The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by george1999
Anyone know when the grade boundaries come out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wednesday, AQA- 8am Edexcel and OCR anytime on the 17th
Original post by george1999
Anyone know when the grade boundaries come out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel- midnight on the 17th (16/17th night) or so it often is but there's no set time
Aqa- 8am on the 17th
Ocr- sometime on the 17th
Original post by catsinnit
Anybody waiting for results for History, Politics or Classics?

I am a fellow history, it's the only subject that I'm confident I have an A in.
Original post by catsinnit
Anybody waiting for results for History, Politics or Classics?

I'm waiting for History, Politics and Eng lit.

Need BBB; predicting BBC/ABC/BCC. pls be lenient Southampton D:
Original post by heyit'sme
Hey guys it's me :redface:, basically i know you guys are doing A levels, i'm doing GCSE and getting mine on the 25th. I wanted to ask for your opinion on how you guys will feel if this was GCSE results day - what would your thoughts be compared to getting your A level results. I heard there's somewhat of a jump from the two and would appreciate any replies that i get. thnx.

who the fůck cares about gcses
Original post by PQ
it will vary between universities and courses.

The first phone call will likely be about grades. In some cases that will be all that matters. In others then they'll pass people with the right grades on for consideration (after the phone call) and so they might ring back to have a chat about your interests in the subject. Often that's as much about selling the course and the university to you as it is to check you're suitability.

It's a good idea to do some research while ringing/before hand about the modules and course structure (and facilities) at different universities. That will help demonstrate that you know what you're applying for and have done your homework about it.

Thanks for your reply. Btw since clearing opens at 8am on result's day does that mean some students would have a greater advantage of receiving an offer if they receive their results early or on the morning of results day. The reason I ask is because I have to travel quite far to get my results.
My course at my firm has just come out of clearing 😢😢 this isn't making me feel good at all :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this possible that on 18th august our firm or insurance(incase firm rejected) still shows conditional? what to do if it shows like this??
Reply 4288
Original post by HassanAftab
Is this possible that on 18th august our firm or insurance(incase firm rejected) still shows conditional? what to do if it shows like this??

yes. there's nothing you can really do other than wait
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Thanks for your reply. Btw since clearing opens at 8am on result's day does that mean some students would have a greater advantage of receiving an offer if they receive their results early or on the morning of results day. The reason I ask is because I have to travel quite far to get my results.

There's no real advantage to getting in early. Some universities will review criteria for making offers at about 3-4pm on results if they've been overwhelmed.
Original post by HassanAftab

You get your results and ring your firm. See the flowchart in my sig.
Original post by somevirtualguy
I don't regret my insurance choice, but I've become so used to the idea of going to my firm and so happy about it that my insurance, even though I like it, kinda sucks.

You is me. I am you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CaitlinN15
My course at my firm has just come out of clearing 😢😢 this isn't making me feel good at all :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That could mean you're in
I'm babysitting on the night of the 17th, so I'm hoping I will be so tired by the time I get home I will sleep until 11am when I can get my results.
Original post by mgill17
I admittedly wasn't as scared at GCSE. They are a big deal when you do them at the time and there's still pressure. But I only view qualifications as a sort of 'they're getting me to the next step' thing, and to get into college, I was fine with GCSEs since all I needed was 5 of them and at least Bs in Maths and English to get into college(and I don't want to sound cocky) that was pretty easily attainable for me since my lowest grade prediction was an A and I was doing 10. Although I imagine it's more pressure for Oxbridge candidates because GCSEs are more important to them as far as I'm aware...but I'm not Oxbridge material so:biggrin::biggrin:
At GCSE it was more curiosity than fear of results day.

Now, A Levels. Again, I only see them as the step I need to get to uni. But the difference is the requirements need you to get specific grades in ALL of your subjects. Like at GCSE, if I failed one subject, it would've been fine bc I still had 9 other GCSEs and you pretty much know a college would still take you. But I need all three of my A2 grades now for uni. At GCSE I revised pretty much the night or week before for them but A Levels has been months and months of prep for me, yet I guarantee my grades won't be anything like my GCSE grades. Like GCSE my lowest prediction for A2 is an A but if I get one A I'd honestly be incredibly surprised. If I get a B in Physics I'd be even more shocked tbh. The jump from GCSE to A Level is huge. I'm terrified for results day this year...

Good Luck with your result:smile:

Wow thanks for your reply and what a surprise that was! For GCSE most people (including me) revised for the exams a couple weeks before, but comparing that to months and months is just crazy. And of course there's also the fact that getting into unis is stressful especially with so many applications this year! I wish you the very best in what you get and hope that you achieve what you desire, maybe the months of revision may pay off in the end, good luck, 4 days to go!!!
Does anyone know what time the WJEC grade boundaries are released?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rxns_00
GCSEs have little effect on people unless they're applying to universities which take the GCSE score into account, such as Oxford or UCL.

A level results day is the day we find out if we're going to get into our dream unis onto our chosen courses or if we'll be rejected and have to find something else under pressure. This does actually have an effect on people's lives and will matter in 5 years time, unlike GCSEs, so the stress isn't really comparable to the "stress" I felt a couple years ago for my own GCSE results

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comment. i see why A levels are considered a big jump in terms of the exams being significantly harder and also the overall importance of them for unis and courses that basically determine your direction in life. Good luck i wish you the very best.
Original post by Serine Soul
I feel like GCSE results day was something I was less worried about. On GCSE results, my main worry was hitting the B grades in the subjects I want to study at A Levels (my sixth form required that)

With A Levels though, I literally feel like my future is on the line because it really does determine if I go to uni, and which one I go to!

Yeah i understand, A levels basically choose what you're gonna be and the direction you take ... good luck 4 days !
Original post by PQ
Yes I work for a university. But I am not on TSR as an official rep or interesting in selling or promoting my employer (IMO they're good enough that I don't need to).

It's not appropriate for me to name drop - that's not why I'm here and I'm not here as part of my job.

It's the University of Southampton, isn't it? :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by BB8
For me, GCSE results wasn't too bad tbh, I got a little freaked out but honestly I was never in much doubt that I'd got the grades I needed for sixth form (especially as I'd taken maths in november and already had one A* under my belt).

AS results last year was worse (although with the changes I doubt this will be as bad for students in the coming years) as a) I'd decided I'd done badly in everything and b) I knew these results would affect my uni applications and like my entire future.. I ended up totally freaked out and a teacher ended up having to open the envelope for me (hilarious in hindsight as this teacher knew I'd got 4As)

This year, I'm honestly pretty chill. I messed up one exam pretty badly but, having done well in coursework, I'd need a U in it to miss my insurance offer (ABB), my other two subjects went okay so I'm a good 99.9% sure that there are only two ways results day can go for me - firm and insurance (although insurance is probably more likely). I'm happy with both unis and confident that I won't be in clearing, which has taken a lot of pressure off me tbh

However looking at some of the replies on this thread, I'm definitely one of the lucky ones and most people are decidedly not "pretty chill" about result day aha

i see what you mean, thank you for taking the time to reply, good luck 4 days, the real pressure is on.
Goodluck all!

Quick Reply

Latest