The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

To those who have done it, did QR mainly consist of data tables/schematics/graphs/pie charts? If so, were they wordy and long to do or straightforward requiring 1 to 3 steps of calculations?
Original post by emer.b
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
My UKCAT is on Wednesday and in my mocks I'm practically skipping and guessing most of VR and QR (although in VR I got 600 which isn't awful). The other sections are fine I think. QR is particularly bad for me, I can't do any of the sums in under 40 seconds. Is that normal? Should I reschedule for early September? I'm an Irish student so I dunno if I'm even gonna be able to afford going studying in the UK after brexit so basically I'm not sure if it's worth rescheduling and eating into school time. But then again, most UK unis are ranked better than Irish ones so I'd prefer to go there if I don't get my first choice in Ireland. Anyway I'd be so grateful for any advice cause I'm kinda freaking out. Thanks in advance!

I'm the same with QR. There's no way I can do the sums in the time given and it always makes me panic! I'm just going to have to hope for a really good score on the other 3 so it balances QR out!
Good luck with yours you'll do great i'm sure. Mines the day before yours!
Original post by Lostperson
Anyone want to join my whasapp prep group? Guess we can just send each other tips, practice questions?

I do please!!
are the kaplan practice tests harder or the same as the real thing?
Original post by Harpal10
I got 667 and 650 in the two medify ones I've done so far, but my score on the official mock went down to a 614 average :/ I don't think I'm getting worse though, the difficulty of the mocks isn't consistent between medify and the official ukcat website.

Although I've heard that some sections (except VR) are on par/easier than medify so I'm trying to just practice enough right now - especially comprehension and QR

I honestly thought I was the only one who thought the ukcat mocks were a lot harder than medify. To be honest my main problem is VR right now, I get an average of about 650-730 for AR and QR but I keep getting below 600 for VR which pulls it all down. When's your exam?
Original post by raniafern
:five: All the best for tomorrow :hugs:

Thank you so much!:h: When's your exam?
Original post by TianaEsther
I honestly thought I was the only one who thought the ukcat mocks were a lot harder than medify. To be honest my main problem is VR right now, I get an average of about 650-730 for AR and QR but I keep getting below 600 for VR which pulls it all down. When's your exam?
My VR always pulls me down as it's always between 550-650 but I'm trying to get my VR as well as my other sections up because I usually get quite high for AR and it brings my average up a lot. Honestly though for you, I'm sure you've done lots of practice. If you're doing practice today for VR, solely do the comprehension and long passage questions. Also leave a little bit of time today to review and reflect on your mocks, the ones on medify which are saved - at least then you can see why and how you got questions wrong. Just try to be mentally prepared for tomorrow, GL 👍🏼

Mines on 18th Aug
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone find medify mock 2 way harder than mock 1? Got 740 average for mock 1 but only 690 in mock 2, plz don't say this is only me :s-smilie:
Original post by isabella1999
Anyone find medify mock 2 way harder than mock 1? Got 740 average for mock 1 but only 690 in mock 2, plz don't say this is only me :s-smilie:

I got 730 average on the first mock, haven't done the second mock yet though. I'll get back to you in a couple of hours!

Have u done the official UKCAT A mock, because I went down to 707 on that. The QR section was so f***ing hard
Original post by Harpal10
My VR always pulls me down as it's always between 550-650 but I'm trying to get my VR as well as my other sections up because I usually get quite high for AR and it brings my average up a lot. Honestly though for you, I'm sure you've done lots of practice. If you're doing practice today for VR, solely do the comprehension and long passage questions. Also leave a little bit of time today to review and reflect on your mocks, the ones on medify which are saved - at least then you can see why and how you got questions wrong. Just try to be mentally prepared for tomorrow, GL 👍🏼

Mines on 18th Aug

Thanks so much for your advise, I really appreciate it! :smile: Today I might try to do the UKCAT B & C Mocks as I haven't done them before and then I'll review my other mocks once more. I'll also practice again on the comprehension questions using medify. Thanks again and good luck for your exam too, I hope you smash it :h:
Original post by natalia.medicine
Does anyone know were I can find/buy more mocks? I have done the medify ones and the official ones.

University Admissions sell two UKCAT mocks on their website. They did the 1,200 Q book but it's quite pricey.
Original post by studentsixth
University Admissions sell two UKCAT mocks on their website. They did the 1,200 Q book but it's quite pricey.

Thanks!
Original post by MoshBosh
I got 730 average on the first mock, haven't done the second mock yet though. I'll get back to you in a couple of hours!

Have u done the official UKCAT A mock, because I went down to 707 on that. The QR section was so f***ing hard

Are you having a laugh...went down to 707....... thats amaaing, i cant even get 700 on any of them...like u will have no problem with this test
Anyone else find the MOCK A really hard :frown: only got 600 ave on it! :frown: the QR one was awful, only got 13 correct but normally get 80% in practice, how does this mock compare to the real thing!??!
Hi guys. Help. How can improve my scores, for first mock on modify I have average of 590😁My test is on Tuesday. Think I may have to postpone . What your results for that mock?
Original post by Charms tee
Hi guys. Help. How can improve my scores, for first mock on modify I have average of 590😁My test is on Tuesday. Think I may have to postpone . What your results for that mock?

its just cuz u panicked, u willl be fine dont worry :smile: postponing it often doesnt make a differnce, stay calm and u will be fine :smile:
Original post by clairebear101
its just cuz u panicked, u willl be fine dont worry :smile: postponing it often doesnt make a differnce, stay calm and u will be fine :smile:

Thanks. My timings are slow. The questions I do are correct but very slow. Any ideas to improve speed?

On the first medify mock I got:

VR: 800
QR: 670
AR: 700
SJT: Band 1

Average: 723

If you want any help in any of the sections, don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Am I the only one whose scores on the medify mocks have changed? What I mean is that I had done them a while back and I went to review them and my AR score went from 600 to 900 somehow. Also do our results depend on who takes the test with us that day?
Thanks. My timings are slow. The questions I do are correct but very slow. Any ideas to improve speed?

Remember all the questions are worth the same marks. Guess and flag the hard questions and review them at the end.

Never get held up on one question, as you will end up running out of time.

Apart from SJT, always read the statement first, then scan the passage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending