The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
The only other resources i used was the ISC 1000 Qs, but i only really used it for the tips after a while because the questions were just horrific.

Keep your cool in the exam and you'll be fine :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:
Does anyone have any tips for AR?
Original post by ronnydandam
Idek, I know people who do it. What is that??

It's an Indian education system :angry:

I'm Portuguese, but the best schools here in the UAE were CBSE when I was young. They still have the highest success rates at uni and least dropouts - obviously, it's like asking someone who swam the Atlantic to then swim the English Channel. Piece o' cake. But if you swam across a river, perhaps the Channel would be a little difficult. And if people dropout, it's not in uni. They do that in school, by dropping out of life... if you get what I mean.

Thus, I'm in one of the most pressurizing systems in the world. It's amazing to get your basics right in Science and Maths. But you should move to O-Levels in Year 8. I told my parents not to make the same mistake with my brother. :biggrin:
Original post by MoshBosh
I always read the statement first, then scan the text for keywords. If I don't get an answer within 30s, I guess, flag and move on.

I seem to find VR really easy and QR difficult. For most people its the other way round! :smile:

Oui, for me it's both. AR is my best friend at the moment :woo:
For VR, I always read the question first. Then, I scan the text for keywords and read the sentence before and after the keywords. This helps put the sentence in context and will allow you to get a more informed answer. If I take any more than 30s on the comprehension questions, I guess, flag and move on. If I have time at the end, I will review the flagged questions. For the true/false questions, I aim to spend no longer than 15s on the questions. This gives me some luxury time to spend on the more difficult questions. Make sure that on VR, you never use your own knowledge, and you never assume an answer. As the UKCAT will try and catch you out with these questions. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by raniafern
Tomorrow! :rofl: :five:

All the best! Hope you smash it :h:
Original post by natalia.medicine
Does anyone have any tips for AR?

Oui, I do!

The most important one IMO is to note down all the patterns. Go through them later while you're revising or before any mock.
Original post by TianaEsther
All the best! Hope you smash it :h:

It's an Indian education system :angry:

I'm Portuguese, but the best schools here in the UAE were CBSE when I was young. They still have the highest success rates at uni and least dropouts - obviously, it's like asking someone who swam the Atlantic to then swim the English Channel. Piece o' cake. But if you swam across a river, perhaps the Channel would be a little difficult. And if people dropout, it's not in uni. They do that in school, by dropping out of life... if you get what I mean.

Thus, I'm in one of the most pressurizing systems in the world. It's amazing to get your basics right in Science and Maths. But you should move to O-Levels in Year 8. I told my parents not to make the same mistake with my brother. :biggrin:

damn, I'm Indian so yeah I've heard how hard it is there, people can fail years and get held back a year and stuff :/ although when I did look at my cousin's maths test it did seem quite easy compared to what we do over here :colondollar: Although there everyone gets 95% and anything below is considered poor right? Like some cut offs are 99% for Unis in India? Any reason you're applying to UK unis?
Original post by MoshBosh
I always read the statement first, then scan the text for keywords. If I don't get an answer within 30s, I guess, flag and move on.

I seem to find VR really easy and QR difficult. For most people its the other way round! :smile:

I used to find VR easy in practice questions but as soon as I did the mocks... I have no idea what happened :colondollar: thanks for the tips
damn, I'm Indian so yeah I've heard how hard it is there, people can fail years and get held back a year and stuff :/ although when I did look at my cousin's maths test it did seem quite easy compared to what we do over here :colondollar: Although there everyone gets 95% and anything below is considered poor right? Like some cut offs are 99% for Unis in India? Any reason you're applying to UK unis?

:woo: :party: :dance:
I guessed it from your name! Yayyyy! Which part? You in the UK though, right? Good, stay there :rofl:

Um, NO! Which test was it? Don't look at tests, look at EXAMS! :colone: Oh and be careful, because in India there are MANY education boards. There's the main one, CBSE, then there are some individual state boards and then there's Bihar :angry: :colonhash: Bihar board are the dudes that spoil the name of Indian education, they're the reason why we aren't accepted at Cambridge!

No, not everyone gets 95%. If we did, it wouldn't be a good education system. That's AIIMS dude. See, the population of India is 1.1b. There are so many people graduating each year. The chances of finding 99%+ people are pretty high then, don't you think? So AIIMS, which is a top Indian institute wants only the best students.

Because Portuguese unis teach in Portuguese and I don't want that.
(edited 7 years ago)
:woo: :party: :dance:
I guessed it from your name! Yayyyy! Which part? You in the UK though, right? Good, stay there :rofl:

Um, NO! Which test was it? Don't look at tests, look at EXAMS! :sexface: (That's supposed to be a creepy smile btw) Oh and be careful, because in India there are MANY education boards. There's the main one, CBSE, then there are some individual state boards and then there's Bihar :angry: :colonhash: Bihar board are the dudes that spoil the name of Indian education, they're the reason why we aren't accepted at Cambridge!

No, not everyone gets 95%. If we did, it wouldn't be a good education system. That's AIIMS dude. See, the population of India is 1.1b. There are so many people graduating each year. The chances of finding 99%+ people are pretty high then, don't you think? So AIIMS, which is a top Indian institute wants only the best students.

Because Portuguese unis teach in Portuguese and I don't want that.

Mate this isn't my name I literally made up this name when making my TSR account hahaha but yes I will stay here defo. He lives in Delhi so I'm guessing it's the main one, I was thinking 95% would be considered average as he was literally crying his eyes out because he got 93% overall in his exams one year and yeah true with the high population and what about the unis in UAE though?

Edit: I am from Delhi
(edited 7 years ago)
Mate this isn't my name I literally made up this name when making my TSR account hahaha but yes I will stay here defo. He lives in Delhi so I'm guessing it's the main one, I was thinking 95% would be considered average as he was literally crying his eyes out because he got 93% overall in his exams one year and yeah true with the high population and what about the unis in UAE though?

Edit: I am from Delhi

Now you tell me :colonhash:
Original post by Picturesque2016
Anyone who was subscribed to Medify how did you do in the online mock tests? How dd the mock tests compare to the actual UKCAT exam? I have been studying for 4 weeks but my marks don't seem to improve, the range is more or less the same, average around 1900 (VR, QR & AR). I'm worried! My exam date is next week. I don't expect to do magically better unless someone tells me that the actual exam is marked liniently or that you tend to score better in the actual exam. To those who got over 700, were you getting the same result during your practice sessions?
Any guidance? Should I postpone my exam date? Please help!

Hey, I was averaging 650-670 in my medify mocks and surprisingly got 750 avg in my real thing! So I wouldn't worry about it as most people seem to improve during the actual test x
I just attempted the second UKCAT mock and whilst I was doing abstract reasoning, when I got to around question 25, the shapes just disappeared and I was left with only the answers :colonhash:has this happened to anyone else?
Original post by TianaEsther
I just attempted the second UKCAT mock and whilst I was doing abstract reasoning, when I got to around question 25, the shapes just disappeared and I was left with only the answers :colonhash:has this happened to anyone else?

Meow? :confused:
Is this on Medify? Perhaps you'll have to go to the previous Q and return to this one. Or just reload the whole thing, you know cancel and restart.
How do the online mocks on the UKCAT website compare to the actual test? Because me scores are pretty bad:s-smilie:
Original post by Gogregg
Personally, I did it. You have more than enough time for it and it keeps you focused, do you might as well. It helps the UKCAT people, and it helps you if it goes wrong and you have to reapply next year.

Wait, so it isn't compulsory to do the decision making section?
Original post by Matcha123
Wait, so it isn't compulsory to do the decision making section?

Nope, you don't even get a score at the end! But, you can use those 30 minutes to write down formulas for QR and familiarise yourself with the calculator :smile:
I'm really struggling with the UKCAT. I've been using Medify for nearly a month and just not seeing that much improvement. On Mock 1 I got avg 710 which I was really pleased about but when I done Mock 2 I went down to 645. My test is a week on Wednesday and I don't know if I'm ready. Has anyone done better on the real test than on Medify?? Any help really appreciated.

Also, is medic portal question bank worth investing in for the next week? Even though I've not finished Medify questions but only have SJ and mock 3 to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending