The Student Room Group

Attempt for the olympics?

Hi,
So I'm from Canada, and I'm an 18 year old girl.
I hope someday to go to the Olympics.
Now I'm trying to decide on the right sport to get me there.
I'm quite lean, long skinny arms, flat stomach, but no curves.
I'm built pretty athletically. What should I look into joining to get me to the next level of elite athletes.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should also add, I'm not the fastest long distance runner, as I'm more of a sprinter, but I don't think I could make it in athletics due to starting the sport late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think we've all done this. Watched the olympics then decided its what we want to do. I was the same dw.

Its very hard at this stage, regarding track sports e.g. sprinting, you have an extremely low chance, just because most athletes have been training since they were young. I know someone who almost made it into the hurdles team, they've been at my local track since they were 9 and they're 19 now :')

However, there are cases of people in their 20's getting onto the team after 4 to 8 years training for rowing and archery. Maybe you could look into that? Theres probably others too.

I cant give you much help I'm afraid. But what i will say is that obviously you need to be very fit, so maybe join a gym and try and go 5 times a week. If you built up strenght and fitness, I would say that volleyball sounds like it would suit your profile (:

Best of luck! If you ever make it, make sure you come back to this thread. It would be amazing to know that you made it!
There's a very similar post to yours ,entitled Can I Be An Olympian?
Original post by xWanderlustx
Hi,
I'm built pretty athletically. What should I look into joining to get me to the next level of elite athletes.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could try the triple jump or long jump, or the heptathlon.

If you're built slightly muscular, with wide shoulders, you could try swimming, but, if you don't know how to, then it's unlikely. If you do, then you'd have to train upto 12-13 hours a day to reach that level.
Starting at 18 you need to pick a sport with less participation (i.e. its easier). Rowing is a good shout.
Hi,

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need a late starters' sport:- luge, skeleton, bobsleigh, curling, archery, shooting, modern pentathlon, rowing, canoeing, yachting, boxing (for women), taekwondo, judo
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

you have no chance may as well give up
Well if you get very very very good at a sport if you may don't make it to team GB there is always the possibility of other countries making you an offer. Especially poorer countries.
Original post by Hashtosh302
you have no chance may as well give up

Ah, the great mystery of Canada's Olympic under-performance.
Original post by nulli tertius
You need a late starters' sport:- luge, skeleton, bobsleigh, curling, archery, shooting, modern pentathlon, rowing, canoeing, yachting, boxing (for women), taekwondo, judo

Thank you, I don't think I mentioned I was a women(OPPS). I didn't know judo and taekwondo are late starting sports so this is really helpful!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nexttime
Starting at 18 you need to pick a sport with less participation (i.e. its easier). Rowing is a good shout.

Unfortunately, Canadians are pretty good at rowing and most rowers come from a place next to a lake, aka not me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fandom-queen
You could try the triple jump or long jump, or the heptathlon.

If you're built slightly muscular, with wide shoulders, you could try swimming, but, if you don't know how to, then it's unlikely. If you do, then you'd have to train upto 12-13 hours a day to reach that level.

I know I can lj more than 4m. But that's still a far cry from the Olympics + athletics people start quite young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any thoughts about wrestling? Or should I not bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nobodycarescarla
I think we've all done this. Watched the olympics then decided its what we want to do. I was the same dw.

Its very hard at this stage, regarding track sports e.g. sprinting, you have an extremely low chance, just because most athletes have been training since they were young. I know someone who almost made it into the hurdles team, they've been at my local track since they were 9 and they're 19 now :')

However, there are cases of people in their 20's getting onto the team after 4 to 8 years training for rowing and archery. Maybe you could look into that? Theres probably others too.

I cant give you much help I'm afraid. But what i will say is that obviously you need to be very fit, so maybe join a gym and try and go 5 times a week. If you built up strenght and fitness, I would say that volleyball sounds like it would suit your profile (:

Best of luck! If you ever make it, make sure you come back to this thread. It would be amazing to know that you made it!

I already go to the gym 5 times a week, I run, use weights, most of the time, I go to the gym for 1.5-4 hours so it depends on my day but still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius

I wouldn't say Taekwondo was a late starting sport tbh. The flexibility required takes a lot longer to achieve the later in life you start. Plus IIRC you'd require to reach black belt before you started thinking about qualifying.
I know I can lj more than 4m. But that's still a far cry from the Olympics + athletics people start quite young.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Decent tbf. There's a lot you can win with a 4+ LJ short of being an Olympian.

Just pick the sport you most enjoy. The results yielded are amazing in a sport you love.
Reply 17
N

I should also add, I'm not the fastest long distance runner, as I'm more of a sprinter, but I don't think I could make it in athletics due to starting the sport late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Starting late isn't a problem (a few people from my local athletics club got into the tryouts despite starting at 17). The biggest obstacle is meeting the requirement and getting a recommendation to join TeamGB or other international teams.

I remember that for the 100m you must at least achieve 10.7s for the olympics tryout this May/June (I really wanted to attend since I can run faster than that... but A-level exams :cry2: ). My advice so far is to find out which event YOU enjoy the most, amd the way to find out is by trying out any of them (preferably going to an athletics club and teying them out)
Hi,

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whatever sport you do it is required of making sure that your body is fit and I would suggest you do the sport you enjoy the most because there is always competition in any sports field chosen.

Quick Reply

Latest