَالَ الْحَسَنُ عَلَّمَنِي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم كَلِمَاتٍ أَقُولُهُنَّ فِي الْوَتْرِ فِي الْقُنُوتِ "‏ اللَّهُمَّ اهْدِنِي فِيمَنْ هَدَيْتَ وَعَافِنِي فِيمَنْ عَافَيْتَ وَتَوَلَّنِي فِيمَنْ تَوَلَّيْتَ وَبَارِكْ لِي فِيمَا أَعْطَيْتَ وَقِنِي شَرَّ مَا قَضَيْتَ إِنَّكَ تَقْضِي وَلاَ يُقْضَى عَلَيْكَ وَإِنَّهُ لاَ يَذِلُّ مَنْ وَالَيْتَ تَبَارَكْتَ رَبَّنَا وَتَعَالَيْتَ ‏"‏

It was narrated that Abu Al-Jawza said:
"Al-Hasan said: "The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) taught me some words to say in witr in Qunut: Allahumma ihdini fiman hadayta wa 'afini fiman afayta wa tawallani fiman tawallayta wa barik li fima a'tayta, wa qini sharra ma qadayta, fa innaka taqdi wa la yuqda 'alayk, wa innahu la yadhilluman walayta, tabarakta Rabbana wa at'alayt (O Allah, guide me among those whom You have guided, pardon me among those You have pardoned, turn to me in friendship among those on whom You have turned in friendship, and bless me in what You have bestowed, and save me from the evil of what You have decreed. For verily You decree and none can influence You; and he is not humiliated whom You have befriended. Blessed are You, O Lord, and Exalted.)'"

[Sunan an-Nasa'ee, graded Saheeh by Darussalam]
[video]https://youtu.be/2ZH3T4wwrFQ[/video]
Reply 1699
Original post by ash92:)
[video]https://youtu.be/2ZH3T4wwrFQ[/video]

SubhanAllah :cry2:

Latest

Trending

Trending