The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thevamps99xo
I prefer to use a countdown app :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :smile:
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48

I was quite shocked to see what my teachers predicted me originally. Really shocked. It was ridiculous. It was like GCSE predictions all over again.
Original post by target21859
I was quite shocked to see what my teachers predicted me originally. Really shocked. It was ridiculous. It was like GCSE predictions all over again.

Does that mean high predictions or lower predictions

And if only my teachers allow me to predict myself I'd b like so overjoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by target21859

One of my predictions was an A* and I didn't even have to beg for it yet another subject I begged for an A prediction and they wouldn't give it ; it really seems to depend on the teachers. Some will predict whatever you want but others get scared and won't budge on them.
Original post by JMACM98
Ring admissions for Liverpool first thing Monday and explain the situation to them and ask them to let you go if you do make it onto their course on results day. It's a little late now so they may not be able to do anything about it as track is down until results day, so if not then ring back on results day if you get in and again ask to be let go. They won't be happy about it probably but just be insistent. Get confirmation in writing and ask for the persons name who you're speaking to so you have reference and proof. I think it can take up to 10 days for them to let you go so in the meantime you can look at courses on clearing that you're interested in or if you're taking a gap year and reapplying then just chill out until then

If I get released by them on Monday am I likely to be able to go through clearing on Thursday do you think?
I don't wanna go to my insurance. If I ring up on Monday and say I wanna be released will it be too late !!?
Reply 4326
If you drop a grade in the subject you want to study at university, how negatively will that reflect on your application? I want to study English (need three As including English) and I got an A last year, A* in my coursework and have done a few essay competitions/EPQ in which I've been rewarded highly. However, during my exam, I was sat directly in front of two invigilators who would not stop chatting and I'm not trying to blame them but it was massively distracting and I barely finished my exam in time. It was a pretty bad one and I think I'm going to have done badly to be honest. Do you think universities will understand that it was just a bad day or will it be the end of my chances? I'm so scared to get the results :frown:
Original post by PQ
Nope :biggrin:

Dang. I was so sure due to the number of posts you'd made in that forum.
Original post by fefssdf
One of my predictions was an A* and I didn't even have to beg for it yet another subject I begged for an A prediction and they wouldn't give it ; it really seems to depend on the teachers. Some will predict whatever you want but others get scared and won't budge on them.

I have a feeling it will be the same for me
Some teachers will predict me up if I need to but some seem like they wouldn't budge well see how it goes though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does that mean high predictions or lower predictions

And if only my teachers allow me to predict myself I'd b like so overjoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lower predictions.
Original post by fldem
If you drop a grade in the subject you want to study at university, how negatively will that reflect on your application? I want to study English (need three As including English) and I got an A last year, A* in my coursework and have done a few essay competitions/EPQ in which I've been rewarded highly. However, during my exam, I was sat directly in front of two invigilators who would not stop chatting and I'm not trying to blame them but it was massively distracting and I barely finished my exam in time. It was a pretty bad one and I think I'm going to have done badly to be honest. Do you think universities will understand that it was just a bad day or will it be the end of my chances? I'm so scared to get the results :frown:

Unfortunately you're gonna look bad if they wanted say AAA and you get a B in the subject you've applied for as most people will drop a grade in another subject but who knows they might still let you in but if they're going through the ' near ' misses and you're the only one who dropped a grade in the actual degree subject then you could end up at the bottom of the pile but you have no idea how many other people have dropped a grade and whether it was in the degree subject or something else ? You'll still look better than those who drop more than a grade so it could be worse. Just wait and see what happens. Really hope you get into somewhere you'll enjoy :biggrin:
Original post by fefssdf

Well my French teacher said I was easily capable of an A* and given that I got 196/200 at AS I was very surprised to be predicted an A but I changed it myself with my tutor. Same for further maths. Physics I was predicted a B which is fair enough because I got a B at AS so that was fine. I did bump it up to an A though lol
I have a feeling it will be the same for me
Some teachers will predict me up if I need to but some seem like they wouldn't budge well see how it goes though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must admit tho that A* prediction is gonna be an over estimate whilst the B is likely gonna be what I get so for the most part I would argue teachers who don't budge are the ones who are likely to be accurate . Remember that A2 Is harder and thus it is actually very difficult to bump up your grade even if you're retaking things :/
Original post by elliottls97
Would you recommend looking on UCAS track first or looking at my results first?

To be honest it just depends on the person and how they're feeling on the day. Personally I'm going to see my results first.
Reply 4334
Original post by fefssdf
Unfortunately you're gonna look bad if they wanted say AAA and you get a B in the subject you've applied for as most people will drop a grade in another subject but who knows they might still let you in but if they're going through the ' near ' misses and you're the only one who dropped a grade in the actual degree subject then you could end up at the bottom of the pile but you have no idea how many other people have dropped a grade and whether it was in the degree subject or something else ? You'll still look better than those who drop more than a grade so it could be worse. Just wait and see what happens. Really hope you get into somewhere you'll enjoy :biggrin:

Thank you. I'm so gutted! English has always been the thing I'm good at so it was so demoralising when I messed up the exam. Fingers crossed I suppose. Good luck to you too.
Original post by fldem
Thank you. I'm so gutted! English has always been the thing I'm good at so it was so demoralising when I messed up the exam. Fingers crossed I suppose. Good luck to you too.

I'm gonna miss my offer over my English grade but I wanna do maths at uni so hopefully they aren't that strict about it but I'm preparing myself for my insurance/ clearing :/
What does it mean when your university enters clearing for your chosen course when they were not ? Does that mean you missed your place ?
Original post by Anniewoo
If I get released by them on Monday am I likely to be able to go through clearing on Thursday do you think?

As I said it can take up to 10 days so it really does depend on how quickly they go through the process. Just beg and plead and ask them to do it as quickly as possible and hopefully they'll understand. You can still ring unis for their clearing courses on Thursday, you'll just have to explain that you can't enter it into UCAS yet because you have to get released from your firm

EDIT: re read your reply lol. Yeah if they agree to release you they won't be able to actually do it till Thursday cause obv they need to see if you get in, but if you do and they do it on the day then sure you'll be able to go through clearing
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4338
Original post by Franckenstar
What does it mean when your university enters clearing for your chosen course when they were not ? Does that mean you missed your place ?

Nothing really.
Original post by Franckenstar

It means they expect to have spaces available which means they might have accepted more people who missed their offer but alternatively they could reject everyone who misses their offers and will use clearing to get people with the required grades but this depends on the course and how popular it is ? If it's asking for AAA normally then expect clearing to mean that they're accepting more people who missed their offers

Quick Reply