The Student Room Group

Computer specs for computer science

Hi,

In September I will be going to uni to do a computer science course. I'm going to purchase a desktop for £399 that has these specs shown in the image below. I will also be buying a dedicated graphics card (nvedia GTX 950) as well as another 8gb of RAM. Would you say the pc will be sufficient for a normal computer science course and programming and will it still be a good PC in about 2 years time. I know it's cheap but I'm on a tight budget. Thanks in advance1471182249999.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my laptop 4 years ago prior to enrolling in compsci. And it still works today.
Yes that looks okay, though I'm an Intel fanboy so I'd recommend them instead of AMD :colondollar:

This is more than enough for compsci, it won't be very strenuous on your PC

EDIT: Oh, and I'd recommend building your own, if you're interested in compsci you probably know your **** already :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by samhelyes
Hi,

In September I will be going to uni to do a computer science course. I'm going to purchase a desktop for £399 that has these specs shown in the image below. I will also be buying a dedicated graphics card (nvedia GTX 950) as well as another 8gb of RAM. Would you say the pc will be sufficient for a normal computer science course and programming and will it still be a good PC in about 2 years time. I know it's cheap but I'm on a tight budget. Thanks in advance1471182249999.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need any high spec computer, and any decent computer or laptop will do. Every universities have computer labs for their CS students (generally opened 24/7 at some unis) to use if they are in need of a high spec computer
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is more than enough for compSci, its even good for a bit of gaming, however you have an integrated graphics card and not a dedicated one. Mind I ask, from which shop are you buying this dekstop from?
Personally would recommend you try a build if you have the money to take a little bit of risk. I have done 2 now and not broken anything, with no computer background and simply self-teaching using YouTube.
A trash can running linux is good enough for comp sci.

but man, invest in a graphics card
Reply 7
Original post by Chaz W
Yes that looks okay, though I'm an Intel fanboy so I'd recommend them instead of AMD :colondollar:

This is more than enough for compsci, it won't be very strenuous on your PC

EDIT: Oh, and I'd recommend building your own, if you're interested in compsci you probably know your **** already :smile:

Yeah I'd get an intel but its way more expensive and my budget is very tight😂 and as for building a PC I looked into it and it would have cost me around the same price for the one I purchasing and so i thought i may as well buy one thats already built

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by shawn_o1
I got my laptop 4 years ago prior to enrolling in compsci. And it still works today.

Great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Hashtosh302
This is more than enough for compSci, its even good for a bit of gaming, however you have an integrated graphics card and not a dedicated one. Mind I ask, from which shop are you buying this dekstop from?

It's from Curry's/PC World. Link here http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/cyberpower-empire-gt-ii-gaming-pc-10141718-pdt.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by bigboateng_
A trash can running linux is good enough for comp sci.

but man, invest in a graphics card

Yeah I'm going to be buying an extra 8GB of RAM as well as an Nvidea GTX 950 graphics card

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
more than powerful enough. compsci doesn't necessarily require a huge amount of power unless using the likes of unity or graphics software.
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do these things scrap the HDD and get an SSD.

Have a look at novatech they do custom builds.

Also don't buy the OS check here

https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Default.aspx?tab=2&wa=wsignin1.0

If your uni has a membership if they do you can get two copies of Windows 10 pro free for life
Yeah I'd get an intel but its way more expensive and my budget is very tight😂 and as for building a PC I looked into it and it would have cost me around the same price for the one I purchasing and so i thought i may as well buy one thats already built

Posted from TSR Mobile

Novatech custom build desktops to your spec have a look at them.
If you couldn't build a PC way better than that for £400 including a 750 Ti or 950 I'd be shocked.
Reply 15
I just got a HP Envy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending