The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioOx
@drandy76 @Mathemagicien Although I had a nice time laughing at your jokes it is not fair being that salty.

I'm just pretending that Cambridge is actually hard to get into. Its a lot easier than I think most candidates believe, and that hurts my ego.
Original post by Serine Soul
Lol I got a D in English last year and for the past 18 months or so, I have probably leaded the 'Cambridge TSR Society' with my amazing post count in this forum

That's the sort of dedication Cambridge requires :wink:

Take note, future applicants!
Original post by BioOx
@drandy76 @Mathemagicien Although I had a nice time laughing at your jokes it is not fair being that salty.

This will ameliorate your pain.

Horrific:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Law_58

Did someone seriously submit that?!
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Did someone seriously submit that?!

Apparently..yes
Original post by BioOx
Apparently..yes

Lol I'd have given them an interview to witness his brilliance
Just finished my first PS draft . It feels like I became a parent and the Personal Statement is my baby. I hope that it won't disappoint me :biggrin:
Original post by BioOx
Just finished my first PS draft . It feels like I became a parent and the Personal Statement is my baby. I hope that it won't disappoint me :biggrin:

best part about being a mathmo is that your PS takes 20 minutes to write and nobody even bothers reading it
Original post by Zacken
best part about being a mathmo is that your PS takes 20 minutes to write and nobody even bothers reading it

:colone:
Original post by Zacken

How has your summer been so far? Excited for results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
How has your summer been so far? Excited for results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of no maths. Had surgery. Chilled on the island. Currently engrossed with No Man's Sky. Not really thought about results day. I presume you've been productive as usual? :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Lots of no maths. Had surgery. Chilled on the island. Currently engrossed with No Man's Sky. Not really thought about results day. I presume you've been productive as usual? :tongue:

You had a surgery! What happened? :frown:

Yeah, I've been working through Beardon's textbook and hoping to finish it by beginning of September so I can get some example sheet/past paper going.

I hope you get all the grades that you want and need for Cambridge on results day. If I do meet my offer, I will probably write a big appreciation post of how much help you've given me in STEP ever since January (whoah, it was like 7 months, been a long journey). I presume you will be on TSR on Thursday? I am not sure when you get your results in Mauritius. :biggrin:

Either way, thanks for everything and I hope I hear some great news from you when you get your results.
Original post by Insight314
You had a surgery! What happened? :frown:

Yeah, I've been working through Beardon's textbook and hoping to finish it by beginning of September so I can get some example sheet/past paper going.

I hope you get all the grades that you want and need for Cambridge on results day. If I do meet my offer, I will probably write a big appreciation post of how much help you've given me in STEP ever since January (whoah, it was like 7 months, been a long journey). I presume you will be on TSR on Thursday? I am not sure when you get your results in Mauritius. :biggrin:

Either way, thanks for everything and I hope I hear some great news from you when you get your results.

Nothing drastic, had to get my wisdom teeth removed.

Damn, the usual for you then. You should find a week and give yourself a week off, just for some good 'ol relaxation, you won't get a free holiday like this ever again. :tongue:

Thanks! I'm sure you've met your offer from the way your paper went. I'll be sure to congratulate you on Thursday. And yeah, I'll be getting my STEP results online on Thursday along with the rest of you, although my A-Level results take a day longer for some reason.
Original post by EnglishMuon
To me this seems like one of those cases where the applicant is bright but isn't actually good enough to focus all their effort on one subject to get really good at it so just spends lots of time padding it out with random A levels. I mean it reminds me of those occasional stories of 12 year olds who do a gcse or a level and then people jump to the conclusion that they are much better than most other A level candidates whereas they are just ahead compared to the average 14 year old for instance. Not to say 5 good A levels isn't impressive, just that the Guardian probably doesn't understand the difference between that and having 4 A levels and 3 STEP grades like the average maths applicant :smile:

PRSOM
Original post by EnglishMuon
To me this seems like one of those cases where the applicant is bright but isn't actually good enough to focus all their effort on one subject to get really good at it so just spends lots of time padding it out with random A levels. I mean it reminds me of those occasional stories of 12 year olds who do a gcse or a level and then people jump to the conclusion that they are much better than most other A level candidates whereas they are just ahead compared to the average 14 year old for instance. Not to say 5 good A levels isn't impressive, just that the Guardian probably doesn't understand the difference between that and having 4 A levels and 3 STEP grades like the average maths applicant :smile:

PRSOM
Original post by physicsmaths
For III aswell? I think III will be lower and I and II will be higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I'd think III would be lower too. It's not much if a metric I suppose, but this year's III did seem harder than the III past papers I'd solved to me at least
Original post by Zacken

I actually spent a lot of time on my PS, I was quite hurt that it wasn't (seemingly) read.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I actually spent a lot of time on my PS, I was quite hurt that it wasn't (seemingly) read.

They probably did glance over it before your interviews
Original post by Serine Soul
They probably did glance over it before your interviews

Maybe, but not thoroughly. Some of my answers to interview questions clearly surprised them, even though I had answered them in the Personal Statement.

I'm not complaining, I'm sure they had a lot of paperwork, and PSes for maths are useless; but it did surprise me.
(edited 7 years ago)