The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TSR is full of idiots who **** over Oxbridge

I'm one of them myself
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Whoah chill out mate it's not a degree factory where everyone wanders around like robots. There are plenty of societies to get involved with, and if you wanna go out and get drunk at night, or party in your flat, you can, just like anywhere else. The workload is not as constricting as some imply either.

Except it's not. It's in the middle of nowhere with nobody
Original post by Athematica

It was damn good PR calling it Warwick and not something like 'Coventry Fields'.

I remember visiting friends there and it seemed like it was pretty close to Leamington where they lived, which is a nice town really.
Reply 23
Original post by Athematica

Yes it's in the middle of nowhere (well, even that's a bit of a stretch to say - it isn't exactly far to get "somewhere"). But it's a campus uni. In first year at least you have a large community. There are loads of events, loads of people partying, it is not even close to being dead. Coventry isn't the most picturesque place but you can still go out. I am not sure what opportunities you think people are missing.
I don't hate the university, but rather the city of Coventry. Most of the gripes that I hear about Warwick is that it's next to Coventry. I always thought that it was actually in Warwick (a much better place with Warwick Castle etc...)
I've had many experiences with Coventry due to me living rather close to it, and it is literally one of the worst places ever in my opinion. There's not much to do, with the nightlife being rather limited. The only attractions there are pretty much the Ricoh Arena and the Ikea :colonhash:.

Then again, a few of my friends are going there to study Maths. Having been to the Warwick University campus, it is quite 'concrete-based'. However, I would've applied to Warwick if they offered my course...
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes it's in the middle of nowhere (well, even that's a bit of a stretch to say - it isn't exactly far to get "somewhere":wink:. But it's a campus uni. In first year at least you have a large community. There are loads of events, loads of people partying, it is not even close to being dead. Coventry isn't the most picturesque place but you can still go out. I am not sure what opportunities you think people are missing.

You'd be a bit ghettoised. In Edinburgh, or Bristol, you become part of a real city, where you would want to have links if you weren't a student, with non-students.
totally different experience IMO.
It's definitely not a 'bad' university. However, it is relatively young (about 50 years or so) and so it doesn't quite command the same general prestige, outside academia, as other universities. Academically it is formidable in its research into mathematics and economics, at least, which ultimately translates itself into decidedly difficult course content (even miles ahead of other RG universities).
Original post by Serine Soul
TSR is full of idiots who **** over Oxbridge

I'm one of them myself

At least you're honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree that it's weird. Coming from the states, Warwick is deemed as a prestigious university all over the world. It has a strong reputation yet some people on TSR hate it that much, I guess you have to leave it aside. The reputation, graduate prospects, and average grade speaks for itself. At the end of the day, Warwick may be an Oxbridge Reject uni, but it is still amongst the top 10 and no matter what people say, the reputation will still live. :smile:
Original post by Princepieman
At least you're honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honesty is the best policy ygm
The reason is quite simple.
Because they envy Warwick.
Original post by Ladbants
On the "most prestigious universities" list people were getting mad that Warwick was being considered a top uni by some. And there were other threads too were Warwick just seems to get called out for having a high offer rate.

I know it's not as prestigious as the very very top unis but it's still pretty damn good for a lot of subjects. Even though it has a high offer rate, it's entry requirements are pretty high (A*AA for some courses) and it's generally great for career opportunities and stuff like that.

Warwick is good university - in the sense that any one who attends it will have good job prospects and will have a good education. But it's not prestigious by any stretch of the word. Its just not. Sorry!
Original post by AmyAlbertsLamb
I agree that it's weird. Coming from the states, Warwick is deemed as a prestigious university all over the world. It has a strong reputation yet some people on TSR hate it that much, I guess you have to leave it aside. The reputation, graduate prospects, and average grade speaks for itself. At the end of the day, Warwick may be an Oxbridge Reject uni, but it is still amongst the top 10 and no matter what people say, the reputation will still live. :smile:

Ha! You have got to be kidding me. It's not considered "prestigious all over the world" - I wonder where you got this impression from.

Warwick is just a good university that's all. Nothing to inflate your egos over. Jeez.
UCL > Warwick
Everyone knows this.
Original post by Scruffyjoe
Ha! You have got to be kidding me. It's not considered "prestigious all over the world" - I wonder where you got this impression from.

Warwick is just a good university that's all. Nothing to inflate your egos over. Jeez.

They're American

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coventry is lit stop hating
Reply 36
Original post by cashcash871
Yeah Bristol does look really nice tbh
Full of Oxbridge rejects tho

Warwick is full of people who got rejected from Oxbridge and are smart enough for Oxbridge.

Bristol is full of people who got rejected but aren't smart enough.
Original post by Fujitaro
Warwick is full of people who got rejected from Oxbridge and are smart enough for Oxbridge.

Bristol is full of people who got rejected but aren't smart enough.

1. the first statement only applies to a few of Warwick's courses

2. Bristol has plenty of Oxbridge rejects who were smart enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Ladbants
On the "most prestigious universities" list people were getting mad that Warwick was being considered a top uni by some. And there were other threads too were Warwick just seems to get called out for having a high offer rate.

I know it's not as prestigious as the very very top unis but it's still pretty damn good for a lot of subjects. Even though it has a high offer rate, it's entry requirements are pretty high (A*AA for some courses) and it's generally great for career opportunities and stuff like that.

Its jealousy. But of course not from people at unis ranked higher than Warwick (ie. Oxbrige, LSE, Imperial, UCL), but from all the unis ranked lower (i.e. every other uni)

Warwick is barely more than 50 years old, and people see Warwick grads being like of the top 5/6 unis employers in the highest paying fields recruit from (IB, Law, Consulting) and they get mad jealous as f**k, so they have to hate on it to feel better about being at their sh*tty uni that gets relatively little or no attention from the top firms.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't understand the thing about "X being a place for rejects of Y"...

Practically every university which isn't low ranked, will have plenty of rejects from other higher ranked universities...

Latest

Trending

Trending