The Student Room Group

School Supplies?

Hi,
I'm from Canada and I'll be starting university in the fall.
I was wondering, what do you usually buy for university?

I went shopping today and this is what I bought, what do you think?
-3 duo tangs(to hand papers in)
-2 folders(so bring papers)/report covers
-2 packs of ten of the plastic sheet protectors
-5 notebooks(1/class)

I also still have new sticky notes, colored pens, cue cards, mechanical pens, highlighters, agenda/day planner, pens(I will get better ones haha), a binder(I don't know if I'll need this), a ton of paper and more notebooks just in case.

What else do I need?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xWanderlustx
Hi,

-5 notebooks(1/class)

I also still have new sticky notes, colored pens, cue cards, mechanical pens, highlighters, agenda/day planner, pens(I will get better ones haha), a binder(I don't know if I'll need this), a ton of paper and more notebooks just in case.

What else do I need?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

This largely depends on what you study to be honest and how organised you like to be! You seem pretty prepared already really, and you can always buy things as you go along. Calculator and a pencil wouldn't be a bad idea, even if you're studying something like English :smile:

I have a ring binder for each topic, folder dividers, highlighters, pens, pencil, sticky notes, diary and a calculator

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by xWanderlustx
Hi,

-5 notebooks(1/class)

What else do I need?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know about Canadian unis, but in the UK many now have electronic hand-in so you wouldn't need the first thee items. My undergrad uni didn't have elecronic submission when I was there, but my department did specify how assignments were submitted - unbound, no covers, sheets attached at the top left only. Wait until you see your first assignment brief before buying more things like that.

If you're moving away from home to uni, don't worry too much about carting extra stationery with you. In the UK, all unis will have somewhere on or near campus where you can buy basic supplies. Some Student Unions run subsidised shops, so things can be slightly cheaper than ordinary retail outlets. May be similar where you are.

If you like taking a lot of notes (or think you will), then don't necessarily bother with "good" pens - get the brand you're used to and avoid hand/wrist strain.
Original post by Butterfly9595
This largely depends on what you study to be honest and how organised you like to be! You seem pretty prepared already really, and you can always buy things as you go along. Calculator and a pencil wouldn't be a bad idea, even if you're studying something like English :smile:

I have a ring binder for each topic, folder dividers, highlighters, pens, pencil, sticky notes, diary and a calculator

Posted from TSR Mobile

Luckily I already have everything you mentioned at home :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Klix88
Don't know about Canadian unis, but in the UK many now have electronic hand-in so you wouldn't need the first thee items. My undergrad uni didn't have elecronic submission when I was there, but my department did specify how assignments were submitted - unbound, no covers, sheets attached at the top left only. Wait until you see your first assignment brief before buying more things like that.

If you're moving away from home to uni, don't worry too much about carting extra stationery with you. In the UK, all unis will have somewhere on or near campus where you can buy basic supplies. Some Student Unions run subsidised shops, so things can be slightly cheaper than ordinary retail outlets. May be similar where you are.

If you like taking a lot of notes (or think you will), then don't necessarily bother with "good" pens - get the brand you're used to and avoid hand/wrist strain.

I'm only using the first item(duo tang) to hand things in(idk if it's a university thing but in high school they'd require me to hand things in in a duo tang), the folders are to keep scrap paper intact, and the sheet protector are for my syllabi, so I don't destroy them like I did in high school.
I don't have a brand I'm really used to, but the cheapest ones are usually terrible, so I'll need a few new pens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest