The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
My UKCAT is on the 17th and in my mocks I'm practically skipping and guessing most of VR and QR (although in VR I got 600 which isn't awful). The other sections are fine I think. QR is just particularly bad for me, I can't do any of the sums in under 40 seconds. Is that normal? Should I reschedule for early September?
Hi everyone. I was hoping if anyone has some time remaining on their medify subscription that theyd be kind enough to lend me. :smile:
Original post by emer.b
My UKCAT is on the 17th and in my mocks I'm practically skipping and guessing most of VR and QR (although in VR I got 600 which isn't awful). The other sections are fine I think. QR is just particularly bad for me, I can't do any of the sums in under 40 seconds. Is that normal? Should I reschedule for early September?

You need to also consider that you need to revise for school so leaving it until September can affect your A2 score. Yet, if you feel that waiting until then would be beneficial then do so. You could also reschedule to late August. If you really focus and revise could improve a lot.
Guys, I was wondering if it is alright that my timing in VR would be enough if it matched the average timings in medify for each question. I know that I'm supposed to do like 30-40 per question but that depends on how well i can understand and then infer the passage, and usually I end up getting the same as the average timings with answers that are mostly right. Is that good enough for me to do well in the test given that it's not my natural strength?
(edited 7 years ago)
Starting to become increasingly worried because my exam is on Monday and I can't seem to get out of my 600-630 range on mocks :frown:
Hi, is anyone else having trouble scheduling a date for the UKCAT exam? There seems to be no dates available anywhere?
Original post by blues123
How accurate is medify scoring?

The official UKCAT scoring methods have never been released, so it's impossible to tell.

Original post by JayP454
Guys, I was wondering if it is alright that my timing in VR would be enough if it matched the average timings in medify for each question. I know that I'm supposed to do like 30-40 per question but that depends on how well i can understand and then infer the passage, and usually I end up getting the same as the average timings with answers that are mostly right. Is that good enough for me to do well in the test given that it's not my natural strength?

Don't worry about answering all the questions if you're going to rush it, just focus on answering the majority of them well, and then guessing the rest when you start to run out of time.

Original post by raniafern
A question for all those who did their test: Do the Medify shortcuts work on the actual UKCAT exam? Alt + N is my life :yep: and Alt + C too.

Yes, the shortcuts do work (thank gods) :h:
Hi everyone
Just did my first Mock today on medify and I got
VR:600
QR:630
AR:650
SJ:Band 2
AVG:627

Exam is on the 18th August , should I be worried or is this is a decent result?
Thanks

That's fine! The more mocks you do, the less the time pressure feels and so your score will improve quite quickly. Bare in mind that you'll get used to the Medify mock layout by the time you reach the last one as well!
also how do i prepare for VR my worst section?
I wonder... Would it be a better strategy (For verbal section) to just focus on say 30 questions and just guess the final 14. If i try to answer them all, i feel rushed :/
Original post by natalia.medicine
You need to also consider that you need to revise for school so leaving it until September can affect your A2 score. Yet, if you feel that waiting until then would be beneficial then do so. You could also reschedule to late August. If you really focus and revise could improve a lot.

Thank you for the reply!
I'm an Irish student so it's a little bit different, I believe theyre a little easier on Irish students, thats why I'm looking to go to the UK. The only thing is I was looking to use my time before school starts to work on a project for one of my subjects. The soonest I can do it is the second day my school starts other than the 17th. Plus I dont even know for sure if I can afford UK cause of brexit so I'm thinking I should probably go ahead and do it on the 17th. God i dont know haha
Reply 2011
I am seeing no improvement in my mock scores. Continuous and consistent improvement in practices, but getting worse in mocks... why ....
Hi everyone
Just did my first Mock today on medify and I got
VR:600
QR:630
AR:650
SJ:Band 2
AVG:627

Exam is on the 18th August , should I be worried or is this is a decent result?
Thanks

same as mee, you will be fine, work quickly to get throuigh em all, let me know how u do and good luck!1 xxx
Original post by TianaEsther
Starting to become increasingly worried because my exam is on Monday and I can't seem to get out of my 600-630 range on mocks :frown:

what mocks u done? offical ones are much harder than tyhe real thing
Original post by emer.b
My UKCAT is on Wednesday and in my mocks I'm practically skipping and guessing most of VR and QR (although in VR I got 600 which isn't awful). The other sections are fine I think. QR is particularly bad for me, I can't do any of the sums in under 40 seconds. Is that normal? Should I reschedule for early September? I'm an Irish student so I dunno if I'm even gonna be able to afford going studying in the UK after brexit so basically I'm not sure if it's worth rescheduling and eating into school time. But then again, most UK unis are ranked better than Irish ones so I'd prefer to go there if I don't get my first choice in Ireland. Anyway I'd be so grateful for any advice cause I'm kinda freaking out. Thanks in advance!

yh I initially found QR really hard but I improved most with practise more than any of the other sections so I would suggest rescheduling if you can. there's literally no reason not to do that (other than more burden over the holiday lol). I found completemedguide's tips like learning to read graphs and knowing when to get rid of answer choices pretty handy. it also has formulas stuck in your mind for common calcs so that you can do them without thinking in the exam and save time. But just doing as many practise questions is most important!! Practise practise practise!
Original post by garlicbread23
also how do i prepare for VR my worst section?

Practice, practice, practice. Use Kaplan, Medify, ISC, official website etc. Learn and practice strategies such as scanning the passage for key words (from the question or from the statements) which saves lots of time.
Original post by med2017
Hi guys

I just sat my UKCAT and got the following

VR - 480
QR - 770
AR - 900
SJ - Band 3

Average 717

Overall I'm happy with the average but am really concerned about my 480 in verbal! It was such an awful section :frown: also is my band 3 too low. What universities should I avoid/apply to?

I got 6a* 4a at gcse. I appreciate any help.

Many thanks :smile:

Hi congrats on the amazing result, you should avoid SGUL as they want min of 500 in each subsection

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone want to join my whasapp prep group? Guess we can just send each other tips, practice questions?
Original post by clairebear101
what mocks u done? offical ones are much harder than tyhe real thing

I've done all the medify mocks- I scored 676 in the first one, 616 in the second one and 623 in the third one. Then I did an official one on the ukcat website and got an embarrassing score of 602 :frown:
Original post by TianaEsther
I've done all the medify mocks- I scored 676 in the first one, 616 in the second one and 623 in the third one. Then I did an official one on the ukcat website and got an embarrassing score of 602 :frown:
I got 667 and 650 in the two medify ones I've done so far, but my score on the official mock went down to a 614 average :/ I don't think I'm getting worse though, the difficulty of the mocks isn't consistent between medify and the official ukcat website.

Although I've heard that some sections (except VR) are on par/easier than medify so I'm trying to just practice enough right now - especially comprehension and QR
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending