The Student Room Group

TSA - Section 2, word count?

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find any reference to it anywhere on TSR.

How many words should you aim to write for section 2 of the TSA / roughly how many sides of A4?

Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by slow-loris
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find any reference to it anywhere on TSR.

How many words should you aim to write for section 2 of the TSA / roughly how many sides of A4?

Please help!

You only get two sides of A4 and that is what you should use. No more, no less.
Hi all,

Please help!

For my TSA (both mocks and the real one) I wrote about one-and-a-half sides of A4. That's about the right length I reckon, and I have small handwriting. It's content and the structure that matter but definitely aim to write more than a side. Also keep in mind that the actual answer sheet provided would have a heading so the first page would be less than a normal A4, so yes in the actual case you'd probably need to write more than one-and-a-half given the volume taken up by the heading already. :smile:
Reply 3
Do you know where I could find example essays?

Idk about online but there was a book called 'Ace the TSA' by Burton that had example essays in it.

Hi slow-loris,

when it comes to section 2 for the TSA you should make sure you plan your essay very well in order not to be caught short of space. With a bit of practise you should be soon able to fit it all on 2 sides of A4.

You can start with past papers which are available here for free. Just select 'none' for the option Worked solutions to past papers and you should be able to download them.

Our Ultimate TSA Guide book has a great chapter on the TSA essay as well as some example essay. It retails at £14.99 on amazon.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)

The books I can recommend are "Ace the TSA" and "Think you can think". I believe both featured example essays.

Quick Reply

Latest