The Student Room Group

Gentleman a curse ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Double Agent
You have to accept that if you are going to be in a relationship with someone who is attractive, sociable and ambitious then other people will want to be with them, will try and steal them from you and will flirt with them. That says nothing about your partners behaviour, that's all you should be interested in, dont cause tension in the relationship over it. Many people can't handle it, and prefer a relationship with someone much more average who they don't worry will leave them.

I'm none of those... I must be a perfect catch coz at least no one gonna wanna steal me :gah:

:biggrin:
Original post by asif007
Each to their own. But you're getting a bit worked up comparing me to Hitler, don't you think? Lol :tongue:

Yes sorry I was not trying to do that, should have given another example. I'm just trying to say that you can never be sure you're right about things. It might seem right to you but other people might find it weird if not downright wrong.
As you said each to their own. That is why I think the whole alpha/beta thing is stupid. Different people have different thoughts, ideas and dreams.
Original post by Qboid
I'm none of those... I must be a perfect catch coz at least no one gonna wanna steal me :gah:

:biggrin:

Bless. That's actually one of the cutest posts I've read on TSR :lol:
Reply 23
I guess they could have more issues with their partner's being jealous and mistrusting. But that would depend on how well adjusted their partner is and/or what they do in the privacy of the relationship to help or prevent those issues.

When you feel secure in your relationship and you have good self worth, I think the anxiety about other men or women reduces. Jealousy is a normal emotion and can be positive - if we are able to see why we are jealous we can use it to change our behaviour or ask for an unmet need to be met.

Often we are drawn to social partners because they appear to offer things we may lack or more excitement. We look for a partner to fill gaps in ourselves. But if we're not careful, we can become co-dependent.
Reply 24
Personally I look for that sociable, helpful trait in a partner. A man who is strong in the sense of confidence, who has a sense of being powerful but doesn't necessarily have to be hugely powerful or successful. Charisma I guess

I want that because I am a social person. In certain circumstances I can be the charismatic, powerful person. I need a partner who can cope with that.
Reply 25
surely gentlemen are more likely to know which side their bread is buttered on and would be more loyal to their girlfriends. let him help others, its a thing they need to do
Original post by ~Tara~
Personally I look for that sociable, helpful trait in a partner. A man who is strong in the sense of confidence, who has a sense of being powerful but doesn't necessarily have to be hugely powerful or successful. Charisma I guess

I want that because I am a social person. In certain circumstances I can be the charismatic, powerful person. I need a partner who can cope with that.

From the tone and content of your previous post—and the simple, concise, yet too-seldom practised wisdom of its closing paragraph—I had surmised you must be at least 25. I wasn't disappointed.
Reply 27
Original post by Profesh
From the tone and content of your previous post—and the simple, concise, yet too-seldom practised wisdom of its closing paragraph—I had surmised you must be at least 25. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm 29 and, apparently, about to become hideously ancient. I learn so much from the youngsters here! I best make the rest of my 20's count 😂
Original post by ~Tara~
I'm 29 and, apparently, about to become hideously ancient. I learn so much from the youngsters here! I best make the rest of my 20's count 😂

Ditto. Alas, I fear my prospects of completing that much-vaunted Amis-esque novel (whose skeleton I devised in 2008), becoming an Eisner-winning graphic-artist and developing the requisite technical finesse to deftly segué between deep-house and hip-hop on a mixing-desk before I wave farewell to my twenties may now be vanishingly remote, but I'm also largely content with my habitual—and, increasingly, elective—bachelorhood, which I suspect is more than can be said of most people my age, let alone my incurably neurotic 21-year-old self.

Of course, if we're both still here at 39, I'll make sure to include you among my literary dedications and extend a VIP invitation to the opening night of my (inevitable) future residency at Thekla: lifelong ambitions are never quashed, after all; only deferred.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I know but kinda hard if they like to go out of their way for friends and also don't know that it can be translated as affection or interest for other girls.

His just their friend.
Original post by Anonymous
Do Gentlemen get more trust issues when it comes to relationships, because they're friends with everyone and easily get girls attention?

May be a bold statement/question but just wondering, because my boyfriend is someone like that and is helpful and well mannered and he is known as "everyone's friend" but not sure if that can effect the relationship as girls will want him because his perfect, and the difference between how he treats them and me is not that clear, because he gives attention to those that need his help.

OP calls her bf a perfect gentleman.

Who wants to take bets on how long it will be before she cheats on him with the local badboy?
Being a gentleman sucks. A lot of times (especially in business) you gotta be an *******, but not like some sort of hooligan. Have some class at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being a gentleman sucks. A lot of times (especially in business) you gotta be an *******, but not like some sort of hooligan. Have some class at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
10/10

Quick Reply

Latest