The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123chem
Anyone, please? I got 5 days left for mine :smile:

I would recommend medify defiantly!
Original post by natalia.medicine
Am I the only one whose scores on the medify mocks have changed? What I mean is that I had done them a while back and I went to review them and my AR score went from 600 to 900 somehow. Also do our results depend on who takes the test with us that day?

No, the score you get is compared to students who first took the test in 2006!! That's why you don't need a full marks to get 900 :smile:.
Original post by lmarrable
Thank you so much for the tips! When I took this timed mock, it was my first practice, so I had no technique or awareness of timing. I'm hoping to now use this technique and do a lot better! Thanks again

You're very welcome!

Good luck with your test.

UniAdmissions
how did you lot find UKCAT mock B?
Original post by MoshBosh
Remember all the questions are worth the same marks. Guess and flag the hard questions and review them at the end.

Never get held up on one question, as you will end up running out of time.

Apart from SJT, always read the statement first, then scan the passage.

To be honest, I am not sure if read question first then scan works for everyone. I have ADHD and it is very distracting for me to scan, as this requires that my attention shift extremely fast from sentence to sentence and I end up looking around the text without actually taking in the meaning. Many dyslexic people have some trouble, or people that are not good inn scanning anyway. What I do is I read the whole text very concentrated but fast, I use the cursor to move across the sentences to keepp my focus and pace and then I find that I have retained the info and can answer questions much faster, and very rarely need go back and if I do need go back in the text, I remember much better where I read the relevant info. That is for verbal reasoning. For quantitative now I read question first and then go to table as I need know what I am looking for. For abstract def see sets first then go to question. Cuz the point is to get the right pattern then questions can all be answered in 2-3 seconds each if you know pattern. idk hope this helps you, as I tried the scanning and I failed last year got 590 in VR it def does not work for anyone.
I got 730 average on the first mock, haven't done the second mock yet though. I'll get back to you in a couple of hours!

Have u done the official UKCAT A mock, because I went down to 707 on that. The QR section was so f***ing hard

No I havnt done that one yet! That's good though as from what I have heard, that one is a lot harder than the real thing :smile:
On the first medify mock I got:

VR: 800
QR: 670
AR: 700
SJT: Band 1

Average: 723

If you want any help in any of the sections, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

VR...how?!
No, the score you get is compared to students who first took the test in 2006!! That's why you don't need a full marks to get 900 :smile:.

I see, thank you ! :smile:
Is anyone going to do the decision making section?
Is anyone going to do the decision making section?

Personally, I did it. You have more than enough time for it and it keeps you focused, do you might as well. It helps the UKCAT people, and it helps you if it goes wrong and you have to reapply next year.
Original post by ronnydandam
how did you lot find UKCAT mock B?

Anyone else find the MOCK A really hard only got 600 ave on it! the QR one was awful, only got 13 correct but normally get 80% in practice, how does this mock compare to the real thing!??!
Original post by Gogregg
Personally, I did it. You have more than enough time for it and it keeps you focused, do you might as well. It helps the UKCAT people, and it helps you if it goes wrong and you have to reapply next year.

How did you find the test?
How did you find the test?

The entire UKCAT or just DM?
Original post by Gogregg
The entire UKCAT or just DM?

Sorry, I meant the entire UKCAT.
Sorry, I meant the entire UKCAT.

I personally didn't find it to be awful, but i did well in it.

VR is always a bit iffy, but i didn't particularly notice much of a jump in difficulty from Medify, but i was probably too focused to care about that. This was my worst section, but i wasnt surprised by that.

DM is just a bit weird, and there was way too much time for it. I finished with over 5 minutes to go. I find it difficult to explain what it was like, since there was such a mix of questions. But similar questions seemed to be grouped together. This is when I started noticing that it was actually quite cold in the room, which was somewhat nice considering it was one of the hottest days of the year outside, but bring a jumper in case you get too cold, because it does start to distract you.

QR i didn't find too bad either, the timing was fine for me, even though i did get stuck on a few questions. If you do get stuck, just guess it, flag it and move right on. I was helped in this section by the fact that i am naturally good at maths, so i guess i felt quite confident for it. I always knew i could get the score i did get. This was my highest score.

AR was decent, i was used to it at this point and there was only two or three questions that really threw me off (i still don't know what those triangles were :lol: ) , but it went quite quickly and i just enjoyed it :colondollar:

SJT is the same as Medify. The marking is better for it though, i think. I hate SJT because it feels like you have to much time and i always start doubting my answers, but i managed get band 1 so I'm fine :u:

When doing the exam, use the shortcuts and don't be afraid to guess an answer, it to flag an answer and move on. The flag function is an actual life saver!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
I personally didn't find it to be awful, but i did well in it.

VR is always a bit iffy, but i didn't particularly notice much of a jump in difficulty from Medify, but i was probably too focused to care about that. This was my worst section, but i wasnt surprised by that.

DM is just a bit weird, and there was way too much time for it. I finished with over 5 minutes to go. I find it difficult to explain what it was like, since there was such a mix of questions. But similar questions seemed to be grouped together. This is when I started noticing that it was actually quite cold in the room, which was somewhat nice considering it was one of the hottest days of the year outside, but bring a jumper in case you get too cold, because it does start to distract you.

QR i didn't find too bad either, the timing was fine for me, even though i did get stuck on a few questions. If you do get stuck, just guess it, flag it and move right on. I was helped in this section by the fact that i am naturally good at maths, so i guess i felt quite confident for it. I always knew i could get the score i did get. This was my highest score.

AR was decent, i was used to it at this point and there was only two or three questions that really threw me off (i still don't know what those triangles were :lol: ) , but it went quite quickly and i just enjoyed it :colondollar:
SJT is the same as Medify. The marking is better for it though, i think. I hate SJT because it feels like you have to much time and i always start doubting my answers, but i managed get band 1 so I'm fine :u:

When doing the exam, use the shortcuts and don't be afraid to guess an answer, it to flag an answer and move on. The flag function is an actual life saver!

Thank you so much!! :smile: Good luck with you application! Except of medify, what else did you use to revise?
Original post by clairebear101
Anyone else find the MOCK A really hard only got 600 ave on it! the QR one was awful, only got 13 correct but normally get 80% in practice, how does this mock compare to the real thing!??!

found Mock A easier than mock B, got 720 avg and mock B I got 700 avg
Original post by TianaEsther
Thank you so much!:h: When's your exam?

Tomorrow! :rofl: :five:
Thank you! I will look for them. I hope everything goes alright with your exam and your application :smile:

Aww, thanks :hugs: I'll let you guys know tomorrow... hopefully :crossedf:
Original post by raniafern
Aww, thanks :hugs: I'll let you guys know tomorrow... hopefully :crossedf:

You're welcome :hugs:Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending