The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChiefKwen
What is up OP. How have you been practising for Situational judgement.

I know they give you sone marks for a close answer. But in the isc book and app I have not been getting them.

Thank you.
-CK

Yup, but my SJT is a Band 2, and I once scored a Band 3 as well :frown:
Yeah, they do give you marks for close answers, don't worry. Just put the marks yourself! :wink:
Original post by emer.b
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
My UKCAT is on the 17th and in my mocks I'm practically skipping and guessing most of VR and QR (although in VR I got 600 which isn't awful). The other sections are fine I think. QR is just particularly bad for me, I can't do any of the sums in under 40 seconds. Is that normal? Should I reschedule for early September?

If you've done enough practice, I'd suggest you DON'T reschedule.
1. You'll run out of practice material.
2. You'll lose your brain after a while. Trust me, I started preparation 1.5 months ago and have gone from awesome at the end of July to nervous, unsure, wreck now.
3. Get it over and done with mate! :woo:

You can't do ALL QR questions in 40 seconds, unless you're a maths wiz, which I'm clearly not. So you'll find that I spend a little more time on some questions and compensate on the rest. And if I find that I've to solve stuff in more than 2 or 3 steps, simply guess and move on.
Original post by Gogregg
The official UKCAT scoring methods have never been released, so it's impossible to tell.

Don't worry about answering all the questions if you're going to rush it, just focus on answering the majority of them well, and then guessing the rest when you start to run out of time.

Yes, the shortcuts do work (thank gods) :h:

Thank you, thank you, thank you :hat2: :hugs:
Does anyone know were I can find/buy more mocks? I have done the medify ones and the official ones.
Is it true that you can get 900 and not get all the questions correct?
Original post by 123chem
Hi! Can people who have done the test, compare it to UKCAT official mock, kaplan book, ISC and medify pls? Which seections were harder, which were easier, which were on par? Many Thanks!

I'd like to know the answer to this too, especially which sections are most accurate on which resource
Original post by clairebear101
Why did u have to guess a lot in QR, was it hard?

No, it really wasn't that hard. It was much easier than Mock A, something like Mock B or C. Of course, there were a few more difficult questions. But mostly it was one simple table and usually straightforward calculations.
I feel like I guessed too many answers because I was very stressed, I could literally feel my heart beating and it obviously affected my cognitive abilities. I know it is easier to say but you should really do anything to stay calm.
Original post by natalia.medicine
Is it true that you can get 900 and not get all the questions correct?

Oui, this is possible. You just have to do as well as the top scorer in 2006 :biggrin:
Original post by Uni12345678
I'd like to know the answer to this too, especially which sections are most accurate on which resource

I could tell you tomorrow :biggrin:
@123chem
Does anyone know were I can find/buy more mocks? I have done the medify ones and the official ones.

There are a few mocks at the end of the ISC and other books. I'd suggest doing some useful, recognised mocks than random ones which you find online because the answers out there aren't always in accordance with the UKCAT marking scheme. Especially SJT :angry: I found out the hard way :lol:
Original post by garlicbread23
Hi everyone. I was hoping if anyone has some time remaining on their medify subscription that theyd be kind enough to lend me. :smile:

Mine expires tonight. My apologies.
Original post by TianaEsther
Starting to become increasingly worried because my exam is on Monday and I can't seem to get out of my 600-630 range on mocks :frown:

:five: All the best for tomorrow :hugs:
Original post by noslomai
No, it really wasn't that hard. It was much easier than Mock A, something like Mock B or C. Of course, there were a few more difficult questions. But mostly it was one simple table and usually straightforward calculations.
I feel like I guessed too many answers because I was very stressed, I could literally feel my heart beating and it obviously affected my cognitive abilities. I know it is easier to say but you should really do anything to stay calm.

I guess I'll just scarf down a banana to calm my racing heart :lol:
Any other last minute tips you'd like to offer?
Original post by raniafern
I guess I'll just scarf down a banana to calm my racing heart :lol:
Any other last minute tips you'd like to offer?

Go to sleep early, eat well, arrive early and go to the toilet before (I guess it's the last thing you want to think about during the exam). I used the DM section to familiarise myself with the calculator and shortcuts. In fact I used only the alt+c calculator shortcut but it was worth using since I was all shaky :P Just try to stay calm, some say a 5-minute meditation and focusing on your breath works.
Also if you think you haven't done as well as you hoped, try not to get anxious or disappointed with the test, because there is a lot ahead and ultimately the score is somewhat surprising.
When I saw the first passage in VR I got a bit scared because they seemed so long, but I think they are of similar length as the ones in the Mock tests. The font was a tad bigger and the lines weren't that wide, therefore it inevitably looked as if the passages were longer.
There are a few mocks at the end of the ISC and other books. I'd suggest doing some useful, recognised mocks than random ones which you find online because the answers out there aren't always in accordance with the UKCAT marking scheme. Especially SJT :angry: I found out the hard way :lol:

Thank you! I will look for them. I hope everything goes alright with your exam and your application :smile:
Original post by usycool1
You can guess all of it if you like. I think it's sensible to just stretch your arms or something during that section.

Hi there, sorry this is not a UKCAT related question but I saw you are an adviser and thought if you could help me with a query. I am starting an MPhil in Genomics this October in Cambridge but I am applying also for graduate entry for Medicine. I just realised that my course is one year long but grad medical courses start in September so I am now totally confused because it seems like I cannot start it? I am entirely sudden shocked right now, do you know any info on that matter? Thanks!
Oui, this is possible. You just have to do as well as the top scorer in 2006 :biggrin:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Do universities look at each sector separately or just the average?
Do universities look at each sector separately or just the average?

Majority of them looks at average but few do look at specific section, for eg I think Warwick wants very high verbal reasoning, you need to check
Original post by noslomai
Go to sleep early, eat well, arrive early and go to the toilet before (I guess it's the last thing you want to think about during the exam). I used the DM section to familiarise myself with the calculator and shortcuts. In fact I used only the alt+c calculator shortcut but it was worth using since I was all shaky :P Just try to stay calm, some say a 5-minute meditation and focusing on your breath works.
Also if you think you haven't done as well as you hoped, try not to get anxious or disappointed with the test, because there is a lot ahead and ultimately the score is somewhat surprising.
When I saw the first passage in VR I got a bit scared because they seemed so long, but I think they are of similar length as the ones in the Mock tests. The font was a tad bigger and the lines weren't that wide, therefore it inevitably looked as if the passages were longer.

Are all the passages and quaetions impossible to get your head around like the 1000Q book ones?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending